Pretend 'date'

If you're with me, then everything's alright

 

Before I could react, the doorbell rang.

‘Saved by the bell’ I quickly went to answer the door using this opportunity to escape. When I opened the door, a tall man in a suit stood before me.

“Morning miss. I’m looking for master Daehyun.” The man said.

Daehyun quickly rushed to my side and the man handed him an envelope before leaving.

“What was that about? And how did he know you’re here?” I asked but Daehyun was not listening. He opened the envelope and mentally read the letter inside. As soon as he was done reading, he turned to me and said, “Go get changed.”

“Huh?”

“We’re going out. I’ll explain the rest later.” Daehyun said hastily as he rushed me to my bedroom.

I had no idea what was happening so I simply threw on a pair of jeans, a cute blouse and a knitted sweater. I then headed out to the living room where Daehyun was waiting for me. We went out of my apartment and took the lift down.

 

“So, can you tell me what’s going on now?” I asked.

Daehyun nodded. “That man just now, he works for my grandfather. That letter was from my grandfather.”

“Wait, how does he know that you’re staying at my place?”

“He has his ways of getting information. In the letter, he stated that he wants to see us making an effort and let things flow as naturally as possible. However, if we do not make any progress, he would bring forward the day of our marriage to ‘help’ us speed things up.”

“What?!” I exclaimed, shocked at what I was hearing.

Daehyun let out a small chuckle. “Don’t worry, alright? All we have to do is act like a couple in order for the marriage to be pushed back. Just follow my lead. You ready?” He asked as he held out his hand indicating for me to hold it.

I was hesitant at first but I eventually held his hand. If acting like a ‘couple’ was the only way to delay this marriage, I was willing to give it my best. After all, we were just acting.

With my hand in his, we left the building. A red convertible pulled up and the chauffeur got out of the car. “Your ride for today has arrived, young master.” The chauffeur announced as he passed the keys to Daehyun.

Daehyun thanked him and opened the passenger door for me. I got into the car and Daehyun sat at the driver’s seat and started the engine.

After 30 minutes of traveling, we had arrived in the shopping district of Gangnam, a place I hardly visited as things here were too expensive.

“We’re here.” Daehyun said as he parked the car. We got off and he led me into one of the high-end boutiques. As soon as we entered the shop, we were greeted by a sales assistant. Daehyun exchanged a couple of words with her and she soon showed me around the shop while he sat on a sofa.

I was soon led into the changing room while the woman brought in tons of clothes for me to try on. It was like playing dress up and the clothes were all pretty although it wasn’t exactly my style.

“Are you done changing? Found anything you like?” It was Daehyun’s voice coming from outside the changing room.

I quickly threw on a sleek black dress and walked out. “How does this look?”

“You look amazing… Not that you didn’t look good before. I mean…” he was tripping all over his words and his face was blushing.

I giggled. “Thanks. I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Is this your favorite piece?”

“I guess so.” I replied without thinking.

Daehyun then signaled for the sales assistant who came over with tons of shoes and accessories. After trying on different shoes and accessories, I finally found a set that suited the dress the best. Daehyun then passed his card to the sales assistant. The numbers that showed up on the cash register made my jaw dropped. It was more than my 2 months worth of pay.

We left the shop, hand in hand, and headed back to the car.

“I’ll pay you back for everything.” I said once we got onto the car.

Daehyun patted my head. “Babo… You don’t have to. Think of it as a gift.”

“Are you sure it’s ok?” I asked as I bit my lip.

Daehyun nodded. “You look beautiful in the dress.”

I blushed as my heart starting fluttering slightly. “Babo. You already said that but thanks again.”

Daehyun smiled back and started driving towards home. We made a stop at a nearby café before heading home. The café was pretty much filled with couples and we blended in perfectly. However, I did notice an older man sitting alone reading the newspaper. Daehyun looked at the direction that I was looking and the man immediately hid his face behind the newspaper.

“So you’ve noticed huh?” he asked.

“That guy there is one of your grandfather’s men?”

He nodded in reply.

“Urghhh… It’s like we’re being stalked.” I whined.

“Sorry about that, my grandfather just wants to be sure of things which means that we have to be extra careful.”

When we were done eating, he suggested walking home to make our date seem more convincing and true enough, the man was following as from a distance. We were still holding hands and acting like a normal couple but our act was soon interrupted when a familiar voice called out my name.

 

I turned around and saw Zelo standing a few meters behind us. He stomped towards us and pulled Daehyun’s hand away from mine. However, he was soon stopped by the man who had grabbed his arm back.

“Let go!” Zelo shouted.

Daehyun shot a sharp look at the man and he released his grip on Zelo. The man apologized and retreated.

“Sorry about that. The bodyguards are pretty high strung.” Daehyun said but Zelo was ignoring his apology.

I tugged on Zelo’s arm. “Let’s head back to my apartment ok?” I said to Zelo but he was still angry.

“You guys go ahead. I have some things to settle.” Daehyun said. He nodded at me and left.

“Noona…” Zelo sighed and gave a pout. His anger had subsided. “Why were you being so friendly with him?”

I ruffled his hair and interlocked my arm in his. “I’ll explain everything at my place.”