Descerated

He Who Has Grey Eyes

Descerated


"Alright, my darlings, remember to colour the pictures and decorate the cards for Mother's day. You want you mother to be proud of you, don't you?"she reminded the children with a motherly tone.

 

"Yes Ms Im. We will," the children's voices echoed cheerfully,excited to go home. Some already left scurrying up to their parents. Others were still packing.

 

"Noona, I can call you noona right? Ms Im? You're older than me," a little boy asked.

 

"Of course you can Ilseok. Now where's your Papa?" she asked him gently.

 

"Oh right. Noona, Papa can't fetch me today so he sent his friend to get me today. I have to let you know or you'll think I'm being kidnapped," Ilseok giggled childishly.

 

"Alrighty then. Let me pack my stuff and we'll wait together. How does that sound?"she ruffled the boy's hair. The boy was sinfully cute. He looked like a mini version of his father, Kim Minseok, Hyunbi's high school senior. It was fun teaching his son.

 

The wait was rather short. A man came huffing and puffing at the doorway. He looked exhausted. "Sorry I'm late. Come here Ilseok," the man said breathlessly. "Lets go get some ice cream," he announced.

 

"Uncle Joonie, meet my teacher, Ms Im Hyunbi. I prefer calling her Hyunbi noona," Ilseok introduced and for the first time, the man looked up to acknowledge her.

 

"Uh, hi Hyunbi-ssi. We'll get going now. Goodbye. Ilseok say goodbye to your teacher," the man instructed in a gentle, fatherly voice.

 

"Ah, Uncle Joonie, is awkward with people. He's shy. Anyway, noona, come along with us to the ice cream store," the boy offered with a wide smile, dimples showing clearly.

 

"It's okay my dear. Noona has lots of work to finish. How about another day? Maybe I'll bring you out with Hyewon noona," she bent down to pat the boy's hair gently and peck his cheek.

 

The boy pouted. "Well," the boy said in reluctance, "If you say so. Goodbye then, noona." The boy bowed and left hand in hand with the man.

 

"Hmm... I think I saw him from somewhere. Let me see," she tapped her chin thoughtfully. Frustration flitted across her features for a moment. "I swear, I met him somewhere before. Sheesh," she huffed before turning her attention to Ilseok and the man. Hyunbi laughed lightheartedly. The scene before her eyes was too adorable. The two were squabbling as they walked home, further and further away till their figures were merely specks of dust. Hyunbi wanted a family just like that. Being twenty-four and still single, Hyunbi desired the perfect ideal family. She wanted kids, most probably twins but she have yet to meet her perfect match. As much as she wanted to be a mom or wife, she was lonely.

 

The night shift at the Comic Haven was tiring her out. She had been busy restocking some of the new arrivals. She had sorted row upon row of comics. Sorting out things had been her forte. However, the restocking had drained her energy. It was a good thing she was alone though. She found comfort in being alone. Since the bookstore was empty -who wants to be at a comic store late at night, anyway?- Hyunbi went to the pantry to make herself a cup of cappuccino. Well, coffee made her feel more energetic. Caffeine had been her best friend for a very long time -well apart from Hyewon. Proud of her accomplishment (of making cappuccino from scratch) she walked towards the storeroom to grab the final box of comics for her to unpack. The bells chimed, indicating that someone had just entered the comic store. Hyunbi made her way quickly to the counter to assist the customer.

"Welcome to Comic Haven," Hyunbi said in a cheerful voice.

 

There was no one around. Strange, she thought. She continued unpacking the box, trying push her thoughts away. It's just your imagination, Im Hyunbi, she reminded herself again. Then she heard fluttering of pages at the back of the bookshelves. If someone really was there, he would be hidden from her view.

 

"Is anyone there?" she called out again, stepping away from the counter to survey the store. The atmosphere of the comic store became really eerie and somehow, the temperature was a lot colder. "Hello?" she said in a louder voice.

 

She was nearing the first bookshelf, where she heard the peculiar sounds. There was no one there. Footsteps from the next few rows of bookshelves. Hyunbi was freaking out. Her situation was exactly like Yoo Jinah's in Do Kyungsoo's thriller, The Unexpected Guest. Too much thriller books, ugh, she thought aloud.

 

After telling herself countless times that the store was empty -she was alone- she continued unpacking. It was almost midnight when Hyunbi had to close the shop. The sound of shutters sounded throughout the street. Apart from the convenient store across the street, the area was quiet and barren. Everyone was fast asleep. She locked the shutters and turned to find herself facing a dark figure leaning against the lamp post. She knew that man was staring right ar her. Subtle much. The strange thing Hyunbi realised about the man was that his eyes were shimmering under the dimly lit area. He looked strikingly familiar. Then it hit her. He was the same man who fetched little Ilseok.

 

"Hey, were you the one who fetched Ilseok? The one Ilseok called as Joonie?" she asked in a sure voice. "I think we've met briefly before," she mumbled, realising that the man was slowly inching towards her.

 

The man remained silent as he came closer to her. "I've been waiting for you," he whispered in her ear.

 

The stalker.

 

The only thought in her mind. "What do you want from me?"she questioned him in a brave voice although she was afraid. "You know what I want," the stalker smirked.

 

"I don't know what you're saying," she blurted. The man's gripped on her arms tightened as he dragged her away. "Let me go, you bastard. Let me go or I'll shout!" she threatened him, at the same time struggling to free herself.

 

Hyunbi felt a sharp pain in her back and slowly everything became hazy. Her sight was blurry and her struggles became weaker. She forced herself to stay awake but failed miserably. I don't want to die, Hyunbi cried softly. It was too late. All too late as she felt herself slip into unconsciousness. Total darkness.

 

Save me, a soft whisper. A plea for help. It was left unheard. No one came.

 

'A woman in her mid-twenties was found in the dark alleys of Seoul. She was left to die by her attacker. She almost bled to death due to the various stab wounds on her body. She is currently in a critical condition. The police spokesman, Chief Officer Kim Jongin said that it was done by the very same person that killed the other ladies. He has only one advice at the moment.'

 

The camera was fixated on a young and determined looking officer.

 

'I want let everyone know that this is a very serious case. We are currently working on it. My advice to all the women out there, be alert and don't follow strangers around. And don't stay out too late.'

 

The camera shifted its focus to the crime scene. The area was cordoned off from the public. The camera zoomed in to the forensic investigators as they collected all the clues for the investigation.

 

'Police are still investigating the murders of Oh Miyeon, Kim Jinah, Song Haemi, Jung Do Kyung and Park Dahae. Police says Im Hyunbi is lucky she survived this possible murder attempt. It was an innocent passerby who heard soft cries of pain from the alley and immediately called for the police.'

 

The television was switched off with a control. The reflection in the television showed a man sitting on his sofa with a sick twist of his lips as he drank a glass of red wine, shiny grey eyes twinkling in the dim setting. He traced his glass of wine with his index finger and smirked.

 

"Ahh, I shouldn't have left her alive, should I?" he asked no one in particular. His voice was a monotone. He let out a silent chuckle.

 

He got off the sofa, with the wine glass still in his grasp and entered his study. He was planning the next murder. With a sickening smile on his face, he lightly tapped his finger on a picture of his next victim. Choi Aerin. He took a dart and skillfully threw it right on the bullseye. Taped to the dart board was a picture of a tall brunette in police uniform with his arms around a beautiful young lady. Both were smiling widely into the camera. They looked happy, so alive. However one was already dead.

 

Park Chanyeol, catch me, if you can, his voice was barely audible. And lunatic laugh followed soon after, ringing throughout the whole apartment.