The Almost Perfect Date

Love Through A Circle

Whoaaa… 3 years since I’ve been active and posting. Hello all, I’m super sorry about this late upload. I had to find my passion to write again and in the past, I have underwent a bad relationship but it was because of that I found the passion and spark to continue. I don’t want to leave you guys hanging. I hope this chapter makes up for it. I hope to be consistent with uploading. Enjoy!

 

 “I just don’t understand what’s so great about pink!”

 “How can you not?! It’s the cutest color in the world, it sticks out, and it looks good with anything!”

“Pink and yellow don’t look that great together….”

 “You must not like Spongebob and Patrick!”

 “What! I take that back…”

 Tiffany laughs as she cheers in victory over the useless banter she had with her boyfriend. It was their 8 month anniversary and they were video calling like usual, talking about random things and teasing each other. Tiffany had just shown Taeng a pink shirt she recently bought which made him question why she liked that bright color so much.

Upon dating Tiffany, Taeng noticed how much she adored pink. Adored is an understatement, how much she was OBSESSED with pink. Everything in her possession was pink. Pink clothes, pink nails, pink cell phone case, even the interior of her car was pink. He couldn’t understand how she wasn’t sick of seeing the same color every day.

 “Doesn’t that top look exactly the same as the other one you showed me?” He asked with a concerning tone.

Tiffany’s expression shifts in exasperation.

“No!” She exclaims before dashing off to her closet to pull out the shirt Taeng was describing.

She displays both tops to Taeng and looks at him with serious eyes.

 “This top,” She gestures from her left arm, “has a ruffled collar and this,” gesturing the right, “Has buttons.”

Taeng’s face was still in confusion as his eyes looked lost and dazed.

“But… they’re the same color right?” He asked dumbfounded, still not understanding what has Tiffany so excited.

 His girlfriend sighs on the screen and shakes her head as she sets the two tops down across her bed, “Boys will never understand the fashion struggle we girls have to go through.”

Taeng chuckles, “Hey… I go through fashion struggles…. I think.”

The dark-haired girl laughs, “I doubt it! You look good in every single outfit you wear.”

The dorky boy pulls off a cheeky grin, “Thanks, babe. I have to impress you somehow.”

 “You impress me with everything you do,” She cooed with a sincere smile.

 Taeng smiles and sighs of happiness, “Happy 8 months my Miyong-ah.”

“Happy 8 months my dork,” She replied, returning her heart-killer eye smile.

“Isn’t it crazy to think we’ve been together for 8 months now?” He asked with happiness in his tone.

 “It is! I feel like we’ve been together longer,” She replied, flashbacks of the times they would call each other before they started dating and not realizing the deep feelings they had for each other.

“Me too. You must be pretty sick of me,” Taeng joked, shooting his girlfriend a sly smile.

 “How did you know? I’m so sick of you I could throw up,” Tiffany teased as she chuckles.

The latter escapes a dramatic gasp and clasps his heart, “My heart. I think it’s broken.”

The brunette girl lets out a laugh, “Oh no, that’s not good. What can I do to fix it?”

 Taeng scrunches his face as if he was intently thinking which made his girlfriend laugh even more at the seriousness of his expression.

“You can blow me a kiss,” He said with a dorky smile.

Tiffany laughs, “That I can do.”

 She rubs her hands together as if she was warming up, causing the two to laugh, she kisses her hand softly before gently blowing the soft kiss against the computer screen. Taeng smiled as he lifts his hand and closes it into a fist.

“I caught it,” He said with a sincere smile, “You put a lot more feeling in this than the other ones.”

 “I was hoping you would feel that,” She said cheerfully.

He smiled before looking at the corner of his computer screen, “Oh. I didn’t realize the time… Do you have to go soon?”

Tiffany too gazes at the time and it was close to approaching the time she had to be on her way to her first class.

 “Oh, I didn’t realize it too. I have to leave soon…” She said sadly, her eyes gazing down on her keyboard.

Taeng smiles, “Hey don’t be sad. You promised we would call tonight right? The day will pass by before you know it.”

Tiffany looks up into the onyx orbs she’ll never get tired of seeing and sends a hopeful smile, “You’re right. I won’t break our promise. After all, it is our 8 month anniversary, I wouldn’t miss our call for the world.”

Taeng softly chuckles, “Have a good day okay? I’ll miss you but I can’t wait to talk with you soon.”

He inches his face closer to the screen, puckers his lips, and sends his girlfriend a sweet kiss. “Muah,” He hums as he sends the gesture.

Tiffany smiles and repeats the same action. Her head only centimeters from the webcam. “Muah,” She imitated, “You sleep well okay? Take a good rest.”

“Thanks, Miyoung-ah, talk to you soon,” The blonde boy cooed with a smile that could sweep Tiffany off her feet.

“Talk to you soon,” She replied, before sending another blow kiss and logging off.

Taeng closes his laptop with a smile on his face, he sets aside his laptop on the side of his bed before crawling under the sheets. He stares at the ceiling with a grin on his face.

“It’s going to be perfect,” he said to himself before drifting off into slumber with Tiffany on his mind.

