Fourth barrier;

Better than words;

 

"Flowers."

Kibum stated flatly. 

Jinki nodded nervously, as he looked at how Kibum was eyeing the bouquet of petunias he was carefully holding. After receiving the flowers from Jonghyun, Jinki found his fingers running through the soft petals gently every two minutes. He would smile like a fool after remembering how cute Jonghyun's smile was when he jumped out of nowhere, attempting to surprise Jinki, which he succeeded in. 

"From Jonghyun?" 

Minho raised an eyebrow, and cleared his throat in slight embarrassment after seeing Kibum roll his eyes, as if telling Minho that he was asking the very obvious. Jinki gulped when Kibum's questioning eyes were back onto him again. It was as if Kibum was prepared to ask him thousands of questions, while Minho, who had his face resting on his palm, had an amused look. 

It wasn't until minutes later, when Jinki found his fingers brushing the soft petals of the petunias lightly again as he nodded, Kibum and Minho broke into an unstoppable laughter. 

"That's something I really didn't expect," Kibum clutched his poor stomach which hurt as his remaining hand covered his eyes, which probably had tears gathered at. "Are you two holding hands already?"

Jinki widened his eyes.

"W-What are you talking about!? He's only giving me flowers as a token of gratitude as I helped to clean the church up for him...! Nothing else," Jinki shifted his eyes in embarrassment, only to rumble his hair with frustration when his best-friends laughed even harder. "Nothing else...!"

 

-<3-

 

 


Jinki flopped onto the bed as he exhaled deeply, cheeks still burning from all that embarrassment caused by his best-friends' laughter. He took a clear look at the petunias that were lying one the table, a smile gradually forming as he shifted his vision onto the poster. Jonghyun's smile was always contagious, Jinki realized, because he was always smiling like a fool whenever he saw the singer smile. 

He thought about the meeting earlier, when he was so surprised at Jonghyun's gift. 


-

 

 

He could only try to get his racing mind to calm down, to enable himself to think carefully about why Jonghyun gave him flowers out of the blue. Flowers, were always given to people that you like, right? That was what Jinki always thought when he was in high school, but he guessed he would have to cross that out and think of a new reason since there was no way Jonghyun would like him.

 

"... Clean," 

 

Jonghyun managed to say, for the sake of wiping the confused look off Jinki's face. It really did worked, because when he said the word "clean", Jinki broke into a bright understanding smile as he chirped that it was nothing big. And he laughed when Jonghyun did, they always laughed when they managed to get what were each other trying to say through the funniest methods. It was so new, and amazing to Jinki who had just moved to Korea for less than two months.

 

It was like an addiction, when Jinki found his fingers unable to leave the soft petals of the petunias. They were pink in color, and it really gave off a sweet appearance which lit up Jinki's heart whenever he looked at it. 

 


-


Jinki brought his right hand up, his index finger pointing to the ceiling as he wrote his name in Korean. He then laughed, at how amazing everything was. About how they couldn't speak each other's language well, yet Jinki supposed, they were getting along pretty well. He didn't even know what was happening to himself. He closed his right hand tightly as he brought it to his chest, only to find his legs kicking in the air as he laughed again, heartily. 

Both Kibum and Minho shook their heads at how the unremovable smile was on Jinki's face as they continued looking through the small gap of the unclosed door. 

"He's nuts," Kibum whispered to Minho who was standing behind him. 


-

 

 

Jinki held the bouquet of petunias tighter when out of a sudden, Jonghyun pulled him by holding his right hand gently to the bench, which Jinki had long ago, named it "Jonghyun's usual spot". It wasn't long until Jinki found himself squatting before the bench which had Jonghyun's carvings on. His fingers traced the musical note carefully, and he blinked in surprise when Jonghyun brought a small pen-knife out. 

 

Jinki watched as Jonghyun started carving something right beside the latest musical note. Jinki had a slight smile as he saw how concentrated Jonghyun was, when carving the new musical no-

 

And Jinki wasn't that stupid to not realize that it was his name in Korean that was carved on the bench. 

 

The university student could only widen his eyes in surprise when it was his name that was carved on the bench instead of the musical notes. Jonghyun had a gentle smile at that moment, and Jinki grinned back shyly as the singer ruffled his hair, as usual, softly. 

