Chapter 3

Dark Maknae

Numerous things were processed in the few moments after my big realization, but there were three that took the cake with regards to priority.

1) Young Jae, the one person who I knew the least about and who had been trained in mixed martial arts for 13 years, was missing.

2) He was standing behind me, and based upon the small sound of steel upon leather, he had just unsheathed a knife.

3) I was about to get stabbed.

Barely having enough time to pull up my mask, a quickly whirled around in time to grab the hand that ed forward, the small yet deadly blade glinting as I brought my eyes up to meet its owner's. Dark hazel orbs narrowed when they met mine, and we sprung away from each other after another moment of glaring.

"You mind telling me who you are and what you're doing here?" Youngjae questioned me with a soft, yet dangerous voice, while keeping his knife raised.

"I was about to ask you the same question," I hissed, internally pleased at how shaky my voice sounded, "who are you?"

I had to play it dumb and pretend to know nothing about them. If I let something slip, it was all over.

Rather than answering, Young Jae deftly kicked my leg and I lost my balance, reaching out to knock his knife away but giving him a chance to flip me on my back. Swiftly rushing to get the knife, he turned back to see me standing again before slashing down towards me. Dodging out of the way, I aimed a powerful left hook towards his face, connecting with a satisfying sound. The satisfaction was short-lived as he ducked under my arms and rammed his shoulder into me, knocking the wind out of my lungs while shoving me against the wall. Grunting, I used my height to my advantage and grabbed a pipe above my head, lifting my body up slightly before swinging back, kneeing him away and landing a kick in to gut. As he doubled over, I grabbed a small rusty piece of metal laying beside him. Just as I brought it up to his throat, Young Jae held his knife against mine, and we both stood frozen for a few moments, the sound of heavy panting filling the air.

Locking eyes, we both dropped our weapons from the others neck and took a step away, with small smiles breaking out on each of our faces.

"Not bad, kid. Not bad at all," Young Jae laughed and slid the knife back into his belt, "I'm Young Jae. Who are you?"

Brushing the dust off of my jacket, I hesitated slightly before answering, "I'm Zelo."

"Zelo, huh? That's a weird name," Young Jae chuckled as he gingerly patted the swelling bruise on his cheek, wincing a bit before looking back to me with a sober expression, "but seriously, you don't want to be around here right now. Go home, and make sure no one sees you when you leave."

This is my chance to gain his trust. I thought quickly as he turned to leave. Trying my best to sound like a desperate kid, I blurted out, "I don't have a home anymore."

Young Jae paused, turned back to me, and asked, "So why are you here, then?"

Crap, I hope I still have my acting skills from that mission in Siberia.

"I-I'm, uh, here to get something for my sister," I stuttered, trying to sound nervous and succeeding, "she has an addiction."

Young Jae nodded as if he understood, and Idid a small cheer of victory inside my head.

"Come with me," he told me, and I followed him towards the other members of BAP. I realized that our fight had actually torn up the room we where in quite a lot. A lot of pipes were broken and the scaffolding looked like it was about to collapse.

Before exiting the warehouse and walking into the full view of the other members, I hesitated. Young Jae looked back at me and smiled in encouragement. Young Jae must be the nice one in BAP. Himchan noticed Young Jae first.

"Yo, Young Jae, where were you?" Himchan called out.

"Yeah, Jae, we were just about to start setting up the safety measures!" Daehyun said excitedly and held up something that looked like a pipe sealed at both ends with a string sticking out of it. "I know you love setting them up with me-"

Daehyun broke off when he saw me. His child-like aura disappeared and a menacing look washed over his face.

Before anyone could stop him, Daehyun whipped out his lighter, lite the fuse, and threw it at me. I saw it coming, but it was as if it was flying at me in slow motion. I walked toward it, plucked it out of the air, and chucked it as hard and far as I could into the field surrounding the warehouse. Right before it hit the ground, it exploded in a fiery BOOM, shaking the warehouse and showering me in dirt. When I looked back towards the others, I saw Himchan preparing to lunge at me with his katanas. I managed not to get sliced to ribbons as he expertly slashed at me. He swung it towards my neck, forcing me to grab it without cutting my fingers off (which isn't exactly easy) and I silently cursed when I realized that he lured me into a trap. While my hands were holding one katana, the other was whipping towards my torso. Flinging the other blade away from me, I leapt back, narrowly avoiding the lightning-quick sword only to feel my back hit a wall.

.

The mission hasn't even really started and I'm already dead.

Just as I watched Himchan's lips curl into a smug smirk while he arced his blades towards me, two loud shots rang out and the katanas swinging in my direction were knocked forcefully away. I looked in the direction of where the shots came from and my eyes widened. Yongguk wasn't even looking at us, yet his gun was slightly smoking and was pointed in our direction.

"What the hell was that for, Yongguk?!" Himchan snapped and pulled away from me, slicing my jacket sleeve and my already injured arm. "You could've killed me!"

Yongguk looked lazily towards him. "How old does that kid look to you, Himchan?"

Looking confused, Himchan glanced over to me with an upturned nose.

"Oh I don't know," He said with a huff, "maybe nineteen or twenty?"

Yongguk laughed at his answer and asked me how old I was.

"I just turned sixteen," I said quietly, putting my hands in my pockets and scuffing the floor with my foot. I was aiming for the I'm just a kid please don't kill me look, and it seemed like it was working. Himchan's jaw dropped and even Yongguk looked a little surprised. Young Jae walked up beside me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Ya, before you all went crazy and tried to kill him," He said, sounding irritated while gently patting my arm, not seeing me wince as he pat my injury, "I was trying to tell you that this kid is just here to pick up some stuff for his sister. Right, Zelo?"

