Seperation

Our Husband

What… What did you just say?” Joonmyeon whispered harshly as he couldn’t believe what just came out of Yookyung’s mouth.

Yookyung took a deep breathe before replying, “I’m asking you, with all my heart, to take my baby boy away from me and…” she choked on her words, “… give him the life that I can never afford to,” tears streaming down her eyes, and Yookyung pay no effort to wipe them one bit.

“Yookyung-ah… I…” Joonmyeon inhaled deeply, devastated looking at the broken woman before him, weeping. She knew her intention, to give Hoon a better life. But, is she that much of a self-less person? She’s willing to give up the only reason of her existence? After much contemplation, Joonmyeon softly took a firm grip on Yookyung’s shoulder. “Yookyung-ah, look at me,” he whispered.

Yookyung looked up and into those warm orbs of his. “Yookyung-ah. I know what you are trying to do, but think again. Are you really willing to separate from Hoon?” Joonmyeon calmly asked.

“Yes,” she answered in a second. “Yes, Joonmyeon-ah. Please, do not question my decision for I afraid… I will tremble,” she begged.

Joonmyeon pressed his lips into a thin line before closing his eyes and nodding, “if that’s what you want, then I shall accept Hoon with open hands,” he assured.

“What about you wife?” Yookyung asked.

Joonmyeon withdrew his hands and scratched his head, “I’ll deal with her. She has a kind heart. She’ll accept Hoon,” he smiled.

Kind, smart, rich and beautiful; everything that she is not. That is the kind of woman that Joonmyeon deserved, unlike her. The trash of the society, the scum of the community. She bitterly smiled.

“So, should I pick him up or…”

“Pick him up, but I’m coming with you to your house. I want to, at least…” she stuttered, “… drop him off,” she finished.

Joonmyeon patted her shoulder, “okay. When?”

“Tomorrow,” she quickly said.

“Yokyung-ah, don’t you think…”

“Tomorrow, I said. Please, Joonmyeon. Promise me you’ll send him to a good school, give him proper food, take him out to play and…” her eyes watered, “… give him everything that this incompetent mother of his couldn’t…” she started crying, “… just make him happy,” she whispered one last time.

~

 

“Mom, where are we going?” Hoon asked curiously as he witness his mother packing his stuffs into a duffel bag.

“You…” she put his shirt inside, “… are going on a trip with nice uncle,” she forced a smile at her son, who was kneeling on the bed, trying to comprehend the situation.

“Only me?” he asked.

“Yes, of course. You have to have fun! Mommy needs to earn money, doesn’t she?” she playfully tapped on his nose.

“But, mommy needs vacation, too. Mommy had been so tired,” he sadly looked at his mom.

Yookyung smiled gratefully at her son and her eyes almost watered before she harshly wiped them out. “No, mommy is not tired! I need to earn money so that Hoon can be happier,” she nodded her head, again, her eyes watered.

“But, Hoon is happy,” he quickly said, his pair of puppy eyes staring at his mom.

Yookyung stopped folding the shirt before dropping it and dashed to her son, taking him into her arms with no intention of letting him go. A bone-crushing hug, that’s what it was.

“Hoon, promise me that no matter what happen, you will stay as pure and as kind, ok?” she whispered, her voice quivered.

“Yes, mommy,” Hoon replied, despite being utterly confused about the situation.

~

“Nice uncle!” Hoon gleefully run into Joonmyeon’s arms the minute he stepped into the room.

“Hey, Hoon-ie,” he welcome the little boy, crouching down before giving the little creature a very tight hug.

“Where are we going? And why is mommy not coming with us?” he quickly asked.

Joonmyeon was taken back by the questions and looked up to Yookyung who had been monitoring the situation while trying her best not to break down then and there. She gave a nod, trusting him to handle the situation.

“We…” he started, still crouching down, “… are going to spend some nights in my place. You and I, we are going to have so much fun,” he kissed the little cheek before taking him into his arms and stood up.

“Some nights? How many nights?” he asked again.

Before Joonmyeon even began to try and fix the situation, Yookyung quickly took the bag and ushered both of them out, “come on, we don’t want to be late, do we?” she, again, forced a smile.

After locking the room, they all entered the car and Joonmyeon quickly turn on the radio. Minho’s favorite nursery rhymes were playing. Hoon sat back and dangled his feet while quietly singing along to the songs. Yookyung couldn’t bear to look at any of them and resorted on looking outside the window, chin resting against her palm.

“dunggeun haega tteosseumnida jarieseo ireonaseo~” Hoon quietly mumbled along with the song.

Listening to her baby’s voice was the end of her. Yookyung’s shoulder began to shake violently as whimpering sound began to come out. Joonmyeon looked to his side and softened. He slowly increased the radio sound.

Yookyung slowly looked to her side and found Joonmyeon concentrating on the road. She understood Joonmyeon’s gesture and appreciated it. She whispered thank you and looked back outside the window, slowly letting out her whimpers, which were immediately drowned by the sound of the, ironically, cheerful nursery rhymes.

~

“Woah… uncle, your house is so big,” that was Hoon’s first impression while he gazed outside the window, astounded by the size of the house.

Joonmyeon just smiled while Yookyung grimaced. ‘It’s OK, Hoon-ah. This shall be yours from now on,’ she said inside her mind.

After Joonmyeon parked the car outside the door, he turned off the engine and got off before opening the back seat and helped Hoon down. Yookyung slowly went out of the car. Hoon quickly ran to his mother and slipped his hand into hers. She looked down to their intertwined hands and slowly let go. Hoon was utterly confused. Feeling unwelcomed, he resorted on taking Joonmyeon’s hand instead, which confused the man, but he welcome it, anyway.

Yookyung bitterly smiled before putting her hands into the pocket of her jeans, a gesture of breaking off any possible connection between her and Hoon.

“So…” she started, “… you will be spending the nights here, Hoon-ah,” she smiled.

“When will you come and pick me up,” the boy asked. Joonmyeon looked down at the boy before looking up at Yookyung, who looked very troubled.

“Ok, then. I guess, I should be going now,” she refused to give any empty promise to her boy and changed the subject.

“Mom…”

“Bye, I’ll see you when I see you,” she said before quickly turning her back and marched to the gate. He cheeks felt cold as the streaming tears hit the wind.

“Mom. Mommy. MOMMY!” Hoon struggled against Joonmyeon once he realized the situation. His mom is leaving him, not even giving him one last hug. His mom dumped him. His mom doesn’t want him. “MOMMY DO YOU HATE ME? I’M SORRY. MOMMY!” he screamed his lungs out.

Joonmyeon dropped the bag and quickly hugged Hoon tightly, preventing him from running to his mom.

Yookyung quickly marched, drowning the voice of her baby by humming all sorts of tones. Yet, the tears kept on coming. No matter how many times she wiped them, it still kept on streaming down her face.

“Mommy…” Hoon choked, “… don’t leave me. I’m sorry,” he whispered before burying his head into Joonmyeon’s shoulder.

“Mommy’s sorry, Hoon-ah. But you shall have a better life here,” Yookyung whispered once she’s out of the gate and began running.