 

"Jinki ah," 

 

Jonghyun mumbled as he finished carving his name on it detailedly. His fingers left Jinki's soft hair, and continued his sentence with Korean which he didn't understand at all. Jinki didn't bother to, since he knew if he was needed to understand, Jonghyun would find a way to let him understand. 

 


-


"Jinki ah,"

The university student remembered how soothing Jonghyun's voice sounded when he said his name, and chuckled like a child who had just gotten his favorite toy. He didn't bother to notice how silly he was behaving as he sang his favorite Jonghyun song, too in his own world to realize his friends had already entered the room. He continued to bury his face in the pillow, his legs still kicking into the chair cheerfully.

"Jinki ah,"

"Hmm~?" Jinki responded happily, only to jump in utmost surprise when Kibum jumped onto him, and he thought he was going to get flattened as Kibum sat on him. "W-What's wrong?!"

Kibum smirked as he messed up Jinki's soft hair terribly, saying how Jinki had been caught red-handed by him and Minho, much to the poor university student's confusion. Minho, who was sitting on the side of the bed, did nothing to save him from Kibum who had turned nuts but to only smile in amusement. He had this thinking that craziness was contagious, and obviously Minho had gotten crazy after living with Kibum for too long. 

"Gone nuts?" Jinki exhaled deeply.

"Fell in love?" Kibum replied with a confident smirk. 

 

 

-<3-
 

 

Jinki sat on the chair in the lecturing room, remembering how Minho and Kibum laughed when he denied it. They were again, on the topic on how fast Jinki was going to get married when he has only been in Korea for a short period of time. Jinki thought his world was spinning when Kibum suddenly turned serious, and asked him if he really liked Jonghyun. And when he stuttered to say no due to the sudden seriousness, both Minho and Kibum laughed like they were watching the world's most funny comedy. Out of being too embarrassed, Jinki could only throw pillows at Kibum and Minho, telling them to get a lover and stop teasing him already.

But he smiled, remembering that Kibum and he behaved the same to Minho when they realized the taller friend had a crush. He bet this was what Minho was feeling years before, so embarrassed yet unable to get angry at them since he knew they really cared. Jinki took his phone out, which had the photograph of the three them in high-school as the wallpaper. He grinned as he imagined, near the future if Kibum ever found someone he likes, Jinki was going to grab onto the designer and make life hell for him. 

He snapped out of his thoughts when his phone vibrated, a message that was sent to him from Kibum.

"Fetching you at the usual time~ And, stop thinking about your little singer crush and pay attention to the lectures ^_^v" 

Jinki sighed at that message, when realizing that this teasing wasn't going to stop that easily. His fingers tapped on the keypad in a moderate speed, and noticed that the lecturer had already entered the room, nice timing as the reply had been sent. 

"Thanks ~ And Kibum ah! He's not my crush V_V;

And as he kept his phone, he found himself staring at his right hand, and he could feel the slight disagreement in his heart when he replied Kibum. He shook his head, and sighed at himself for being silly. There was just no way he would like Jonghyun, regardless of the singer's great personality. 

 

-<3-
 

 

And there went another week, of Kibum returning to finish the rest of the clothes he designed. Jinki was in charge of cooking for the whole week, since Kibum was going to be real busy. While he was cooking, he shook his head as he smiled when Minho stood beside him, reciting the script from his drama. Jinki lost count of how many times he told Minho that the way he said his lines had no problem in it, and how many times he had given thumbs up to Kibum whenever he showed him some of the new clothes. 

It wasn't a busy week since he had completed most of his projects, and Jinki estimated that he was going to get real busy after two to three months. He guessed he would cherish his stress-free weeks from now on, then. Jinki wondered if this was what Kibum always felt when someone's face lit up with joy and ate the food you made, thanking you sincerely? Jinki felt that his day was fully brightened, and he could only smile like a fool when Minho and Kibum finished the food he made.

"Really, next time when I'm too exhausted to cook, you shall take over, Lee Jinki." Kibum nodded his head as if he had just made a great discovery. 

Jinki just chuckled, saying that the only food he knew how to make was probably Kibum's favorite soup, Minho's favorite ramen and some simple dishes of chicken. And Kibum laughed when Minho hoped that the few dishes of chicken could last them for these few weeks, as Kibum was going to be so busy.

For days, Jinki made simple dishes as he studied the notes that the lecturer gave. Kibum only shook his head when Jinki read the notes that the lecturer gave softly, while Minho was sitting beside Jinki, trying his best to remember his script as he read them out loud, too. If anyone didn't understand the languages they were speaking in, it could be easily misunderstood as a conversation. 

