Sixth barrier;

Better than words;

"M-Morning,"

Jinki tried his best to not stutter as he got up from the position he and Jonghyun were in for the whole night. Sleeping next to Jonghyun that close wasn't something he had expected when he woke up, definitely not. He couldn't even remember when he fell asleep, for goodness sake. All he could remember was he stayed overnight at the church instead of going home-

.

Kibum and Minho. 

Jinki immediately turned to his side to search for his handphone in his bag while Jonghyun sat up too, to stretch his arms while Jinki pressed a few buttons and saw that his phone had no response. He proceeded to press a few more buttons until he was convinced enough to announce that his phone was officially dead. That was when Jinki heard a soft laughter behind him, and turned to see Jonghyun lean forward. He blinked in surprise and felt his heart leap, until Jonghyun finger-combed the hair at the back of his head. And for Jonghyun's actions, there was a pretty good reason. His hair was very much messed up. 

"Thanks," 

Jinki smiled, and combed Jonghyun's colored fringe gently as well. Jonghyun's features softened at Jinki's action, and lowered his head, Jinki's fingers barely touching his forehead. The university student was about to pull back his hand until the singer grabbed it all of a sudden, and muttered 'thanks' in a sincere tone. Jinki was reminded of how the singer cried the night before, and used his other remaining hand to hold onto Jonghyun's hand. Both of his hands were holding onto Jonghyun's already warm one tightly, letting him know that he wasn't alone. 

"Thanks," Jonghyun repeated. 

 

 
-<3-

 

They stepped out of the park, and Jinki was about to flag a cab that was approaching until the singer tugged Jinki's sleeve to face him. Jinki supposed he looked really surprised, as Jonghyun looked amused at his expression. Jonghyun ruffled Jinki's hair lightly and flashed him a bright smile.

"Breakfast?" 

Jinki had lots of things on his mind in that moment. He needed to get home and brush up so that he could rush to the university. There's still a chance that he could make it on time for university if he got onto this cab, or he could get home before Kibum and Minho left for work to at least let his friends know that he was still alive and not kidnapped. He looked at Jonghyun apologetically, and guessed the singer got his meaning since the singer stepped in front to flag the cab for him.

Jinki looked at the back view of Jonghyun and felt like saying a hundred times "sorry" to the singer. He took steps closer to the cab who had stopped, and passed Jonghyun who looked really disappointed. His hand held onto the car handle for a long moment, images of different sides of Jonghyun just kept appearing in his mind. He let go of the handle, and shook his head when the driver shot him a confused look. The cab took the cue to drive off then, and he turned to face a puzzled Jonghyun.

"Chicken?" Jinki grinned sheepishly.

He guessed skipping lectures for once wouldn't hurt much.

 

 

 

-<3-

 

Then they found themselves in a breakfast store after wandering around the streets for a long while. Jinki couldn't stop chuckling at how Jonghyun disguised himself with a thick-framed glasses along with a beanie that covered his striking colored hair. They ordered two set As and were happily seated in the corner of the store which was not that noticeable. Jonghyun's songs were played through the speakers of the store, and there was this satisfied smile on Jonghyun that made a slight quirk in his mouth. 

Two plates with identical food were then served to their table. Each of the two plates had one sausage, an egg, two fried chicken-wings along with two glasses of fresh orange juice. Jonghyun had his fork pierced into the egg immediately, and that was when Jinki remembered that eggs weren't good for people with an injury and stopped him. Jonghyun looked at Jinki's hands which held a firm grip onto his, and the university student's eyes were filled with determination.

"Jinki?"

He found himself speechless; how could he explain to Jonghyun that it was bad for his ankle injury? He racked his brain for a long while until he finally gave up, and decided that actions were far more better than words. He switched Jonghyun's sunny side-up egg with the sausage, and grinned at his accomplishment. Jonghyun only looked confused for a while, before smiling, regardless if he really understood or not. 

