The First Letter

I Can't Step Back On This Endless Path

 

I walk down the stairs and see Imo(Mrs Kim, who requested I called her that for the remainder of my stay) sat on the sofa reading a rather dirty looking peice of paper with a big smile on her face. 
 
I sit beside her and notice the top part read 'To Omeoni,' I quickly looked away... "That looks like an old letter Mrs. Kim." 
 
She shakes her head. "It arrived today, it's from Himchan."
 
My eyes widen. "They let you communicate through letters?"
 
"Yes, they said we can get up to 2 a month, but it's early days and it depends on- well the situation and what not." She says closing the letter up, rising to her feet to grab some stationary to reply. 
 
I stand up so she can have this moment to herself whilst I ate my breakfast, once I was finished with the small meal I picked an old tatty looking book of Himchan's bookcase and went out to the back garden, I didnt have much time explore the place yesterday- but I thought I'd take this opportunity to find a place where I could sit in peace and read. Then I noticed the forest at the end of the large field, there was a small collection of large rocks near the entrance, I headed towards them and inspected the book I picked up, it had a brown cover that was thick like leather. I took a seat on one of the large rocks and opened to the first page... and I was indulged into the world of Joseon Dynasty, it was a fictional book about a prince and a peasent who met coincedentally and realised they looked exactly the same... the prince wanted freedom and the peasent wanted to live like a prince so with the help of their faithful servants they swap places and live as each other but only for 8 days. I imagined myself there watching, the autor gave enough description so that I could, right down to the smell of the wind in the late afternoon... I looked up from the book and noticed the sky was darkening, just how much did I read?! I stood up and turned to see Imo stood looking at me. 
 
"You're just like him..." she said with tears in her eyes. 
 
I look away from her, this is the first time she's seemed so- weak. "Sorry, I must have worried you being out for so long, I must've missed a meal aswell..." I bow to her apologeticly. 
 
"No, it's fine... when we couldnt find you for lunch I came here and noticed you reading, actually I-" She stopped and I noticed she had some bread rolls in her hands. "I brought them down to you and told your mother you were here, but then... for a moment it was like I was watching Himchan sat on the rock like he used to- when we'd argue, or when he'd have a bad day at school... or even a normal carefree day he would be here reading." She shook her head trying to shake away the tears already escaping to her cheeks. 
 
I take a roll and bite into it. "Did you finish your letter to them?"
 
She shakes her head once more. "I dont think it looks right, I've written it 4 times already, will you help me? You're obviously a clever girl." 
 
I nod and smile. "Imo, can I ask permission to read these books in the letter too... He obviously cherishes his books very much." I ask pointing to the book in my hand as we walk back to the house. 
 
"Of course, you should introduce yourself! That way when he comes home for leave you wont be complete strangers." I think for a second, is she bonkers? Or does she genuinely believe they can just come home on leave when they want to... 
 
I walk inside the house and we sit at the dining table and discus what she could write and how she should write it and slowly the letter takes form.
 
To my most handsome sons Himchan & Daehyun, 
Dont worry about Omma, you know they wont have enough time or effort to target us, we're taking in refugees so our little village must be neutral for the time being. Make sure you eat as much as you can and never think of giving up. Fight for our country and our people! I love you so much, finally Daehyun-ah I know I said I want you to eat, but dont over eat like you do at home... Otherwise you'll become fat! hehe...  
 
Omma x
 
Then it was my turn...
 
To Himchan,
Hi... this may seem a little odd. My name is Mina, Bang Mina. I'm a refugee staying with your mother. I hope this isnt too rude but I would like to ask if I could read your amazing collection of books... and if I'm being honest, I've already read one- without your permission. Sorry. 
 
Bang Mina
 
Done
 
I felt like writing to my oppa, but I know he cant respond-
 
"Good job Mina, he couldnt say no to that~ you even write cute!" Imo smiles at me. 
 
I nod and we make a plan to head into the village tomorrow morning to post it together. 
 
Today Random B.A.P song?
WARRIOR!!