 

“And that’s all for today's class, no assignment today but make sure to catch up on the reading if you haven’t,” Professor Brand said as he sets the marker down.

 Tiffany gathers her things and exits the classroom, immediately scanning the busy campus in search of her best friend. She makes her way through the campus, her eyes set on only one target.

“Tiff!” Jessica waves from the end of the hall.

Tiffany quickly spots her blonde friend and makes her way over to her.

“Hey, you ready to go home?” Tiffany said with a chirp in her voice.

She had been thinking of Taeng all day and was more than excited to call him as soon as she could. She knew Taeng had his class in the morning but she appreciated he took the time to call especially since it’s their monthiversary.

“Someone is excited to get home,” Jessica teased with a sing-song tone.

“Of course, I mean…. I’ve been with Taeng for 8 months now. I, I just can’t believe we’ve been together this long. Especially since we’re thousands of miles away from each other,” Tiffany drifted with a smile on her face, “I thought long-distance relationships were hard but knowing he’s mine and that our feelings for each other are just growing stronger each day,” She dreamily sighs, “I’m just…. Finally happy.”

Jessica smiles seeing her best friend reach the level of happiness she knows she deserved. When Jessica told Tiffany about her and Yul’s relationship, Tiffany supported her through thick and thin and showered her with love. Now that Tiffany is on the same boat as her, she wants her to feel the same way her best friend did for her.

She gently touches Tiffany’s arm, “I’m so happy for you Tiff. I can tell that you’re truly happy with him and I want you to know I’m fully supporting your relationship.”

 Tiffany smiles and hugs her friend dearly, “I know. Thank you.”

Jessica softly chuckles, “But if he hurts you, just know he might not be alive the next day.”

The two friends laugh before linking their arms and making their way to Jessica’s car. As they drive home, they reminiscence on the times before Taeng and Tiffany started dating and all the times they would video call as a group.

Time has certainly passed between the four and the longer they were away from each other, they all had the same thought and feeling. They craved to see each other.

 As Jessica pulls up onto the driveway of their apartment, she quickly takes out her phone and sends a message.

Tiffany her head, “Are you texting Yul?”

 The blonde latter nods, “Yeah, I want to call with him tonight.”

 The dark-haired girl smiles, she exits the car and heads inside the apartment. Immediately, she pulls out her phone from her purse and texts Taeng that she arrived home. She makes her way to the kitchen towards the fridge and pulls out a water bottle. She quickly returns to her room and pulls out her laptop from her backpack and places it on the bed. Tiffany changes into her home clothes and plops on the bed. Her phone vibrates and she checks her boyfriend’s reply that he’s ready to call. She logs onto the video call application and sees her dork of a boyfriend online.

 Before she had the chance to press call, a screen pops up with Taeng’s face. She was surprised at how quickly he was to call her but without hesitation, she immediately presses accept. She lies down on her bed, placing a pillow underneath her chest as she waits for Taeng’s screen to load. She looks down to adjust herself thinking it would be a while for her boyfriend to properly load on her computer screen.

“Hey, beautiful.”

 She quickly looks up and sees Taeng with a smile on his face and a guitar resting against his body. Tiffany’s eyes widen seeing her boyfriend dressed up. She didn’t understand what exactly was happening.

 “W-what’s… What’s all this?” She asked breathlessly.

Taeng chuckles, “Well… We’ve been together for 8 months now, right? And we’ve never had our proper ‘first date.’ And I thought, ‘I don’t care that my girlfriend is thousands of miles away from me, we can still have the best date ever.’ So I thought, let’s go on a date. I have a movie ready for us to stream and watch together and….” He trailed as his smile grew bigger.

 “A-and…?”

 Before Taeng had the chance to continue, she hears a knock on her door. She jumps in shock and gazes at the door before gazing back at Taeng.

 “Go answer it,” He said calmly, with the same smile.

 Tiffany, still shocked, slowly gets up from the bed and makes her way to her door. She slowly opens it and sees Jessica holding red roses with a package resting on the floor in front of her feet. The dark-haired girl gasps in shock seeing the items in front of her and was speechless; unsure of what to do.

Jessica laughs, “Are you just going to stand there? Take your gifts.”

She hands the shocked latter the red roses before picking up the package and placing it on her bed.

“You’re welcome Taeng,” Jessica proudly, waving at the screen.

 “I owe you Jessica,” Taeng’s voice projects from Tiffany’s laptop.

 “Please, what you already sent me was enough. Thank you,” She replied happily before making her way to Tiffany’s door.

“Enjoy,” The blonde girl hummed before closing the door.

Tiffany remained silent, she felt heat rush to her cheeks as she slowly returned to her bed with the flowers in her hand.

Taeng chuckles, “Surprised?”

Tiffany snaps out of her daze, gazing at the flowers and the package before returning to Taeng.

“How did you….” She softly asked, her heart starting to beat faster.

Taeng scratches the back of his head, “Well… I wanted this to be special. I mean, all of our other anniversaries have been special to me but I wanted to show you that these past 8 months of being your boyfriend and this past year of being your friend made a big impact on my life. I… believe you were brought to me for a reason and I’m so thankful that we are on this journey together. I just wanted to show you how much I care about you even though we’re miles apart.”