They had their breakfast cheerfully at the breakfast store, full of sweet smiles whenever honey orbs met with round ones. 

 


-
 


They stood on the streets, and by how Jonghyun looked Jinki knew it was time to part. It was the first time that they had spent time outside of the church, and Jinki wouldn't deny the fact that having breakfast with Jonghyun brightened his day very much. He enjoyed it, a lot. Their hands were held tightly as they waited for a cab as usual, and the only thing that was different was probably how tight Jonghyun was holding onto his.

It was as if the singer hated to let go of his hand. 

They wanted to spend more time together, but Jinki guessed Jonghyun wouldn't be free, since he's a singer. He knew enough from Minho, who always looked so exhausted after a long tiring schedule. He guessed they could at least, remain like this, hands tightly held for just another while. But a cab came into their sights, and both of their sighs were immediate, loud and audible, causing them to look at each other for another split second before chuckling.

The cab finally stopped in front of them, and before Jinki could enter the car, Jonghyun pulled him in for another tight hug. Jinki smiled as he patted Jonghyun's back lightly, feeling the singer ruffling his hair like how he always did.

"Jinki ah, thanks."

The university student lost count on how many times the singer had thanked him already.

 

 
 
-<3-

 

"Lee Jinki, give me three reasons for why the hell you even bought a handphone in the first place."

Jinki smiled sheepishly, and knew whatever answers he gave, it would not appease his friend who obviously looked relieved at his return, yet a little angry. He shifted his vision to Minho, who just stared at him, with zero intention to help him get out of Kibum's grilling. 

"If you weren't coming back, you should have at least texted me, Jinki." Kibum folded his arms and glared at his best-friend who was standing at the door, looking all so awkward and guilty at the same time. "I thought Jonghyun abducted you or something."

"I slept at the church-"

"You slept with Jonghyun?" Minho interrupted, and was elbowed by Kibum immediately. He turned to see Kibum staring at him with disbelief. It was then he realized how wrong it had sounded, totally. "I-I mean, you stayed overnight with him?"

Jinki nodded his head nervously as he rested his bag on the nearest chair, and seated himself opposite of Kibum and Minho, with a small table in between them. Lots of empty cups were on it with stains of coffee, and Jinki felt guilt creeping into his heart. 

"Sorry," Jinki mumbled, like a child who got caught by his parents for lying. "I fell asleep in the church as I was really too tired and... my battery went flat."

"It was flat after I spammed your phone for god knows how long," Kibum rolled his eyes. He didn't look that angry anymore, perhaps he was just too worried and was feeling better after he saw Jinki reaching home safely in one piece. "Forget it, since you came back safely. Now have some breakfast first before going back to sleep."

Jinki looked at the takeaway boxes of food that were on the table, and scratched his cheek, feeling abashed. 

"I ate breakfast with Jonghyun earlier..."

"... Wait. Lee Jinki. Did you just skip your lectures?"

The look on Kibum's face was really priceless when Jinki said that he did skip the lectures to have breakfast with the singer since the half-blonde looked really desolated and needed someone to be with. It could just be the first time that Lee Jinki ever skipped a lesson, or lectures. Jinki laughed awkwardly when Kibum started to groan about how Jonghyun was going to lead his son Jinki astray while all Minho could do was to think of something silently.

"What happened last night?"

Jinki gulped nervously when both of his friends were staring at him curiously. It looked like he had to rack his brain real hardly to explain the situation last night clearly to both of his friends without getting them to take it the wrong way.

 

 

-<3-

 

"So, you did sleep with Jonghyun." Minho dodged the pillow that was thrown towards his face and cleared his throat. "I mean, not in that way-" 

"That's not important," Kibum waved his right hand, dismissing Minho's words. "The most important thing was, Jinki ah. Did you just say that Kim Jonghyun kissed you?"

