Chapter 2

Dark Maknae

Everything was a frenzied whirlwind when landed in Gyeryong, one of South Korea's smallest cities, the next morning. It was barely ten past six when I met up with Tao at Command, and he led me into one of the hangars where all the jets and helicopters were kept. A cool, dewy breeze blew over my face, and I shivered slightly, bringing my black scarf up to cover my mouth. I was scheduled to take a jet to Seoul in order begin my mission, and catching a cold would not be a great way to start it off.

"We've managed find out about a drug deal that BAP has scheduled," Tao informed me as he guided me towards the sleek white jet, handing me a thick, white manila envelope as we walked, "so this is your opportunity to infiltrate them. All the information we've gathered so far about each member is in this envelope, as well as how you'll be proceeding during the drug deal. Read it and memorize it while you’re on the jet, then destroy it."

"How long is this mission going to last?" I asked as he turned to leave the hangar.

The raven haired male paused momentarily, as if carefully contemplating his response, before looking back to me.

"Indefinitely," Tao replied bluntly, giving me a small nod. "Good luck, Zelo."


AGENT ZELO BRIEFING REPORT

TIME: 0700 HOURS

CLASSIFICATION: RANK A

DESTINATION: DOBONG-GU, SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA

------DESTROY AFTER READING------

Situation:

In approximately 127 days, Best Absolute Perfect (a.k.a. BAP) has taken control of the entire Korean underworld. BAP is made up of only five members, and this poses an extreme threat to the North and South Korean governments. Currently, they are confirmed to be responsible for the deaths of thirty-seven civilians, twelve North Korean government officials, and eighteen South Korean government officials. If they continue at their current rate, BAP will most likely seize control over the United States drug trade, making them one of the most powerful gangs in history.

Your mission is to acquire as much information as possible about BAP and report back to Command.

On March 20, 2013 at approximately 11:27 p.m., BAP will be meeting with an opposing gang for a drug dealing. One of our agents will be undercover in the opposing gang, and he will start a fight between the two gangs. You must assist BAP in defeating them, gaining their trust and creating a window into the gang.

Each member of BAP is to be considered extremely dangerous. We have gathered information on each member.

Enemy Forces:

Bang Yong Guk - Leader of BAP

Cover Name: Yongguk

Age: 18

Hometown: Incheon, South Korea

Additional Information: Parents killed in car accident, no siblings known of. Eighth degree black belt in taekwondo, also has extensive firearms training.

Kim Him Chan

Cover Name: Himchan

Age: 18

Hometown: Seoul, South Korea

Additional Information: Incarcerated for three years due to patricide, mother and two sisters were relocated to USA for safety. Competed at international level in double katana tournaments, banned for life at age 14 after paralyzing competitor.

Yoo Young Jae

Cover Name: Young Jae

Age: 17

Hometown: Seoul, South Korea

Additional Information: family information unknown, has been taught mixed martial arts since age 4

Jeong Daehyun

Cover Name: Daehyun

Age: 17

Hometown: Busan, South Korea

Additional Information: father killed in hit-and-run, mother died of cervical cancer, brother beaten to death by muggers. Incarcerated for eight months due to planting a bomb at his high school and killing three classmates. Has extensive pyrotechnic knowledge.

Moon Jong Up

Cover Name: Jong Up

Age: 17

Hometown: unknown

Additional Information: father, mother, brother and sister were killed in plane crash. Sustained a severe shoulder injury. Scored 197 on an IQ test at age 13, is suspected to have greatly increased since then.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE THIS MISSION BEFORE INITIATED. SHOULD YOU ACCEPT, YOU MAY NOT REQUEST TO BE TAKEN OUT OF THE MISSION AFTER INITIATED.


Patricide. Killed three classmates. Extremely dangerous.

After reading the report on the members of BAP, I just sat back in my seat with a long sigh.

"They're just like me," I muttered to myself, realizing that if the government hadn't picked me up when they did, I would probably be dead from trying to kill gangs like this.

Well, this is definitely going to be interesting.


It was time.

After arriving in Dobong-gu, a simple black SUV was waiting in my name, I drove to the hotel that Tao had given me directions to, and had waited for nearly a full week before getting a simple, yet clear text from him:

Go.

Dressing myself in black skinny jeans, black high tops, a black longsleeve sweater, and a mask with the jaw of a skull covering my lower face, I felt like a ninja. After twisting and turning in front of a mirror, searching for any flaws in my appearance, I pulled up my hood cover my newly cut and black-dyed hair. I looked fantastic. I knew I was being completely narcissistic, but at least I accepted it. I turned away and walked toward the front door.

