Big Announcements MPOV

Lies

 

“Okay everybody take 5” David called.

As if those words were magic all the dancers in the room collapsed on to the wooden floor. After a couple of minutes of lying there some got up and crowded around the water cooler as if sitting was not enough to stop their panting breaths. I decided to sit in one of the corners of the dance studio and catch my breath while I still had time.

“You thirsty?” I heard someone ask.

“Yeah, thanks” I said grabbing the ice cold water bottle that they held out. I looked up to see who handed me the water and found my bestfriend Tyler.

“Hey Ty” I said with a smile. I patted the empty space next to me and  he sat down.

“I wonder why David’s working us so hard lately?” he asked.

“You know he always says he wants us to be the best and that takes hard work, but he’s probably just preparing us for some kind of surprise” I said taking a huge gulp of water. The ice cold water went down my throat refreshing every dry spot.

I too wondered why David had been working us so hard lately, this was the the third week straight that we’ve been practicing nonstop. Why we were practicing so hard was something I didn’t know yet but I was sure the other dancers and I would soon find out. Like I told Tyler it was probably just some surprise, David’s always surprising us with something. I just wish he would hurry up and tell us what it was. All this nonstop practicing was exhausting and it was throwing my normal sleep patteren off...not that I was getting any good sleep anyways but at least I could rest and not feel like hell the next day.   And as if he could the thoughts running through my head on my face Tyler said almost my exact thoughts then he just stared at me.

“Is there something you wanted to ask me?”

“Um…”

“Okay your 5 minutes are over, let’s get back to work “David called interrupting Tyler’s words.

“Um it’s nothing…well…never mind I’ll just talk to you after practice” he said going back to his position.

I wonder what he wanted to talk about, he looked kind of unsure of what he wanted to ask me. Hopefully it was nothing because I was too tired to deal with anything serious at the moment. I guess I would just have to wait till practice is over. I sighed glancing over at the clock as I got back in my postsition. "Only an hour left" I mumbled to myself.

 

 

“Great job everyone” David called clapping his hands. Everyone clapped with David then left their positions to crowd around the water cooler yet again.

”Before anyone leaves I have an announcement to make” he said catching everyone’s attention from the water cooler. “The reason I’ve been working you guys so hard is because there’s going to be an audition for a group that needs five new dancers."

There were mummers as some of the other dancers looked at each other with excitment. David cleared his throat so that everyone would quiet down and then he continued.

"I will be picking out ten dancers that I think are ready and have the skills for this audition tomorrow so please be on your A game. The dancers I pick tomorrow will find out more about their auditions, thanks everybody and great job, practice is dismissed.” he finised.

The dance room buzzed with excitement and questions. As I made my way to the changing room everyone I passed by was talking about the auditions. "I wonder who the group is!?" "Do you think David would pick me!?" "Wow this is so huge!" 

Finally I got to the changing room, everyone’s excitement still ringing in my ears. I was taking my change of clothes out when one of the younger dancers Hea stopped me.

“Amaya, Amaya! I gotta tell you something!” she shouted running up to me.

“Yes, what seems to be the hurry little one?” I smiled patting her head. Hea was one of the talentest most cutest little ten year old there was in this dance school.

“I’m just so excited about the announcement David made” she said out of breath.

“Isn’t everyone, but what was it you had to tell me?”

“Oh yeah..um, Tyler asked for you to meet him at the Café as soon as you’re changed” she said nodding.

“Kay thanks” I said giving her a smile as she ran off.

I tried to get dressed as fast as I could but my body was just too worn out to move any faster. I hope Tyler didn’t mind me being a little late because it was almost impossible to get out of the school. Everyone was just so excited about the auditions that they forgot how tired they were and didn’t want to go home. After giving my goodbyes and pushing pass a few of the dancers I finally made my way out of the dance studio.

I walked slowly to the Café taking in my surroundings; it seemed crazy but I had this raw feeling that Tyler wanted to discuss something from the other night. That's probably what he wanted to talk about in the studio.  I just wished he would let the other night go.

If there was one thing that got me to tell the actual truth it was alcohol. And since I wasn't a big drinker one glass could put me in a really bad situation.

I let out sigh just thinking of that night. I couldn't remember a lot but I did remember almost spilling out everything on who I really was and I bet Tyler was worried that I might be in some sort of danger. If only I could remember how much I almost spilled out...

I finally made it to the Café and at our usual table sat a worried looking Tyler. So I guess my raw feeling was right. I walked over as slow as I could taking a deep breath before I sat down.

“Sorry for being late the studio…”

“Its fine I know the dance studio was packed“he said hurriedly cutting me off.

“So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?” I asked trying to grin, but I don’t think it came across as that.

He looked around for a minute before he spoke. “Are you okay…I mean are you safe?” he asked, pure concern in his eyes.

“Yeah I’m fine and the safest girl you know, why?” I said trying once more to smile.

“The other night when you got a little drunk you started to say things”

“Say things like what?” I tried hard to remember exactly what I said but to be honest most of that night is very vivid to me.

“You were saying things like you were someone else” he said shifting in his seat.

“Look I guess I was kind of drunk so I need you tell me what exactly it was that I said”

“Well you were talking about how you ran away from home and that your mother is looking for you, you started saying how you wish you could see her again and tell her you’re sorry. But you couldn’t go back and that’s when you started crying”

Crying wow I don’t even remember that and had I said all of these things without even knowing.

“Then you started asking yourself why you did all those bad things” he continued.”I tried to calm you down but when I called your name you said that you didn’t know who Amaya was, you said that wasn’t your name. I asked you what was your name and you said…” Tyler was hesitating like he didn’t want to say what happened next. The worried and concerned expressions were long gone off of his face instead a look of horror came over him.

Oh god what did I say.

“You said your real name was Choi MingLee” he finally said. "And you kept insiting that, that was who you were."

My whole head began to spin, I couldn’t believe I said that! How was I going to explain this to him? I tried hard to think of a reason for my craziness of the other night and only one thing came to mind. I started to laugh and Tyler was surprised.

“I was just playing around!” I said still laughing.

“But you sounded so serious” he said.

“I know it’s a habit of mine when I get a little drunk I tend to quote things from this play I seen” I said hoping he would believe me. "Ah I can't remember the name though but it was my favorite when I was little" I nodded knowing that he would ask what the title of the play was.

“So you’re okay and not in any danger?” he asked unsure.

“Yea I’m great, don't worry, just qouting my favorite play” I said smiling as he nodded. Who knew convincing Tyler away from the truth would be so easy.

“Anyway did you hear about the auditions? I told you David had something up his sleeve” I said quickly changing the subject.

“Yeah I heard, I wonder who the group is” he said starting to relax again.

“I don’t know but I probably won’t get picked” I admitted.

“Are you serious!? Of course you’ll get picked, you’re one of the best dancers in the class! No way David wouldn’t pick you” he exclaimed.

It’s true I was a really good dancer but I felt that I’ve been slacking lately. I hadn’t been fully committed and into the things we’ve been learning.

I guess it’s because I was tired, and the nonstop practicing has been messing with my sleep. But I was only kidding myself when saying this... I haven’t gotten a good rest since I came to the U.S.

“Well I don’t know, I guess we’ll have to see tomorrow” I said.

Tyler and I stayed a while longer and eventually got some coffee. We talked a little and it seemed that he was starting to forget all about the other night. Finally we left and I took the long way back to my apartment dreaming of my real home. I really did miss it a lot but leaving there was for the best.

 

A/N: sorry you'll learn more in the next chapter about the main charater it just didn't seem to fit in this chapter:)