Also, he didn't forget to look at the vase of petunias that Jonghyun gave him. He was trying to make it last longer by putting flower preservations, which made Kibum laughed. Jinki would smile brightly whenever he woke up and saw the pretty petunias. 

He didn't even realize it was already Sunday, Jinki thought it was just another day that he would roll around the bed lazily, whipping up another simple dishes for Kibum and Minho, filing all his notes together and helped to rehearse the lines with Minho. It wasn't until Kibum, who was deeply concentrated in his work, sarcastically complained about how great his life was, having him to sit at this chair from Monday to Sunday, making clothes non-stop.

That night, when he met Jonghyun again, they spent their hours there looking at the stars again. Jinki could tell that Jonghyun wasn't in a happy mood, his tone wasn't that bright and happy compared to the past. His tone was low, and deep as he spoke about things that Jinki knew would be hard for him to understand. But he just stared at Jonghyun, like how he stared at their first meeting. There was a slight difference, Jinki couldn't tell what it was. 

The only thing he wish that moment was probably for something happy to happen so that Jonghyun could smile. 

-

The next five weeks were busy for all of them. Well, at least, for Kibum. Minho had much more free time, since his drama shooting was pushed behind due to his co-actors and of course, sometimes he would be out for the whole day due to photo-shoots and commercial filming. And Jinki, finally took the book of how to learn Korean out and sat beside Kibum.

Through the five weeks, he couldn't really pick up the language, and sighed whenever Kibum laughed and said it was better for Jinki to stick to English. Minho would tutor him in Korean, due to his competitive personality, but later shake his head when he realized Jinki was a complete idiot with languages. He studied Korean with concentration, and didn't come out of his room until a whole week of fired studying to mumble a long string of Korean words he had learned, and Kibum raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Do you even call that Korean?"

That was all he got, and Jinki went back to his room, defeated.

And his Sundays with Jonghyun were filled laughter when Jonghyun began to sing his soothing song in the church, and was taken aback in utmost surprise when Jinki could sing along to it. But Jinki wasn't singing to it for word by word, it's just some unknown words that Jinki thought sounded like what Jonghyun sang. The five meetings with Jonghyun were spent by Jonghyun teaching Jinki some simple Korean. And it was time to show Jonghyun how much of a language idiot he was. Jonghyun too, laughed when he realized it and through hand signals Jinki laughed uncontrollably when Jonghyun told him through signals that "Why don't you teach me English, it'll be easier".

He thought the awkwardness between him and Jonghyun really disappeared. 

 

-<3-
 

 

It wasn't raining.

It was the first thing that Jinki noted when he stepped out of the church. There was only a cool breeze, and the full moon was still visible. It was nothing like the rainy Sundays that Jinki and Jonghyun encountered from weeks ago. It had been raining whenever they met each other. It was about six times, Jinki could remember. For the every six times they met, it rained every six times. Jinki remembered how harshly he fell the first time it rained, after running out of the church while Jonghyun kept the mat. 

He exhaled deeply at that memory. 

 

-<3-

 

 

Jinki bit his bottom lip at the stinging pain on his right knee as he tried to get up after slipping. It hurt badly, and Lee Jinki was never good at bearing pain. He sighed when he saw that his yellow-colored umbrella had fallen too far away from him to shelter himself from the heavy rain. His wound stung so badly with the rain hitting it. 

 

He lifted his head up when he noticed that he was sheltered from the heavy rain. And before he could even take a clear look at who it was, a warm hand held his trembling one and he was led to stand up gently. 

 

Jinki heard Jonghyun mumbling some words softly, and could clearly know that the singer was asking if he was fine. His continuous studying of Korean paid off, since he understood partly of what Jonghyun said. He shook his head and smiled awkwardly at Jonghyun, signaling him that they could continue since his wound was nothing big. And as they walked to where they usually waited for a cab, Jinki noticed the worried glances that Jonghyun was giving him. The singer had a light grip on Jinki's hand, and both of them would turn their faces away shyly whenever their eyes met after noticing their hands were still held together.

 

But none of them made the effort to separate their hands. 

