The breakup and the fight

If you're with me, then everything's alright

 

I looked directly into Zelo’s eyes full of desperation. Without me having to say anything, Zelo quickly marched over to Youngguk and pushed him aside. He was taller than Youngguk but his physical strength was no match for him. Zelo planted himself in front of me, acting as a body shield.

“Get your hands off her!” Zelo said firmly.

“Speak of the devil.” Youngguk said in a slurry manner. He then snickered. “I don’t get why you’re still protecting your precious Noona. She’s tainted goods.”

“It’s because I love her, something that you obviously don’t know how to.”

“How dare you talk to me like this punk?” Youngguk yelled out in rage. Before we knew it, Youngguk’s arm came swinging towards Zelo. However Zelo was too slow to react and he ended up getting hit in his face. The impact of his hit sent Zelo falling onto the floor. His cheeks were bruised and his lips were bleeding. I clenched my hands into a tight fist. This was the first time he had laid hands on Zelo. I didn’t mind that he had hurt me but he had crossed the line when he hit Zelo.

“Get out!” I said. “We’re over Youngguk, please just leave. I’ve had enough.”

“Babe…” Youngguk called out apologetically.

“No, just leave. I’m breaking up with you.”

Youngguk stared intensely at me. “Fine, but before I go, just answer me this. When we were together, did you ever really love me?”

I hesitated for a moment after hearing his question. Somehow I couldn’t seem to answer him.

“I thought so too.” Youngguk replied with a snicker and left my apartment.

As soon as I saw Youngguk leaving my apartment, I fell onto my knees. It was as if the reality of everything that had just happened crashed onto me like an invisible wave.

“Mianhae…” Zelo said softly as he placed his hands on my shoulder.

I shook my head and turned around to face him. He was still bleeding. I quickly went to get the first aid kit. We sat on the sofa and I proceeded to cleaning up his wound. As soon as I was done, he held my hand in his.

“Wae? Are you still in pain?” I asked.

“Aniya, I’m fine. I should be the one asking you that question. I’m here if your need a shoulder to cry on.” Zelo replied.

I pulled Zelo into my arms and bursts into tears. “Youngguk oppa is such a meanie!” I said in between sobs. “How dare he hurt my little Zelo? That jerk!” Even though I was whining like a baby, Zelo simply patted my back.

“Arasso… Just cry it all out.” He said in a gentle tone as if cooing a baby to sleep.

 After I had ran out of tears, I pulled away from Zelo. “Zelo, do you believe him when he said that I was tainted goods?”

Zelo looked deep into my eyes. His expression was as if he was hiding something from me. He finally sighed and said, “I only believe in you.”

I smiled a little upon hearing his answer. I held his head in my hands and gave a little peck on his forehead. “Komawoyo Zelo for being here with me.”

“I’m always here for you noona.” He then sighed. “So are you and Youngguk really over?”

I nodded. “Definitely. He was a jerk for hurting you.”

He let out a soft chuckle. “I should be the least of your worries. But… did you hear what I said earlier? I really meant it.”

 “And I love you too Zelo.”

“But only as a brother, right?”

I nodded again. He then sighed. “What’s wrong?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

“Noona, I really love you more than just…”

“Please just stop!” I said, interrupting him before he could finish. I didn’t like where this conversation was heading. Zelo, however, wasn’t listening.

“Have you ever thought that that’s the reason why you always end up getting hurt? I know that your childhood left a scar on you but just because your dad left your mum, that doesn’t mean all relationships will end that way.”

“That’s just being naïve. Look what happened today. There is no happy ever after for me. That’s why I can’t… We can’t…” I tried to continue but I was chocking on words.

“Don’t you trust me?” He asked with a look of sincerity on his face.

“I trusted Youngguk…” I replied softly. Upon hearing my reply, he hung his head down. I knew he was disappointed and his disappointment was like blades piercing through my heart. But I was still angry at him for bringing it up in the first place.

“I’m tired, I think it’s best if you leave.”

“Yea… I should go…” he said with a tinge of sadness in his voice. As soon as he left my apartment, I felt cold. It was as if all trace of warmness had left.

‘Mianhae Zelo… You saw what happened. I love you too much but there are no happy endings for me. I always screw things up and I can’t risk our friendship like that.’