I mumbled in agreement and the harsh faces surrounding me all softened. It was as if a damn switch had been flipped.

"So, Zelo, you're also here to meet up with SHINee?" Yongguk questioned me and I nodded shyly in agreement. "Don't you have any weapons with you?" I shook my head.

"I just use whatever's close enough to grab." I answered honestly. "Actually, I usually don't use a weapon when I fight."

"Why are you wearing a mask?" Jong Up asked me. It was the first time I had heard him speak, and his voice was soft and childlike. "It seems like you're trying to hide from us."

At this, the other members looked at me curiously, or more specifically, my mask. I tried to stutter out a response. "Well I, uh, just try not to show people, you know, just in case."

"Aw, now you've GOTTA take it off!" Daehyun sqealed like a little kid and bounded toward me. "Lemme see! Lemme see!" I swatted his hands away from my face and he pouted at me.

"C'mon please-" Daehyun began to beg as a huge black truck screeched to a stop in front of the warehouse, effectively cutting him off. I moved away into the shadows and watched as the truck's ignition turned off. After a minute that seemed like an eternity, eight men stepped out of the truck and stood in two lines; five men in front, and three in the back. One man in the front line stepped forward, and I assumed it was SHINee's leader, Jonghyun.

"Ahh, Yongguk," He said with a grin, opening his arms wide. "It's been so long. We need to catch up."

"I don't have time to screw around, Jonghyun. Do you have the things I ordered?" Yongguk asked him flatly and got laughter in response.

"Of course I do, Gukkie!" Jonghyun clapped his hands in amusement. "But first, we need to talk some things through."

The air instantly changed. It seemed extremely tense, like a wire being stretched to its limit. Only a little more pressure and it would snap. Each member of SHINee casually pulled out a gun and aimed them at BAP, adding fuel to a slow burning fire.

"A couple weeks ago, I was enjoying a lovely vacation in the tropics when a friend of mine told me what happened to SNSD." Jonghyun's voice was light at first, but with each word it became more of a hiss, and I watched with fascination as his beautiful face contorted into one resembling Medusa. "You killed my sister, Gukkie. Do you really think I'm just going to let that slide?"

Yongguk only chuckled with a small shrug of his shoulders. "It's not my fault you didn't teach those pretty little dolls how to take care of themselves."

Even from my crappy vantage point, I could see that Jonghyun was getting extremely close to losing it. He pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at Yongguk. "You're the gun expert here, Gukkie. Please tell me about this one."

"It's a Sig Sauer 9mm handgun, Jonghyun. You should really research your weapons." Yongguk laughed in his face. Before anyone reacted, Daehyun threw something small and round that landed directly in front of Jonghyun's shoes and it exploded in smoke. I heard violent coughing and gunshots as Yongguk yelled, "COVER!"

BAP spread out and took cover around the warehouse. As the smoke cleared, I realized that I was completely visible to SHINee. Jonghyun kept shrieking, "Kill them! Kill them all!" and two members of SHINee rushed towards me. I heard someone shout my name but I ignored it as I ran towards my assailants. Without giving it a second thought, I quickly ducked under one of their punches and broke the man's neck, dropping the limp body while turning to face the other who screamed, "Onew!" He began attacking me with a flurry of punches and I saw tears running down his face as he furiously tried to kill me. Feeling bored, I ended the fight by slamming my palm over his heart with as much force as I could muster, which I knew to be fatal. Hearing a jarring crunch, I let the man fall as his eyes widened, seeing him clutch his chest as the light was sapped from his eyes.

Stepping over the two dead men, I walked towards the main fight, but was stopped by another man. No, not a man. A teenager, who couldn't have been any older than me, and with what appeared to be next to no killing experience as his fairy-like face crunched up in horror at the sight of the two men on the ground. Letting out a blood-curdling cry, the teen charged towards me. For a moment I almost felt guilty for scarring the poor kid for life, but then I remembered I had a job to do.

"Taemin, no!" Jonghyun's shout was slightly muffled, so I paid no attention to him as I grabbed a pipe off the floor and clubbed the boy hard in the stomach. He fell to the ground with an anguished wail, looking up at me with hateful tears in his eyes as he clutched his abdomen. My limbs froze as a small bell of familiarity rang in my head, and I stared at the other boy as he struggled to get to his feet. Snapping back to reality, I brought the pipe down over his head, not hard enough to kill him but just enough so that he'd wake with a major headache.

I grit my teeth as I threw the pipe away, pushing away any unnecessary thoughts.

When I looked around me, the gunshots had ceased and BAP stood watching me. All of the SHINee members had been taken out, and not one member of BAP was harmed.

"Not bad." Himchan praised me and Young Jae laughed.

"That's exactly what I said." Young Jae grabbed him in a playful headlock and they all laughed as the two of them fought.

Suddenly, I saw Jonghyun stand up behind Yongguk. He was badly injured: his leg was broken, blood dripped down his face, and his arm looked unnatural as he raised his hand.

What's he doing? Is he going to run for it? I thought idly before seeing the gun in his hand.

Without even thinking, I sprinted towards Yongguk as Jonghyun took aim. I shoved him out of the way and a single gunshot rang out. Yongguk flew out of the way as the bullet pierced my abdomen. Himchan threw a knife at Jonghyun and it hit him in the chest, dropping him like a fly.

"Zelo!" Young Jae shouted as I fell to the floor and ran towards me.

I'd been tortured and punched quite a lot. Hell, I'd even been hit by a speeding car. Yet nothing compared to the fiery pain that was pulsing through my stomach. I groaned as my vision was beginning to darken around the edges and I saw BAP gather around me.

"Why the hell did you do that, you idiot?" I heard Yongguk growl before slipping into a comfortable sleep.