Tears brim at the edge of Tiffany’s eyes, she softly sniffles before wiping the almost tears with the back of her hand.

“Taeng… I, I can’t believe this. No one has ever done something this sweet for me. I’m….” More tears fell but she looks at her boyfriend with her genuine smile, “I’m so happy you’re mine. You’ve given me so much happiness that I can’t thank you enough. You did all this for me?”

“I would do anything just to see you smile,” He replied coolly with his dorky smile.

Tiffany softly laughs as she gazes at the flowers in her hand, she picks up the small note that was placed with the flowers and reads it out loud.

 “To my beautiful Miyoung-ah, 8 months with you have been the most wonderful adventure I have been on. Despite our distance, I can always feel you in my heart and because of that, I know you’re here with me. Happy 8 months my perfect girlfriend.”

Taeng smiles as he watches his girlfriend adoringly.

 “Open the package,” He encouraged softly.

 “When did you send this?” She asked before softly placing the flowers on her bed and adjusting her body to face the box.

“Maybe last week? I asked Jessica for your address so I can send a package to you. I’ve been wanting to send you stuff but I wanted to wait for the perfect moment.”

 Tiffany chuckles as she removed the tape from the box and lifting the lids slowly. She gasps seeing at the many things placed inside the box.

“Taeng….” She softly said.

 Inside the box contained a stuffed teddy bear, a pink purse, Korean snacks, and a rather oversized sweater. She picks up the items one by one and places them on the bed in front of her so Taeng can see.

“Do you like them?” He asked with a hopeful tone.

“I…. I love them. Taeng, I still can’t believe this,” Tiffany said breathlessly, still gazing at the items placed before her.

Taeng chuckles, “I’m glad to hear that. It took me weeks to decide what to get you.”

“You got me my favorite Korean snacks…”

“Of course, you told me you were missing them when we called awhile ago.” He then points to the purse, “And that purse? Remember when you got mad at Jessica because you told me she was showing you pictures of pink purses that you liked? She was only doing that because I wanted to make sure you liked it.”

Tiffany smiles before bursting into laughter, “Are you serious? I was seriously so mad at her! Because she told me countless times how much she hates pink then when she was suddenly obsessing over it I thought she was just making fun of me.”

 Taeng laughs along with her, “She is quite an actress.”

 “She is.”

The blonde hair boy clears his throat before pointing at the article of clothing resting on Tiffany’s lap.

“And that sweatshirt is uhm….” Tiffany looks at him, “Is….?”

 “My favorite sweatshirt,” He finished with a sweet smile on his face.

Tiffany felt her heart burst out of her as she looks at the fabric on her laps. She gently picks it up and without hesitating, she hugs it tightly. A slight aroma whiffs in her nose and she takes another breath. At that moment, she couldn’t help the tears fall on her face.

Taeng’s eyes widen, “Are you okay? You don’t like it?”

Tiffany quickly shakes her head as more tears fall, “No! Of course not, I love it. It’s just that….” She embraces the sweatshirt and a tinge of red appear on her cheeks, “It has a smell…. A smell that I think is yours and it makes me feel like you’re here with me physically. It smells sweet…. It smells like you.”

Taeng sighs of relief and sends a small smile, “I’m always here with you but I sent you my favorite sweatshirt for that exact reason. If there are times we can’t call and you’re sad, I want you to know that I’m still here with you even if you can’t see me.”

“Thank you Taeng… You’re the sweetest,” Tiffany said with her famous eye smile that sweeps Taeng off his feet.

He returns a smile and adjusts his guitar, “Now my lovely Miyoung-ah…” He begins to strum his guitar softly, “About that date.”

Despite it being early in the morning for Taeng, he made the time and effort to make their date memorable. He woke up much earlier than usual to ensure they had enough time to watch the movie he picked together. As the date went by, Tiffany’s heart felt as if it would explode from all the sweetness and care Taeng put for her. She swooned as Taeng serenaded her with a song he wrote for her, she laughed as he pretended to feed her through the webcam, and she cried at all the sweet things he was saying to her. As they watched the movie together, she felt as if Taeng was sitting right next to her in her room. She imagined them holding hands, her head resting against his body, and sharing sweet kisses ever so often.

To her, even though her dorky boyfriend wasn’t physically here with her, she could feel he emotionally was and that was enough for her to feel cherished. As the movie ended, Taeng looks straight into his girlfriend’s eyes and smiles.

“So… How was our first date? Be honest,” He said with expectant eyes.

 Tiffany returns a smile and chuckles, “Thank you Taeng. It was a perfect first date.”

 Taeng chuckles along with her, “Well, I would call it the ‘almost’ perfect date.”

Tiffany her head to the side, “Why almost?”

He softly sighs, “It’ll be perfect when you are here with me.”

Tiffany smiles and deeply looks into the onyx’s orbs on her screen.

“Don’t worry my dork,” She chuckles, “Our perfect date will soon come.”