4

Loving You A Thousand Times

The wrinkles on Mr. Park’s face never left as he shook his head. His eyes are focused on Dara.

“What is the meaning of this, Dara? Why is this happening? Explain to me, please!” Mr. Park’s shrilling voice filled the room.

Dara gulped as she fidgets in front of Mr. Park.

“Uncle Jaesang promised he will settle it in this week,” Dara explained in a voice barely audible.

“I can’t hear you, Dara. What more promise that that Jaesang made again?” Mr. Park furiously asked.

His face has turned red in fury as his eyes glared directly in his daughter’s eyes making her feel uneasy.

“Appa... This time I... I promise, Uncle Jaesang will pay back the money he loaned from us,” replied Dara quietly.

Mr. Park snorted as he leaned back on the chair.

“Promise? Which promise of that uncle of yours has he fulfilled?” asked Mr. Park sharply.

“But appa...” Mr. Park cut in Dara’s word.

“Why are you so stubborn? You never ever listen to me! How can you believe those outsiders and put me aside?”

“But, Uncle Jaesang is not just a stranger, appa. He is Jaejoong’s father, my fiance’s father,” Dara replied defending herself.

“He doesn’t have any relation to us yet!” Mr. Park protested.

“He maybe have nothing to do with you. But as long as my mom is Jung Dahae, I will always treat him like a dear uncle to me. I know that mom is dead to your eyes, appa but not in my heart. No one can ever replace mom especially that maid!” her tone pitched up.

“Sandara, don’t you dare talk like that about your mother. She is my legal wife right now and that makes her your mother. Have some respect for her!” Mr. Park said in a calm voice with the hope her daughter would calm down.

“You abandoned mom for that useless maid! And how dare you ask me to respect that woman?” Dara yelled again.

“That’s enough!” Mr. Park coughed and slowly rubbed his chest.

Automatically, Dara’s rage disappeared as she went to check on her father.

“Appa, are you okay?” worries clearly formed in her face.

Mr. Park remained silence and sighed.

“I’m sorry, appa. I shouldn’t have taken out the company’s money when you were admitted to the hospital. But I have my reasons. Jaejoong’s company is in deep trouble at that time, that’s why Uncled Jaesang requested for my help. I called Jaejoong earlier, he said he really will pay back the money this week. Is it wrong for me to help my future husband, appa?” asked Dara quietly.

Mr. Park sighed audibly.

“It’s not wrong to help them if you used your own savings, Dara. But you have used the client’s money. As a qualified lawyer, you know that it is wrong. Do you know, if we aren’t able to pay back the 27 billion Won next week, our client can lodge a report to the Bar Council and in any time, our firm will be closed. Our license will be suspended by the Bar Council since we are partners.”

“Besides that, we will be bankrupt since I don’t have that much money to pay back, Dara,” Mr. Park shook his head weakly.

“You do know that after I’m admitted to the hospital, our company has been running slow? We are in enough debt right now but you go and add up another burden to our company. Why don’t you ever listen to me, Dara?”

Even though Mr. Park’s voice is soft, but it’s still venomous, making her furious.

“Dara... Dara...”

The knock on the door wakes her from her revery of the incident from that evening. The voice of the woman she loathed the most makes her even more furious.

“What the hell is wrong with her again?! I can’t even find peace for a second,” Dara grumbled as she make her way to the door.

Mrs. Park who was just about to knock again, break her intention when the door squeaked open. She smiled as she saw her step-daughter’s face from behind the door.

“What do you want from me?” Dara asked sharply.

Mrs. Park calmly replied, “Appa called you down for dinner. Mr. Kwon and your friends are here as well. They all are waiting you downstairs.” she smiled sweetly.

Her ears burned as she hear the phrase ‘your friends’.

“They are not my friends, okay? All of them is appa’s friends. You seriously think I would befriend with such people like... your kind?!” snarled Dara furiously but she kept her voice low so they won’t hear her.

Mrs. Park shook her head. “Okay, then. Maybe you’re a bit tired. I’ll tell your appa that you want to rest.”

“Are you freaking deaf? What the hell are you talking about? Whatever!” she slammed the door in her face.

Mrs. Park closed her eyes and took a deep breath searching for strength. Slowly, her fingers wiped away the tears running down her face. It’s not the first Dara is behaving like this towards her, it’s almost like a routine everyday.

Ever since she married Mr. Park 11 years ago, Dara’s attitude towards her changed drastically. Dara used to love her so much as she’s the one that take care of her since she was a baby. Her mother is always too busy to look after her so she is extremely close with Mrs. Park. But ever since she became Dara’s step-mother, Dara became rude towards her when they’re alone.

Dara wouldn’t dare to blurt all the harsh words to her in front of Mr. Park but she can see the hate burning in her eyes every time their eyes met.

She took another breath and walked downstairs to bumped into someone.

“Jiyong,” Mrs. Park quickly erase the mark of tears. “Let’s go eat now, okay?” she smiled bitterly.

“Dara is not eating with us?” Jiyong’s eyes trailed upstairs where he heard the slamming of the door.

“She is not feeling really well so I asked her to rest for a bit,” Mrs. Park controlled her feelings as she recalled the incident earlier.

Jiyong nodded and smiled bitterly. They walked to the dining room together.