 


-


Jinki looked at his right hand, his right hand which was held by Jonghyun's warm one. The weeks after his fall, were all rainy Sundays. Jinki didn't know, perhaps there was something in Jonghyun that feared Jinki falling again. They held hands again, and as each week passed, Jonghyun's grip on Jinki's hand got tighter and even firmer. The shyness and embarrassment were ceasing, and everything became much more natural. 

Maybe it was the rain, Jinki thought. That had Jinki empty his mind of all those silly thoughts. He told himself that the reason Jonghyun held his hand seven times were all because of the fear of Jinki falling. The reason was obvious, and they wouldn't dare to think anymore anyway. 

Jinki shrugged slightly as he shifted his hand, wanting to slip it into his jacket's pocket until a familiar warm hand held his again. 

The university student immediately turned his head to right, and saw the singer looking just anywhere but his direction. The cool breeze that was hitting against him lightly reminded him of the clear dark sky, that wasn't raining. Jinki clasped his right hand with Jonghyun's one gently as he smiled unknowingly with his cheeks burning, and saw the singer finally look in his direction.

They looked at each other for a long while before laughing, with their hands shifting in sync to intertwine their fingers shyly. 

 

-<3-
 

 

Jinki sat at his small table, a wide smile on his face as he looked at the transparent vase that had the petunias in it. They were so pretty when Jinki first saw them, but why was it that they had now become gorgeous? Jinki just chuckled as he shook his head off the silly thinking. Perhaps he was going nuts?

He laughed again.

“Jinki ah, I've only two conclusion towards your stupid actions.” Kibum finally spoke up after seeing Jinki smiling and giggling to himself for so many days. He sat on the table, and sighed when Jinki bent forward to prevent the vase from toppling. After hearing his friend clearing his throat in a somewhat solemn way, the university student sat with his legs crossed, back straight. 

“Firstly,” Kibum finally continued his sentence a minute of silence, after Minho entered the room and sat beside Jinki, with his laptop on his laps. “You're just being plain crazy and ridiculous.”

Jinki shook his head disapprovingly, with a slight frown on his face.

“I'm not crazy.”

Jinki gulped in discomfort when both of his best-friends gave a light chuckle after exchanging glances. Jinki knew they had something in their mind was going to make his life hell. He hoped he was wrong.

Kibum immediately held the vase of flowers up and sat on where it was, so that he could look at his best friend directly. Jinki found himself playing with his fingers nervously when Kibum smirked. Minho and him always identified that smirk as one of Kibum's trademark. 

"You," Kibum's smirk got wider as Jinki caught the small vase that Kibum tossed towards him. He was about to warn Kibum about breaking the vase until his friend's hand hit onto the empty space beside Jonghyun's poster. "Really fell in love with Kim Jonghyun."

Jinki widened his eyes and felt his cheeks heating up almost instantly.

He was about to argue about what kind of nonsense Kibum was babbling on about until images of Jonghyun came into his mind. How he mistook Jonghyun for a mugger the first time he met the singer, and how after a long period of time of trying to understand what they were both talking about, they ended up in the church, gazing at the stars. Also, the singing that Jinki loved so much, along with Jonghyun's confident smiles. Not to forget the cute drawings that Jonghyun did that created his chibi Onew. Lastly, Jonghyun's warmth -

"Look, you don't even deny it, Jinki ah!" 

Jinki immediately snapped out of those thoughts when Kibum suddenly tapped him on the forehead. When his brain started to digest what Kibum said, he went into a panic, trying to explain that he was just thinking and it was definitely not him agreeing silently. Kibum just pretended as if he didn't hear anything and sang Jonghyun's song loudly as he rolled onto the bed, causing poor Jinki to blush and turn into complete denial.

The university student turned from the bed to Minho when the actor just chuckled.

"W-What...?" 

"You're really in love, that's great. I thought you will marry books instead of a human." 

Jinki officially ruled this moment as his hell as he saw Minho smiling sincerely at his own sentence. He couldn't even bring himself to tell his friend to stop saying nonsense due to the sincere smile. While Kibum was being too confident, his dear friend here was being sincerely happy for him. Jinki ran through his soft hair helplessly as he pointed to the poster, which had Jonghyun's bright smile printed there.

"Minho ah," Jinki turned to look at the poster to continue his words. "I don't li-..."

Jinki found himself unable to continue that sentence, much to his very surprise - Kibum was the first one to laugh. 

 

 

- T B C -

 

A/N: The fonts aren't cooperating with me ;_;