Cruel Beast

The past needs to be buried

     I was sick after that. My unnies told me that my temperature was so high that they thought they would lose me.

 A week in bed without moving a finger; Doojoon, Doonwoon, Yoseob, Kikwang, even Hyunseung came to visit me, but not Junhyung. Sometimes Jihyun questionably looked at me but I just stared blankly at her.

How could I tell her that he dumped me and was the reason why I almost died?

But then everyone just knew, they must be really ignorant for not to.  

I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep. Whenever I tried to close my eyes, his face would come out and haunt me till the dawn.

I wilted day by day until Papa Hong couldn’t endure to see me like that anymore – Yes, he knew too.


"I have work for you, Hyuna-ah!"

“What is that, appa?”

Work is exactly what I need right now, to let him out of my head for awhile.

“I want you and Hyunseung to form a sub-unit”

My eyes widen in astonishment. I just think it would be some solo stuff, never expect to work with a male, especially Hyunseung –We barely talk to each other. The weather is the main topic whenever we NEED to speak. Seems to understand my thought, he says: “I know it’d be hard at first but I know you guys will get along well. I already told Hyunseung. The dance instructor will inform you about the concept later. Don’t let me down, ok?

“Neh, appa”

My jaw literally drops as I see the instructor dancing in from of us – me and Hyunseung. It isn’t y. It’s too Y. I turn my head to see his reaction. He gulps. Despite being gloomy lately, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at our situation. A pure angel like him, how in the world the president could send him here? The teacher looks at me sternly.

“I’m sorry” I mumble embarrassingly.

“You are laughing, Hyuna-shii”

I glance at him with the mixture of shame and annoyance. “I’ve already said I’m sorry, Hyunseung-shii”.

“No, I mean you haven’t done it for a long time.” He smiles sweetly.

I blink my eyes, speechless. I didn’t expect him to say so. Somehow, I’m touched by his words.

He was right about us. Turn out Hyunseung was one of the best things that ever happened to my life. Inside that shell was a gentle and kind-hearted soul. He took good care of me like an older brother I never had. I feel guilty remembering that I did use him for my own good. A part of me wanted to make Junhyung jealous and regret for what he did to me. I took the chance and turned Hyunseung into my weapon. The day we made our music video, Junhyung didn’t come to support Hyunseung although he was his best friend. I knew my plan had worked. I did it again in MAMA 2011. I was quite obvious as I’m watching the video now.

I dress as glamorous as I could, it helps, everyone can’t take their eyes off of me, including him. I can sense him looking as me through those shades.

“You ask for this, Junnie!”

I link my arm into Hyunseung’s. He is surprised but I don’t care. I’m too busy observing someone else. 

Junhyung is as stiff as a mannequin the whole night. I whisper LOUDLY into Hyunseung’s ear. I smile LOUDLY to whatever he says. Desperately want to catch his attention…But he turns his head once time when he notices Hyunseung's coat on my shoulder. Yeah, i wear a male jacket, but not his.

"You are so fussy, Hyuna-ssi!" He smirks. My first reaction is hitting him playfully like the old days then i remember we wouldn't never be the same again. When he realizes my sudden change, he becomes poker-faced again. The atmosphere is unbearable that Hyunseung fidgets around.

"Why do we become like this?" My eyes are blurry recalling the old us- The old JokerQueen. We come from strangers to best friends, to lovers then strangers again. I feel a hand patting my back as i'm whimpering.

"Don't cry here. He'll know." I nod quietly then take the handkerchief Hyunseung offers.

"You are stronger than this, Kim Hyun Ah." I tell myself. But a love couldn't end that easy. My mind, my body, my soul, every second, scream out the name Yong Junhyung. My first and only man.

...

I hung out with Hyunseung a lot, to forget the one i needed to. But every time i looked at Seungie, i always saw him. I never realized how alike they were. Their expensive fashion sense. Their coolness with everything. Their obsession with tidiness. Hyunseung was becoming his replacement. Without any awareness of both of us. I see it crystal-clear now. At United Cube Concert in London, whenever i seemed to make eye contact with him, i was checking on Junhyung by the corner of my eyes. There was even one point that i was too oblivious in thinking about the guy wearing shades next to me that i forgot to sing my part. I tried to smile during the perfomance but i indeed cried my heart out inside. He avoided any interaction between us. When i tried to smile with him, he just turned his head aside and looked at whatever was non-Hyuna. I was so pathetic, chasing after him like a lost puppy. I did know how pitiful i was but i just couldn't help it. My heart was feeble...

"Hyuna, what are you watching?" I jump out of my skin when i hear a voice coming from behind my back.