Jinki wanted to dig a huge hole in the park and live there for decades. After explaining to them detailedly about what happened the night before which was kind of depressing since both Jonghyun and him cried, this was all they could hear. Sleeping and kissing. Seriously, he wondered what both of his friends were really thinking in their minds. 

"I fell asleep next to him," Jinki phrased it in a better way. "And, Jonghyun just gave a light peck on my forehead. That's all."

See the difference between his words and his friends' ones even though they meant the same thing? 

 

 
-<3-

 

The weeks after he had stayed overnight in the church were pretty carefree. He could just laze around in his bed for the whole afternoon till evening as the assignments that were issued to him were finished, and he could just laugh at how Minho grumbles when Kibum used him as a model for his clothes. He smiled when he saw Jonghyun singing live in the television, promoting another song instead of the quick-beat one. He smiled even wider when Kibum translated this interview of Jonghyun for him whereby the singer said that his mood was very much better, and his ankle injury didn't hurt that much anymore. Of course, Jinki hadn't forgotten to learn Korean, but both of his friends hadn't forgotten how bad he was with languages. 

Meetings with Jonghyun were just filled with laughters and sweet chuckles. Jinki hadn't stayed overnight ever since that night, and the most special thing that had ever happened during these few weeks were probably how they went out to have spicy rice cake for supper before returning home, and how they cleaned the church together. It was then Jinki saw Jonghyun covering the bench had the singer's carving with a white rough cloth. It seemed that the singer didn't want Jinki to see what was beneath it since whenever Jinki neared the bench, Jonghyun would hop in front of him and pulled him away. 

Jinki loved how things were going for him; he had the greatest friends and a greatest...? 



-
 


"Boyfriend," Kibum answered straightaway when Jinki gathered his courage and asked Kibum about what Jonghyun really was, if there must be a definition to their relationship. For the sake of the insecurity he was feeling. "Both of you are lovers."

Jinki choked on the glass of iced lemonade immediately, and Minho sighed softly before clearing the mess on the table. Kibum just shrugged before returning to pack his finished products with an accomplished look on his face. Jinki scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as he tugged Minho's sleeve lightly, asking the actor the exact same question. 

"Just like what Kibum just said," Minho mumbled flatly, wondering why Jinki was even asking this question when the answer was this obvious. "Both of you are lovers."

Jinki didn't know how to react at that. He would just stare at Kibum and Minho with a blank expression, before scratching his head in confusion and walk away.

 


-



"Jinki ah, this has become..." Kibum wrinkled his nose in distaste as he stared at the petunias that had withered. "Dried flowers."

He took the small pot of petunias up, and it was clear that he didn't want to throw it away. "I love dried flowers," Kibum rolled his eyes and sat beside Jinki, staring at the small pot of flowers that Jinki had put so much effort and soul in keeping those flowers alive. Jinki always frown whenever he saw the flowers' colors fading, and soon it became like this and, Jinki became delusional. When did he even like dried flowers?

"Tell Jonghyun to give you another bouquet of flowers then," Minho poked at the buttons on the disc player, and soon Jonghyun's songs started playing. "Maybe roses this time?"

Jinki sighed.

"He gave me petunias because I helped him to clean the church up, nothing else."

"Petunias stand for 'your presence soothes me', Jinki. It's did not mean gratitude or anything near that," Minho muttered under his breath softly as he pulled the plate of sliced apples that was abandoned at the side of the bed next to him. "Maybe he likes you since long ago."

"Even if he really checked up the meaning of petunias," Jinki sighed as he saw Kibum getting his laptop to google for the meaning of flowers. "Your presence soothes me does not mean I love you like crazy."

"But normally if a person's presence soothes me, there's a high chance that it's because I really like the person-"

All of a sudden, Kibum started laughing boisterously, leaving both of his best-friends staring him in confusion, wondering if Kibum had gone nuts, finally. 

"Petunias mean resentment too."

It was then Minho threw his hands up in defeat, leaving the designer to continue laughing while he pat Jinki on the head like the university student was still a kid.

