3rd page

The Last Baby Breathe

 


                “How’s your day at school? Still annoying?” Myungsoo asked.

                “No. Today is interesting,” Su Ji said, eyes still on her textbook, smile formed sweetly on her lips.

                “Why?” Myungsoo looked at the smiling girl and moved closer to see what she was reading, thinking he could find the reason for the smile on her textbook.

                “The girls were having this one particular talk today,” Su Ji said and Myungsoo could see her smile grew wider.

                “What kind of talk?”

 

                Su Ji’s heartbeat beat a little bit faster when a name for their talks crossed her mind. Turning her face a little, she found Myungsoo was right beside her in the close distance he used to be in. But today, she found it a little bit too close.

                “It’s a secret,” Su Ji said. She lifted her body nervously, hitting Myungsoo’s shoulder with her back in the process.

                “What is it?” Myungsoo demanded curiously. Su Ji leaned her body against the big tree behind her, recalling her conversation in school. But then she frowned.

                “Thinking about it, you must have that kind of talk when you are still in high school,” Su Ji looked at him with judging eyes and the clueless Myungsoo could only breathe in fret, trying to recall all the bad conversation he used to have in high school two years ago, and hoped none of them was bad enough to make Su Ji angry.

 

                “Back then.. I was only.. audience..,” Myungsoo said nervously, thinking Su Ji was referring to the boy’s talk. He remembered, several times back then, the boys would talk about a particular dirty stuff and as a man, of course it was normal for him to listen.

                “So you also have a love talk when you are in high school,” Su Ji mumbled with frown. Myungsoo, hearing the word love talk, looked at Su Ji in wonder and of course, relieved.

                “Love talk? So you were talking about love talk?” Myungsoo questioned.

                Su Ji looked back at Myungsoo in surprise, realizing that she spilled it.

                “Ah! Forget about it,” the embarrassed girl said while covering her reddening cheeks.

 

                “Are you probably.., in love with one of the boy in your school?” Myungsoo cautiously asked.

 

                “Of course not!” Su Ji said not letting a second passed between her answer and Myungsoo’s question. She jolted when she found Myungsoo was centimeters away from her face when she removed her hands from covering her face.”Don’t be to close, Myungsoo!” she demanded in whining tone.

                “Then tell me why you are so flustered,” Myungsoo demanded in the tone which sounded more like a demand. Su Ji pressed her lips together and shook her head, answering him in silence. Myungsoo, wanting to get the answer as well to , moved his face closer to Su Ji’s.

                “I told you not to be so close,” Su Ji cried, bringing her hands to cover her face once again for the tree was behind her and she didn’t have the way to run away from the persistent guy.

                “Then, tell me. And you’d better be quick because I’m coming really, really, close,”

                “Okay! Stop, okay!” Su Ji gave in, pushing Myungsoo’s face away with her hands and against those hands, Myungsoo formed a winning smile.

                “Are you sure you want to hear about what girls are talking about?” Su Ji asked Myungsoo with mocking face.

                “Yes. Now, tell me,” Myungsoo insisted. Of course it wasn’t what the girls were talking about that mattered for Myungsoo, it was who it was that Su Ji talked about.

 

                “What a girl,” Su Ji sighed.

                “So, first, they were asking about who we crush on,” Su Ji began and Myungsoo almost interrupted, but held it down. “Then they began to mention names, some of them were in our school, some of them weren’t,” there, Myungsoo once again planned to interrupt, but let it off for the moment.

                “Then we were talking about each other experience in love, like have we been in relationship before, or how many times if we have, and how it was, how far..,” girls sure talked about everything, Myungsoo thought. And he must have thought that those questions were too much if it was not about Su Ji.

                 Su Ji stopped there, even without interruption from Myungsoo. Myungsoo waited for her, thinking that she was recalling the talks, but then she didn’t continue.

                “What else?” Myungsoo looked at her and suddenly surprised when he realized how red Su Ji’s face had become.

 

                She was beautiful, Myungsoo suddenly said inwardly.

                She had always been beautiful, but today, she was beautiful with red.

                If only her blood could stay there instead of breaking through from her nostril.

 

               “It’s embarrassing,” Su Ji cried as she covered her face once again with her hands, snapping Myungsoo from praying. “Most of them had been in relationship before. They told me they at least had hold hands, hugging and.. ki.. kissing,” she muttered against her hands.

 

               “Then tell me, what was your answer Su Ji?”

 

               “Hm?”  Su Ji brought down her hands, looking at the smiling Myungsoo beside her. He was looking at the millions baby breath bathing sunlight under the evening sky in front of them.

