Two Letters

I Can't Step Back On This Endless Path

 

It's been a couple of weeks, I've spent my time reading Himchan's books, there are some you can tell he's read more than others due to broken margins, those are the books I enjoy the most... I dont know why. 
 
He also has a habit of drawing what he thinks the scenes would look like around the margins and on empty spaces. It was weird, with books you can let your imagination run wild because you only get the written detail... unlike a picture where everything there is you can see, so seeing another persons point of view and how they think it is, is rather funny. 
 
"Mina! Let's go into town, I want to buy some ingredients for this weeks dinners." I hear Imo call. 
 
I walk back to the house, and take a look at my frail mother. "Omma you need to start eating properly." I sit next to her and put my recent book on the table beside us. "When dad comes back he wont be happy that your like this, oppa too."
 
"Yongguk, wont-" 
 
I look at her with suspicious eyes. "Wont what?"
 
"Your father, he sent a telegram last week- after a certain period of time MIA becomes Deceased." She barely manages to say. 
 
I feel a stab to my heart and I have to stand up and move away from her. "Have they found his body?" I ask. 
 
She shakes her head. "No, but-"
 
"Then he's not dead yet." I cut her off. "Imo!" I call towards the kitchen where I know shes stood trying not to listen to our conversation. "Let's go into town now."
 
She comes forward with a cautious face and says slowly. "Okay, let's go."
 
We start walking down the quiet contry lane, I can smell the sunflowers from the fields beside us. "Imo, do you think my oppa is dead?" 
 
"I dont think so." She says confidently. "If he was, he would let you have the peace of mind and died in an open place where people could see him." 
 
I laugh slightly. "He was always worried about everyone else, he was too kind to me. I was a bad little sister." I feel a tear slowly run down my cheek and I know I've finally given in... "I never did anything for him."
 
"Don't be silly, I'm sure he just needed you to be yourself. People who do everything for others don't need it done for themselves." She puts a hand on my head and pats gently. "Now, what food should we buy?" She asks smiling. 
 
I think about it for a second. "Chicken!" 
 
"You really like Chicken, just like our maknae Daehyun- but then he likes all food." We laugh as we continue our walk. 
 
.....
 
In the small stalls I look around for some chicken and soon we're faced with a large already plucked chicken, it's legs are thick and his chest broad. "Perfect we'll take it." Imo says pointing to it and pulling out her little purse. 
 
As she's paying I notice a little red school house, I become intrueged and wonder towards it- and inside. I see a small class, of about six/seven people, sat around tables and smiling. There were mainly girls but a couple boys too, which surprized me. "Omo, who are you?" The teacher says as he notices me from the blackboard.
 
I bow and immediately apologise. "Sorry, I'm a refugee here, I dont really know the area."
 
"Dont be sorry. We have room if you want to join..." He smiles softly towards me. "Our class has dramatically lost students recently, we would love for some new ones."
 
I shake my head. "Sorry I wouldnt be able to support the tuition."
 
"Dont be silly, what school makes you pay to learn?" He says looking confused. 
 
I look around the classroom and noticed they're all staring at me. "Everyone in Incheon?" I reply. 
 
"Oh here you are Mina, do you like school? I can enroll you if you want, how many days are you open?" She askes the teacher. 
 
He smiles and answers. "Four." 
 
"Your only here four days a week?" I ask completely confused as we used to go to school six days in Incheon. 
 
He nods. "Why dont tell me aswell as paying for your learning you were also there everyday?"
 
I shake my head. "Six." 
 
The students all shake their head as if they dont believe me. 
 
"It's true." I say looking at them.
 
The teacher gives Imo a form. "We just need a couple details and a sign from a guardian." He says.
 
Imo looks towards me. "Would you like to?"
 
I nod. "Of course I love school, but I think I should talk to my Omma first since she's-"
 
"We'll head straight home now, I've got enough food for the week now!" She says holding up lots of bagged items. She gestures for me to hold some and I do. "Well I'm sure you'll see Mina soon." She says goodbye to the teacher. 
 
We leave and I'm left in awe, they dont pay tuition, only go four days, what's next? 
 
As we reach the street Imo's caught by an old man and soon I realise he delivers post. She thanks him and takes the letter. 'Oh it's from the boys.' 
 
For a second I've gained some interest and I peek over her shoulder as she opens the letter. 
 
'Oh there's another in here, two letters... this ones addressed to you Mina!' She says handing me the piece of paper. 'Maybe Himchan decided to write you formal permission for his books.' She laughs. 
 
I smile back at her and shrug- 'possibly?' I say looking at the piece of paper that has a tear in the top left side. 
 
I wait until we reach home to open it and look at its contents. 
 
To. Mina
 
Nice to meet you. 
I'm glad to know my books arent just sat rotting, of course you can read them. I wouldnt stop anybody from reading as it's the one thing I truly love in life, and hope others can love it as much as I do. 
I'm thankful towards you. 
That sounds silly... because I'm thankful your with my mother and she's not all alone fighting her mental war. I know it must be hard for you leaving an old home and what not. 
 
From. Himchan
 
I looked at the letter and smiled a little, then I placed it in my pillowcase. 'The official acceptance that I can read these books.' 
 
I go downstairs and see Imo preparing food. 'There's a paper and pen on the table there, go ahead and write your reply. We'll put it in my letter and send it off tomorrow. When we put in your form for school.' She holds up the permission form with my Omma's signature on it. 
 
'You convinced her to sign?' I said looking at it and smiling brightly. 
 
She nodded. 'Of course.' Then she pointed to the table. 'Write your reply then, not much time left. 
 
So I do...
 
To. Himchan
 
It's hard, but not leaving my home. My father and oppa are fighting along side you, well my father is. My oppa is MIA. 
I was selfish to only care that I lost my possesions back in Incheon... 
Your books are helping me take my mind off of it. For that, I'm more than thankful to you. You are fighting for our country and saving me at the same time through your books. 
Thank you. 
 
From. Mina
 
So it sounds simple and short but I feel like a weight had been lifted... and I liked that.
 
Todays random B.A.P video~~~