"Fine, he did not check up the meaning of flowers before deciding what to buy for you."

Jinki just shrugged as he watched Kibum trying to hold back his laughter as he got down from the bed to Minho, getting the apples. He shifted his vision back to the petunias, and found himself smiling again. The meaning of petunias didn't really matter, since Jinki could never erase the memory of how Jonghyun jumped out from hiding and pushed this bouquet of flowers into his hands. 

Of course, if Jonghyun really meant that Jinki's presence soothed him, Jinki would want him to know that the singer's presence soothed him too. 

"Jinki ah," 

He looked up from the flowers to see that Kibum was already sitting in front of him, legs crossed. 

"Let's go out for a celebration tomorrow," He turned to look at the actor who was still eating the apples and looking at the book 'Juliette' that was lying on the short table. "I finally completed my clothes. I'm not sure where, just anywhere but home."

Jinki's eyes lit up at the thought of the three of them going out together. He missed it to bits. He really missed how the three of them always roamed around their neighbourhood. 

"After that I can just drive you to the park to meet Jonghyun," Kibum smirked. "Your dear boyfriend~"

 

 
-<3-

 

The three of them found them in the breakfast store the next morning. Yes, it was the exact same store that Jinki and Jonghyun went to. Kibum just looked at the store, wondering when the store even existed before his best-friend pulled him in. It was Jinki who suggested that they should come here for breakfast before heading out, and Minho agreed, since he was starving. While they were eating, they created quite a noise level when it was Jonghyun's song that was playing again through the speakers, and the three of them actually sang along with it. After all those stares that were directed to them, Kibum laughed at how Minho tried to hide his face in embarrassment.

They went to an amusement park afterwards, ignoring all strong protests that were coming from Kibum. 

They rode on the pirate ship, the suspended roller coaster, water rides, had a swing ride, and lastly they went into the house of horror. Kibum thought it was rather cool when they were on the pirate ship, none of them was screaming their heads off or anything like that. It was the roller coaster that made Kibum hit Minho on the back after they got off, since it was Minho's suggestion that they should ride on it. The water rides surprised Jinki, he didn't know the slide would be that steep and he got shocked pretty much after going down, but he guessed it was kind of fun. The swing ride was way too hilarious; Jinki's shoes were near to falling off and it sent his best-friends into a fit of laughter.

The house of horror was seriously, Jinki really didn't know what to say. There was this living zombie who was cladded with a ragged white doctor's jacket who chased him out of the three of them, causing the poor university student to run for his life as he screamed like a kid and for Kibum and Minho who just guffawed at his misfortune. Jinki heard a yelp behind and turned to see the zombie lying on the floor. Jinki had a blank expression then, he didn't know how to react to a zombie falling until he heard Minho's loud laughter, Kibum's shriek and cursing.

He distanced himself from the zombie as fast as he could as he went over to where his best-friends were. Kibum was busy hitting onto this artificial head that popped out of nowhere through the wall that startled him. Minho had to hold back his laughter as much as he could to pull Kibum away before the poor head fall off which would shock him even more. 

And that was when Jinki realized that the zombie which fell earlier on was running back to them again. He pretended as if he didn't see and went over to hide behind Kibum who was still glaring at the head. Minho, who stood back-facing the approaching zombie, just shook his head and turned to see the living-dead which was wearing ragged white jacket, hands in the air trying to scare the hell out of him while "woah-ing" in a somewhat creepy way. Minho just blinked at the zombie for a short while before patting the living dead on the shoulder, muttering a soft sentence of 'you've worked hard today"and walked past him with his best-friends behind, laughing uncontrollably. 

Zombies have their worst days too, Jinki noted after that.

After exiting the amusements with some soft teddy bears and headbands with cute animal ears on, they decided to buy some food to eat at the beach nearby. Minho bought a roasted chicken, knowing that Jinki would love it while Kibum picked some simple sandwiches, a few fruits, snacks and three bottles of white wine, much to Jinki's surprise.

