Day 141

Letters to Nobody

Dear nobody,

                A Remember.

                “Oppa, when are we going to hang out again?”

                I am bent over my work. There were documents I needed to sign, proposals I needed to edit and meetings that were lined up until next month. “I’m busy,” I sigh, “You know how busy I am.”

                “Oppa, you didn’t answer my question.”

                “I don’t know, Sunny. I guess next month or something.”

                “That’s so long! It’s already been one month since I’ve seen you.”

                “Well what do you want?” The phone rings beside me. I wait for the person on the other side to hang up but they seem persistant. I pick it up.

                “Yes?”

                “The committee is waiting on your decision, Chairman Kim. They can’t proceed without you. They’ve moved the meeting up to this evening.”

                I shake my head incredulously. Stupid committee. That’s the sixth time they’ve moved that meeting. “Thanks, Hyeshin. I’ll be there.” I put down the phone. I realize that there is a buzz in the room. Static. Right. I was in a call with Sunny. I press the screen of my smartphone and put her on speaker. There is silence.

                “Sunny?” I ask.

                Silence. “Did you hear anything I had just said?”

                A slight twang of guilt catches me but I try to not let it bother me. “Um, sorry. Hyeshin called to tell me I have a meeting tonight.”

                She sighed. “Oppa, are you really so busy?”

                I sigh. “Sunny-ah, I can barely leave my seat. Sorry.”

                “I guess that means you won’t be home for dinner then.”

                “Sorry.”

                The silence continues to linger before I hear her quietly say, “Bye.”

                I rub my face with my palm. I’ve disappointed her; yet again. I inhale through my nose and exhale it all through my mouth. There isn’t time to think of what to do now, I had to go for a lunch meeting with Project Manager Lee. I grab my jacket and rush out the door.

                I Remember feeling extremely tired that night as I take the bus home. I fall asleep and had nearly missed my stop if it wasn’t for the nice bus driver who had called it out. Stumbling onto the sidewalk of our house, I fumble for the keys but to my surprise, I find that the door is already unlocked.