Just before pushing open the plain door of my hotel room, I pulled out the wallet that my mother had given to me two days before she died. Sighing, I gently ran my thumb over the only picture I had left of her. She was beautiful; shiny chocolate curls that framed her petite face, a soft creamy complexion, and deep ebony eyes that shone like stars. Why she ever decided to marry the pig of a father I had was beyond me. I kissed the picture, like I always did before a mission, and slipped the wallet into the back pocket of my jeans.

To reduce the risk of being caught in a cover story, I was just supposed to use my real identity. It wasn't as if I had any loved ones that I'd be putting in danger, but I would just use the name that the government had given me: Zelo. I would never tell anyone my real name ever again. That boy had died a long time ago. My background wasn't glorious, so if BAP asked about it, I would just tell them the truth. My mother was killed, my father is a scumbag, and my brother & sister, Jasmine and Taemin, were taken by some loan sharks that my father owed money to. This way, I wouldn't have to remember an intricate cover story.

I had talked with Command a bit in the week leading up to today. I would go to the drug deal and act like I was supposed to be dealing with the opposing gang, not BAP. A fight would ensue, and hopefully I would still be alive by the time BAP finished with the other gang. I was to kill as many of the gang as possible to show that I was capable of defending myself, but not so much that my experience as an assassin would show. I wasn't allowed to use any weapons during the fight, not that it was a problem- I fought better in hand-to-hand combat- but if one of them shot me, I would be less than pleased.

My watch read 10:47 p.m., so I had to get going. Instead of risking being seen by taking a taxi or the train, I decided to walk to the warehouse, which was roughly twenty kilometers away from where I was. Well, not so much as walk but rather flat-out sprint. It took me fifteen minutes to get to the warehouse, and I wasn't even breathing hard.

I looked at my watch. 11:04 p.m. I had at least fifteen minutes to kill before anyone showed up, so I decided to explore. Hoisting myself up to the second floor using old scaffolding, I surveyed the warehouse, scouting for areas to conceal myself and places to stay away from, like the piles of rusty, sharp-edged barrels that seemed to be scattered about the cavernous space.

After a few minutes, I was beginning to get bored when I heard a chorus of motorcycles pull up outside the warehouse. Counting them as the shut off, I dedeuced there were five of them before holding my breath.

It's them.

Being careful not to make any noise, I jumped back down to the first floor and snuck over to a window facing the gang. Taking a deep breath, I peered over the windowsill and set my gaze on five of the most dangerous teenagers in all of North and South Korea.

The first member I recognized had two long, thin, black cylinders strapped to his back, and I realized it was Himchan, the boy who had paralyzed a competitor in a tournament. If I ever fought him, my chances of winning would be significantly reduced, but not quite to the point of fatality. He had black, side-swept hair that fell into his eyes, and he appeared to be tall, but not quite as tall as me.

One member of BAP caught my eye. He was doing something with a small rectangular object in his hands. I squinted, trying to see what it was, but it was too dark. Realizing a few moments after, I watched as Daehyun took out a lighter, my eyes widening when I realized what he was doing. Daehyun brought the flame towards a black string poking out of the retangular object, but before he could light the fuse, Himchan threw a katana at him which plunged deep into the wall not ten centimeters from his face, causing Daehyun to drop it.

"Oh, c'mon Himchan, just one," Daehyun begged as Himchan strode over and snatched the lighter away from him.

"Do you want to kill us?" Himchan growled, clearly not amused with him.  I was surprised at how deep his voice was; based on his features, I expected something more soft and lilting, similar to Tao.

"No, I just-" Daehyun started but was cut off by him.

"Then stop screwing around," Himchan snapped and tossed the lighter back to Daehyun, who was now pouting like a child who had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Wow, I thought idly to myself, he got that kid to stop with nine words.

"You shouldn't always be trying to blow stuff up, Daehyun," a quiet voice said, 'it's bad for your health."

I turned toward the voice and saw Jong Up, the guy who had the shoulder injury. He had a slender frame and looked almost fragile, as if you pushed him too hard he would break. His hair was a striking shade of blond, close to the shade that I usually chose when dying mine. Although he didn't look like he had a shoulder injury, I could see that his left arm hung limply at his side.

"That's true, Daehyun. Try not to set things on fire for a few minutes, okay?" I heard a deep, smooth voice say. Looking over at who had spoken, I almost gasped. Standing there was the most non-threatening looking guy I had ever seen. His sandy blond hair was stuck up at all angles, making him look like he had just woken up, and his grey denim vest was ed, showing off a tanned eight pack. The man looked like he was about to grab a surfboard and go catch some waves, yet I knew he was the leader, Yongguk. There an air of strength and superiority around him, as if he were a king. The K3 light machine gun casually slung across his back was also a slight giveaway as well.

So this is Best Absolute Perfect, I breathed silently.

Of course, it was only then that I realized I was the biggest idiot on the planet, as a small, yet crucial detail arose in my mind at the same moment a small clinking noise sounded from behind me.

One of them was missing.