Kibum just rolled his eyes.

"We have passed the legal age, Jinki ah."



-



Kibum took a red mat out of his car boot, and spread it out at the soft sand. Jinki couldn't help but get reminded of the blue checkered mat Jonghyun and he always laid on. But Jinki pushed the thought out as soon as the food was ready to be eaten; he was starving. Kibum then complained about how annoying the head that popped out of nowhere was, causing Minho to laugh again. The actor then told Jinki how hilarious Kibum's reaction was. Jinki chuckled as Kibum glared at Minho, while all of a sudden there's this group of three girls coming up to their friend who was an actor for an autograph. Kibum just finished the plastic cup of white wine, acting like it was normal. It was then Jinki realized that Minho really was an actor, not just his high-school friend anymore. 

"Minho is really an actor." 

Kibum just laughed at how ridiculous and sudden Jinki's words were and Minho just smiled while scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. It looked like Kibum had perfectly gotten use to fans coming up to Minho for signatures, since he had been living with Minho for a long time, ever since he migrated here. And well for Jinki, he guessed he would still need a long time.

After the fans have left, Jinki was still looking all that impressed while Kibum was just, plain uninterested. 

"Kibum ah! You should feel proud that Minho is being so successful in his career!" 

Jinki chirped cheerfully at his friend's achievement. He felt so proud for Minho, who was so quiet and shy during high school time actually became a famous charismatic actor. Kibum then faked a bright yet obviously stiff smile while saying how proud he was to his dearest handsome Minho, causing both Jinki and Minho to laugh at how weird it actually was when Kibum started to praise someone.

They tried to finish their meal as fast as they could after more glances were thrown towards their direction due to Minho's presence. But what surprised Jinki the most was, some of MInho's fans even recognized who Kibum was. He could only gape at how some fans actually knew the designer's name and even knew what was the name of the shop that Kibum owned. Kibum just shrugged as he continued munching on his sandwich, and Jinki couldn't quite tell if Kibum was feeling annoyed or uncomfortable. He definitely wasn't feeling great that many people started to surround where they were eating. 

 


-
 


They had hurriedly finish packing all the stuff and went over to Kibum's car, keeping everything in the car boot except for the white wine that wasn't finished yet. Minho just politely said goodbye to all of his fans before Kibum drove the red car off to the main road, distancing themselves from the fans. It was late in the night already, and Jinki couldn't believe that there were still fans of Minho out at the beach. Kibum just muttered about how fans of Minho would just appear anywhere even when it was late in the night. Minho just laughed as he slipped the remaining single bottle of white wine that they couldn't finish into Jinki's bag, and told the university student that he could take it to Jonghyun when he'll go meet with the singer later on as a form of celebration that he won the best male singer award a few days ago. Kibum started laughing at the memory of how Jinki jumped around the house when Jonghyun's name left the awarder's lips. 

Jinki then smiled, anticipating to see Jonghyun's bright smile.

 

 

-<3-

 

As soon as Jinki pushed open the door with a soft "hello!", Jonghyun got up from where he was seated and took out something from his leather backpack. Jinki closed the door behind him carefully before walking towards the blue checkered mat, a smile creeping up to his mouth as he watched Jonghyun searched his bag. And there, Jonghyun pulled out the award that he had won at the music ceremony days ago. He looked so exhilarated, and it felt like he was the most happy man on earth. Jinki's smile widened unknowingly. He closed his hands nervously before hugging the singer that was standing before him, it was probably the first time he even initiated anything.

"Congratulations," 

Jinki patted the back of the singer, hoping that he could understand his words. He couldn't see how warm Jonghyun's smile was, though.

