Chapter Six

Pretty Little Liar

 

 

 

 

 "Taemin was my eldest child," Mrs. Lee's voice rang out loudly across the chapel. The emotions in her voice made my heart ache --- meaning, there was none at all. Her posture slumped over the stand along with her face that was void of emotion. "He had a bright future ahead of him. One that would have shaped him into the greatest man he could ever be. There are no words that come to mind that would explain what Taemin meant to me, to his siblings, to his friends....." she paused before continuing, "...all I know is that I may be the luckiest mother in the world, to be able to have raised such a wonderful young man."

 

She said nothing else, and quietly sat back down to her seat. Her hollow footsteps thudded slowly across the mahogany floorboards. The entire room was reeking with pain and sympathy --- sympathy for the poor mother who lost her boy in such a traumatic way.

 

My own mother's arms were around me, her fingers lightly my hair. After my sudden breakdown, I had composed myself enough to maintain a straight face. Stupid, I thought to myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I thought again. Well, I couldn't help it. I have told myself countless times already to never show weakness, especially in such public places like this was.

 

However, I did show weakness. I showed vulnerability. That being said, I could never afford to show vulnerability again. When you're a liar, people crave your vulnerability. They would feed on it like the paparazzi would feed on a celebrity's career. It gave them the power to destroy you. Thankfully though, nobody seemed to have witnessed my humiliation --- except my own mother.

 

Mrs. Choi stood up next, her face shrouded with despair. Even at her own daughter's funeral, she was still wearing a pair of killer heels along with some lacy designer clothing. The shape of her nose looked quite different, as if she had gotten some work done to it, at the time of the chances of her precious daughter being alive was getting slimmer and slimmer.

 

Unbelievable.

 

She reached the stand before delicately clearing . "I loved my little Jinri so much," her voice cracked. Something about the way she exaggerated the pain in her face and voice made me reconsider just how heartbroken she was. "She was such a beautiful, bright person. She made me proud to be her mother and I'm going to miss her.....very much...." she croaked before breaking down in tears, hysterically sobbing into her hands.

 

Everybody suddenly broke out in hushed whispers, their sympathy magnifying. Somebody carefully walked Choi Hyera back to where she was seated, while I was frozen in my seat.

 

You see, as a gifted liar, not only could I bull like a pro, but I could also spot bull from a mile away. My now dried-up eyes trained themselves onto Hyera, with one thought screaming itself into my brain: Liar.

 

The rest of the ceremony passed by in a similar fashion. Parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins, uncles and aunts all stood up one by one, expressing their grief onto the crowd. Real, completely non-faked grief I must say.

 

I barely paid attention to any of it, though. My eyes refused to leave Hyera, their pupils studying every move she made. While everybody else was focused on who was up at the stand, the miserable, washed-out look Sulli's mother wore disappeared. She would sit back and watch the show, her face completely black and guarded. No one else seemed to notice the difference, but I sure did.

 

Seems like I'm not the only gifted liar in the room.

 

I had been so absorbed in studying every twitch Hyera made, that I didn't even realize that the memorial was already over. Almost in unison, everyone stood up as they started to talk in their respective little own circles. My mother patted my shoulder, and I quickly snapped out of my daze. She gave me a look of curiosity, but we both just stood up without a word.

 

It was then that the people around us seemed to notice our presence. Gasps were thrown all over the place, and the horrified and disgusted looks we were given were almost funny. . I had completely forgotten that I was the 'murderer'.

 

"Come on, Krystal. Let's go." my mother said, quickly taking a hold of my hand as she tried to make the way for the door. I stood where I was, looking at everybody in the eye. The whispers broke out into distressed murmurs, and soon enough, almost everybody in the huge place was already looking on me.

 

I put on a brave face, but inside, my heart was pounding. "I need to do something first." I murmured to my mother before quietly pushing through the crowd. Glares and vicious insults surrounded me as I made my way towards to the front of the church.

 

"That's the murderer."

 

"What the is she doing here?"

 

"How dare that little come to this memorial?!"

 

"She should be locked up, they're letting a killer loose..!!"

 

On my way, I suddenly met Kai's eye. I didn't do it, I mouthed at him, but he didn't respond.

 

I headed towards Mrs. Lee, and I could practically feel the burn of gazes all over my body. I took a deep breath and tapped her shoulder. After my actions, she sharply turned around, and I faltered. She didn't glare. She didn't shout. She didn't even try to rip my hair off, which was quite a surprise on my part. Her gaze was just as blank and monotone as a piece of paper.

 

"You're the Jung girl," was all she said. "What do you want?"

 

I hesitated, because the outraged glares and cries I got from Taemin's relatives made me want to cower. Lee Minah ignored the noises, staring directly at me. The loss of her son seemed to have away her humanity. She was merely a robot now.

 

"I...I didn't do it..." was all I said.

 

Her face remained the same. "I know you didn't...." she paused to look at me deeply before continuing, "....and I know who did."

 

 

 

.