4th page

The Last Baby Breathe

 


                It was when the sky looked the saddest and people would see it as blue even though the sun was almost set. It reminded a self-called artist named Myungsoo about one girl that resembled the moon named Su Ji, however Myungsoo still called her as a sun. But like how it was that day, Myungsoo’s sun looked like it could set at anytime.

                Myungsoo had hated evening since two years ago. He hated to see the sun set.  He hated the orange color of sky which reminded him of old deserted papers. He hated to hear the mourning voice of the birds and more than anything; he hated how the evening would end his meeting with Su Ji.

                It was just particular evening which Myungsoo had always hated when Myungsoo found Su Ji was hidden between the hundreds baby breaths, the blooming baby breath covered Su Ji from sight, but some of them had withered away around her.

 

                It was when the sky looked poignant and Myungsoo could only hate it when he found Su Ji was yanking out the baby breath away.

 

                The baby breaths were yanked out from the soil and Su Ji didn’t even leave its root as she dug the soil with her own bare hands. Her trembling and wounded hands showed that she had been doing it for long. More than hundreds baby breaths were scattered and those baby breaths were now suffocating. The sky was mourning for them and the bird was singing the misery. But it was the girl who cried for them as she inwardly begging for forgiveness for subtracting beauty from the world.

                Myungsoo screamed for her name, saying ‘Su Ji’, ‘Su Ji’, trying to snap her back and slightly hoping he got the wrong person and took it as an excuse of why she didn’t answer him back. Myungsoo held the girl’s shoulder to at least stop her from what she was doing, but in the end only making her struggle even more and hit him ignorantly without even saying anything.

                Myungsoo finally gave in, letting go his grip from her shoulders and the girl continued to dig any soil around her with her bare hands. It was after some moments, the suffocated girl stop digging her hands to the soil for her hands could no longer moved. It was trembling and the wound was too much for her fragile hands could handle.

                She screamed a frustrated scream, letting Myungsoo to hear her voice for the first time at that particular evening. Knowing her hands would not be able to yank out anything anymore, Su Ji used her feet to dig the soil under the soon to die baby breaths. Moving her feet, Myungsoo could see how her knees were bleeding from scratching with the rough soil. Her lacy white dress was tainted by grime. She was in a mess.

                “Stop it,” Myungsoo chocked out.

                “I said, stop it, Su Ji,” Myungsoo firmed his voice only to get a silent from the girl which kept digging the soil with her legs.

                “Bae Su Ji! I told you to stop it!” Myungsoo raised his voice and shot it to Su Ji, and as in return Su Ji really stopped for a moment to glare at Myungsoo with her swollen eyes which still crying. Su Ji shoved Myungsoo roughly and threw the withered baby breaths to him then get back to what she was doing.

                Myungsoo lifted his body after being shoved, not thinking about using more words, he grabbed her legs and stopped it from moving. Before Su Ji could even struggle, he casted aside her legs from the baby breaths and lay it on the withered baby breaths. And before she could even protest, Myungsoo began to yank out those baby breaths with his own bare hands.

                “I’m not asking you to stop yanking out these damn flowers,” Myungsoo said as he roughly dug his hands to the soil. “I’m asking you to stop hurting yourself!

                If you don’t want to tell me the reason, then don’t! I’m not going to ask! I’m not going to judge! But don’t do it if it only makes you cry, because I know how much you love these damn flowers! Just let me! I’ll be the one who bear the pain and crime. And don’t you dare tainted your hands anymore than this!”

                More baby breaths were yanked out and soon to die. After Myungsoo’s angry shout, the only audible voice was Su Ji’s cries and her chocked breath.

                It pained him.

                And it included everything.

                To yank out these flowers he had been living with and shared together, to hear the cry he always hope to perish, to know that the girl he loved was in pain.

                It pained his hands, his ears, his eyes, but more than anything, it pained his heart.

                Yanking out those baby breaths away was like yanking out his own heart over and over again. He suffocated together with those baby breaths and he was afraid that maybe he could withered at anytime.

                As Myungsoo was yanking out everything in sight while inwardly wonder how many flowers he needed to kill until he could put her in ease, a pair of weary hands lay on his.

                “What now?!” Myungsoo shot to the crying girl. Su Ji lifted her face to face Myungsoo and it just pained him even more. As Su Ji was sobbing, she told Myungsoo,

                “Forget me.. Please, forget about me.”

                “What?”

                “You told me that you’ll forget me when the last baby breaths die. Can’t you.. Can’t you just forget me, now?”

 

                Myungsoo looked at Su Ji in disbelieve, not knowing whether to be angry or he was just simply.. brokenhearted. “So this is what it’s all about?”

                “You cry, shout, you ruined your dress, wounded your hands, yanked out these flowers you love, everything.. because of me?”

                “Is this how you detest me?” Myungsoo fired at her.

 

                “You don’t get it, Myungsoo!” Su Ji shouted back at him, her voice crooked.

                “Of course I don’t get it! We were just fine yesterday and suddenly today I found you like this, torturing yourself! We still kissed yesterday and today you detest me.

                How could you expect me to understand, Su Ji?” Myungsoo found his voice crooked at the last sentence, just like her.

                “Then forget about everything. Forget about how we used to be fine. Forget about the baby breaths. Forget about the kisses. Forget about.. me,” Su Ji cried as she bent her head down, avoiding Myungsoo in any contact possible, afraid he may shaken her decision.

                Myungsoo saw how Su Ji avoided his stare, he cupped her face with his hands and a second after that, he regret what he was doing for his dirty hands stained her white damp cheeks. “What’s with all of this nonsense?” Myungsoo decided to continue.

 

                “Are you running out of your right mind? Are you out of mind?” Myungsoo chocked out. Su Ji replied his gazed, and gazed at him. She found herself in the apple of his eyes and she hated to find herself there one more time. As much as she hated to admit it, between her sobs, she whisper to Myungsoo,

 

                “I’m running out of time, Myungsoo. I’m out of time.”


 

Myungzy_Guardian : Thank you. Please, feel free to share more about your thought.

 

Do leave a comment or even a review. Thank you for readers and subscribers.