 


-
 


That night, they shared the bottle of white wine that tasted sweeter than ever as Jonghyun pulled out a polaroid camera and started taking photographs of both of them. Jinki was pretty camera-shy at first, and Jonghyun only succeeded on taking some when Jinki wasn't noticing. But after consistent drinking of the white wine, the camera-shyness was officially announced missing. Pictures of both of them making weird and funny faces were there, pictures of both of them smiling bright were there too, and pictures of and a photograph of them looking at each other was there after Jonghyun pressed the shot button accidentally. Oh, there were pictures of Jinki blanking out too, which have them laughing for long.

They then sang the songs from Jonghyun's album, and Jonghyun's clear laughter echoed slightly at the church when Jinki accidentally tripped over his own feet, falling onto the floor when he attempted to dance a song from Jonghyun. The singer picked him up gently and ruffled his hair with the bright smile that he liked so much, and Jinki could just feel his cheeks burning at that moment. Perhaps it was due to the alcohol, or from how close their faces were, how Jonghyun's round orbs were looking into his and how bright Jonghyun's smile was, Jinki's face was burning like nobody's business and it was totally red. Jinki supposed Jonghyun noticed, since the singer cupped his cheeks gently and the cheeky smile faded to a soft one.

And Jinki's heart leapt when Jonghyun closed the distance between them, Jonghyun's lips crashing onto his ones. 

That was nothing like the peck on his forehead weeks ago; Jinki would name the forehead-kiss weeks ago somewhat bitter, since his heart was seriously hurting from the sight of Jonghyun crying that night but - this was a kiss. It tasted like nothing but the white wine they had drunk before, and his mind went blank. His skin heated from Jonghyun's sudden actions but he did nothing to push the singer away.

Jinki always pictured his first kiss to be light, brief and full of shy smiles. At a wide field with green grass that had pretty daisies, with sun that was so bright and a comfortable breeze.

Apparently nothing went his way.

Jonghyun's arms were tightly secured around his waist, as they locked their lips together, the kiss was nothing light and brief. The shyness was washed away by all the alcohol and instead of kissing under the bright sun at the wide field, they were kissing intensely under the half-moon in an abandoned church. It was only until the both of them were near to breathless that Jonghyun broke the kiss, their foreheads leaning onto each other for support. Jonghyun's arms left Jinki's waist and his hands were cupping the university student's cheeks gently. It was mind-blowing, Jinki couldn't even think, he didn't even know what they were doing. 

 


-



They waited for the cab, hands held lightly and their hearts racing. Earlier, Jinki took steps backwards from Jonghyun immediately after he could finally took control of his mind. It wasn't that he hated the kiss, but he was just too surprised to even know what to react. Perhaps Jonghyun took it in a wrong way, the singer looked guilty for his actions after seeing Jinki's flustered look. He looked apologetic, and Jinki was too, for having the singer to feel that way when it was all a misunderstanding. They remained at their positions for another long while before they decided to go back home, and Jinki watched as Jonghyun kept the blue mat with a sad smile. Jinki swore he could hear a soft 'sorry' from the singer when they exited the church, but the singer just pretended that he hadn't did so and carried on walking.

The cab was then in sight, and Jinki felt Jonghyun squeezing his hand lightly before letting go, and he felt the cold air almost instantly. The car pulled to a stop beside them, and Jinki turned to look at Jonghyun who had a light smile as he waved Jinki goodbye. 

Jinki breathed in deeply, and recalled the kiss that was too much of a surprise for him to actually think properly. The alcohol had worn off a little, at least to the state that Jinki could actually think properly. And he knew.

He leaned towards Jonghyun, and saw the singer's eyes blinking in surprise when he brushed his lips against him lightly. Jinki took a step backwards for him to see Jonghyun's expression clearly, and the singer looked gobsmacked. Jinki's cheeks were tinged pink as he scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. They had to look at each other for another long while before breaking into silly grins and chuckles.

Somewhere in Jinki's racing heart and mind that moment was telling him that he, Lee Jinki, really fell for and loved Jonghyun. And the university student didn't bother to deny it this time.