 

               “Do you know how it feels to fall in love?” Myungsoo asked in behalf of her friends without looking at her.

               “Yes,” Su Ji said, looking at Myungsoo, wondering why she even had the guts to answer.

               “Have you ever been in love?”

               “Yes,”

 

               “Is he the boy from your class?”

               “No.”

               “Is he the boy from your school?”

               “No.”

               “Have you hold hands with him?”

               “I have.”

               “Have the two of you hugged?”

               “We have.”

               “Then how about kissing?”

               “We haven’t.”

 

                Myungsoo stopped his chain questions and turned his face to find Su Ji eyes which were reflected his own reflection. Myungsoo was glad to find that the blood was still waltzing under her cheeks and she looked lively than Myungsoo had ever seen her.

                “Let’s kiss then, Su Ji”

 

 

 

                “What’s with the sudden request?!” Su Ji shouted in high voice as she jolted aside.

                “Why? I just want to kiss you,” said the calm boy with straight face, as he was sneering the girl’s fright.

                “So suddenly?” shot the girl.

                “No. I’ve always wanted to kiss you,”

 

                Su Ji stood up without saying anything. But before she could step a step, a hand was bringing her down back to the warm ground beside the hand’s owner. It circled around her waist and built a steady barrier between her and her way out. Instead of getting further, she was brought closer, closer than she wanted them to be in the moment, to the reason for her racing heartbeat.

                “No!” Su Ji shouted. “Myungsoo, you are to close.” She covered her crimson face with her cold hands, the only thing she could do at that moment.

                “Is this why you told me to stay away a while ago?” Myungsoo eyed Su Ji closely, teasing her. “Because you were thinking about us kissing?”

                Su Ji pulled down her hands and stopped on her burning cheeks, finding Myungsoo eyes that were eyeing on her so close she could find her own embarrassed reflection. Myungsoo smirked, waiting for the girl to mock his confident thought, but she didn’t. “Myungsoo is so stupid!” Su Ji cried like a sulking toddler, beckoning that he was right, giving a face palm to Myungsoo who was saying it as a joke.

 

                “Let’s kiss then,” Myungsoo demanded,

                “No!”

                “Come on, let’s kiss!” He whined

                “No!”

                "You are such a girl," Myungsoo sneered.

                "Well, are you asking for a kiss from a boy?" Su Ji shot back to him. Myungsoo frowned and gave Su Ji a sulking gaze.

                “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” He whined even more, almost like he was sulking.

               

                “I don’t want to.”

                “Why?”

                “Because it will feel good.”

                 There was a pause, and for a second Myungsoo straighten his face, but then turned back to be doting, “That just give us more reason to kiss,”

                “But I don’t want to.”

                “Why?”

                “Because I will miss it. Someday, just like what you said before, all of this will turn into memories. And I don’t want to add more things to the list of what I am going to miss when you are not around. Because you said that memories will have even a bigger impact than the event itself, and I don’t think I can bear those emotions then without you on my side”

                Myungsoo taken aback by the big impact of the small girl’s word, loosen his hands around her waist. He thought that he could win against the fragile girl by teasing her all the time, but in fact, he was the one who had always been defeated by the girl’s feeling.

                “Myungsoo is really stupid!” Su Ji cried to his face. Tears were falling as she stood up from his side, leaving his arm empty. She walked to the other side of the tree and leaned against the big solid tree and sat above the soft grass. She cried softly then, almost like a baby’s cries.

                Myungsoo at the other side of the tree sat with the same position, like he her own reflection there. He closed his eyes and listen to the girl’s baby’s cries and the million flower surrounding them sounded like they were breathing. All the painful sounds mixed and funnily produced what he heard as loving and gentle.

                It put him to ease.

                It put him back to love.

 

                “Su Ji,” he whispered.

                “W.. what,” the girl on the other side sobbed.

 

                “Then let’s not grow apart. Let’s be in each other reach.

                 No, I mean, I will always be in your reach. I will always be here. You don’t need to miss me. You won’t get a time to miss me. You can see me anytime, hear me anytime, and touch me anytime. Whenever you want it, you don’t need to miss it, just hold my hands, hug me and kiss me,”

                 Myungsoo stood up and walked to her side. He sat in front of the crying girl and wiped her tears gently with his hands then cupped her face to meet him and Myungsoo smiled to Su Ji as he said,

                “Because Su Ji, you own me and we are infinite.”

 

                Myungsoo kissed Su Ji that day, gently deep on her lips, and she let him. After letting her catching her breath, he kissed her once again, and slightly, he could feel her trembling lips were kissing him back for a moment.

                It was beautiful.

                But in the end, Myungsoo was wrong, and Su Ji was right.