Chapter 3

I Hate Infinite!

 

". . . did you hear. . . ?"

". . . that girl. . ."

". . . she told the office. . ."

". . . L's suspended. . ."

". . . evil girl. . ."

". . . serves the player right. . ."

". . . probably the reason. . ."

". . . L oppa had a mark. . ."

". . . a red bruise on his cheek. . ."

". . . do you think. . . ?"

". . . she's brave. . ."

". . . she won't last a day. . ."

". . . friends with Sunggyu. . .?"

". . . wonder what L's friends are going to do. . ."

". . . look. . ."

". . . here she comes. . ."

 

 

 

All day, this constant murmur went around the school. People were repeatedly pointing and looking at me.

Some smiled or frowned; some raised fists in congrats or anger; it was unbelievable. One guy even started whooping and cheering when I passed.

I saw some of L's posse, walking down the hallway, but when they saw me, they immediately stepped to the side to let me pass. That action let out some gasps and explosive whispers from the crowd surrounding us.

I finally got outside of the school and let out the breath I was apparently holding.

Suddenly, I was barraged by my friends who were flushed, probably from running.

"I can't believe you did that!"

"So you're Sunggyu's friend? That's so cool!"

"That 'L' jerk deserved it. . ."

"You used your ju-tae-kar. . . whatever martial art junk on him, right?"

Gyuri slapped my back. "I, for one, am proud of you! It's the end of the day! Let's go to the cafe!"

I glanced at Hara. "As long as you don't leave with the Minhyuk kid, I'm fine."

She blushed. "He's not the 'Minhyuk-kid.' He's just Minhyuk."

I smiled. "To the cafe!"

 

 

 

My friends and I walked into the coffee shop, and I was surprised to find one of L's friends working there. His nametag read "HOYA."

Hoya looked over and saw me, then cowered as far as he could without leaving the counter.

I shyly followed my friends to the register. I kept staring at Hoya, interested in seeing him in a bright coffee-shop uniform.

"~~~?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Huh?"

"Are you ordering anything?" Nicole asked.

"What? Oh, yeah. One green tea please," I said.

Hoya slowly nodded, and we paid. Then we sat down at a circular window table, and Jiyoung offered to go back and get drinks.

Once the coffee came, we chatted and laughed the afternoon away, and we even had dinner there. The entire time, Hoya was working. He must be working a long shift, I thought.

About 20 minutes after we finished eating, another one of L's friends came in and talked to Hoya.

"Look! It's Dongwoo!" Nicole said. "He's in my 2nd period, science."

But soon our coversation left Dongwoo & Hoya, and I forgot the worries I had about school, L, and his friends.

In fact, when we left at around 10pm, I forgot that Hoya was working here. Also, Dongwoo was staying with him. I looked around, and I realized that we were the only customers left.

We thanked Hoya for his time, and we left.

Halfway down the street, I checked my pockets.

"Oh! Girls, I left my phone back at the shop. Why don't you go home first, and I'll see you tomorrow?"

We agreed, and we went our separate ways.

I ran down to the coffee shop and noticed that the blinds were down but the lights were still on.

I knocked, and the door opened. I tentatively stuck my head in. "Hello?"

And the sight shocked me.

 

Hoya. . .

 

And Dongwoo. . .

 

Bent over a table. . .

 

In a heavy make-out session. . .

 

Umm. . .

 

Awkward. . .