5th page

The Last Baby Breathe

 


                Myungsoo put Su Ji under the branches of the big tree in the middle of the field. He excused himself then back fifteen minutes later with water, towel, aid, and bandage. Su Ji was still there when he came back, hugging her knee. She didn’t cry anymore. For some reason, it fretted them, no more crying mean no more sounds. The silence they used to cherish now became their fear.

                Myungsoo started from Su Ji’s hand, softly cleaned all the dirt away from her palms, and then carefully treated her scratches. He would flinch every time Su Ji flinched, inwardly thinking that maybe by kissing all her wounds gently, she would feel better.

                Only inwardly, though.

                Then he treated her bleeding knee, and cleaned all the grime away from her feet. He proceeded with her face, wiping all the stains away from her cold pale face.

                She looked way better then.

 

                “I’ll take you home,” Myungsoo finally said for the first time since they got there. “I’ll carry you,” he added. Myungsoo squatted in front of Su Ji and steadied his back, he then signaled Su Ji to climb up.

                Gradually, Myungsoo felt another’s warmth on his back. Starting from her fingers, runs through his shoulders then circled around his neck. Su Ji moved closer, closing the gap of coldness, changed it with warmth for each other.

                Myungsoo stayed still, feeling ease on the tenderness of her touch which embraced him with something he hoped as love. All Myungsoo wanted right now was to be in her embrace like this for forever. But then again, forever was a time. And time had never been in the possession of Myungsoo and Su Ji.

                So, Myungsoo lifted Su Ji with his hands, placing her firmly on his back. Su Ji sneaked her head beside him through his shoulder. She was too light for Myungsoo. She became the burden Myungsoo willing to carry for his entire life without getting tired even for just a mere second. And there, Myungsoo could feel her breath and warmth at the same time, and he realized that nothing more important than knowing she was alive and lively.

                The walk to Su Ji house was both silent and loud. The street was quiet, and almost no pedestrian was in sight. But the mind of the two was screaming inwardly, lethally crushing their thoughts. It was loud, clamorous, it could be deafening, but no voice was in hearing, only in thoughts.

                Myungsoo felt Su Ji embraced him tighter and so Myungsoo chose the longer path to Su Ji’s house. And as the sun set, Su Ji’s embrace became tighter. Myungsoo let Su Ji to do all her tender acts which felt hurt. And as Su Ji buried herself on Myunsoo’s neck, their walk was no longer silent for Su Ji  began to sob there, and finally voiced in crooked voice,

 

                “They said they’ll take me to a better place. There will be fresh air and there will be a lot of medicines. There, my father doesn’t need to pay for my treatment. He doesn’t need to sell everything for my medicine. He can start everything again, building his business from bottom, or just taking a rest, anything will be fine.”

                Myungsoo body stiffened and suddenly he felt numb. His steps felt heavier and the air he breathed in felt like poison. He felt that the burden he carried will soon vanished, but it felt heavier.

 

                “What are you talking about?”

                “I don’t get how could they said they’ll take me to a better place. Is there any better place but here, Myungsoo? They said there’ll be everything there. How could they say that when there won’t be you there, and everything supposed to be you, right?

                But they said everyone will feel better there, and that’s the only thing matter, right? Right, Myungsoo?” Su Ji said breathlessly between her sob, clutching at Myungsoo tighter.

                “I don’t get it, Su Ji. What are you talking about?” Myungsoo asked in worry and frustration. But for some reasons, he didn’t want to stop walking, he didn’t want for Su Ji to get off from his back. Maybe because he was..

                “Afraid. I’m scared Myungsoo. I love you. You know I love you. And you love me to, right? I know. I know you love me.

                We both want to be together. That’s the only thing matter for us, right? But Myungsoo, love has never been enough for both us right?

                “I love you,” Myungsoo chocked out. “Of course I love you.

                So what’s wrong Su Ji? Where..” Myungsoo stopped there, not able to finish his question, not wanting to hear her answer.

 

                “Dr. Lee has a son. He is in university and studying aboard right now. He is a medical student. He..”

 

                “He will take care of me, Myungsoo.”

               

 

 

                There, in that sentence, Myungsoo understood what Su Ji was trying to say.

 


 

bloomingsky axonie23 Aprilxsummer Thank you. I really appreciate your comments.

 

Do leave a comment or even a review. Thank you for readers and subscribers.

And thank you for the votes. It surprises me.