Behind The Smiles

With A Smile

      "He hired me to clean his house," Taeyeon thought aloud. "..when there's not even a dust to be seen!" She still tried to clean the house although it is already clean. She wiped and clean everything from the ceiling to the furnitures to the floor, everything's clean but she clean them again anyway. It then struck her. Why isn't there a picture of his family here? Just.. pictures of him and Prof. Jang, his guardian. There's pictures of him with Yunho and Changmin, but none with his real family. She went out to clean the garden when Prof. Jang went to the gate and opened it. A women entered. She's a bit old but still pretty and elegant. Prof. Jang turned to Taeyeon, "Can you call Jaejoong, please?"

      "Ne." Taeyeon replied then run inside the house. "Jaejoong ah!" She yelled as she run towards the stairs to get Jaejoong out from his room but she came into a halt when she saw him sitting on the stairs, he seems to be waiting for someone. "Jaejoong ah?"

      "Yeah baby, I know she's here," Jaejoong replied and gave her a weak smile. The woman entered the house without Prof. Jang. She looked around like she's inspecting the place and Jaejoong just sat on the stairs saying nothing. 

      "And you are?" The woman asked Taeyeon.

      "My girl." Jaejoong replied for her. She then looked at Taeyeon from head to toe and back to her head again. It is as if she is inspecting her as well.

      "You are letting your girl clean your house?" The woman told Jaejoong. "Is that how you treat women?"

      "I just do it." Taeyeon butted in. Jaejoong lifts his head which has been buried in his palms from the moment that the woman entered the house.

      "Taeyeon ah," Jaejoong started. "She's my step-mother."

      "A-annyeong Haseyo." She then greeted the woman politely. "Kim Taeyeon imnida."

      "Taengoo-ya," Jaejoong said again. "Appa will be cooking lunch for us, why don't you go to the kitchen and help him?"

      "Ne, I will." Taeyeon said then bowed at Jaejoong's stepmother.


       

       Taeyeon run to the kitchen and found Prof. Jang Dong-gun already cutting the vegetables that he'll be using for the meal. He stopped when Taeyeon entered and gave her a questioning look. "Jaejoongie told me that I should help you cook."

      "Oh yeah?" Prof. Jang said. "You should be used to seeing that woman, she comes here every month."

      "Ow.. So that's why Jae seems to be expecting her." Taeyeon replied and picked up a knife to help Prof. Jang.

      "She just come here to insult him..." Prof. Jang sighed. "She's been doing that ever since Jaejoong is able to comprehend."

      "Insult?" Taeyeon asked. "Why does she do that to her step son?"

      "She don't see him like that." Prof. Jang said. "He's illegitimate and see him as another mouth to be fed. It's a good thing they didn't throw him out, they gave him a house to live, clothes to wear, and sent him to school. Although there is no love, atleast they give him his physiological needs."

      "Ahh.." Taeyeon said wondering what words Jaejoong is receiving right now from his step-mother.

      "She think she have every right to insult him, especially when his mother is no longer here.. She pour her anger to him instead." Prof. Jang continued.

      "Don't she get tired of doing that to him? All these time??" Taeyeon said.

      "Hell no," Prof. Jang said.

      "How 'bout his real father?" Taeyeon inquired.

      "He treats him right.. but don't have enough time for him."

      "Any siblings?"

      "One. Kim Hyunjoong." Prof. Jang said. "He used to visit Jaejoong alot but I think his mother forbids him to come here anymore."

      "You are being paid by them to take care of Jaejoong?" Taeyeon inquired and Prof. Jang nodded. "Since when?"

      "Since when his mother died." Prof. Jang. "Right after birth."

      "You have spent your life for him all this time." Taeyeon commented. "I think that's the reason why you're still single until now?"

      "Yah.." He snapped at her. "I may look old to you but I still have those sleek moves toward women, you know." Taeyeon smiled at him. I think I now know where Jaejoong got his womanizing skills.

      "I wonder where those boys are... I mean Changmin and Yunho." Prof. Jang thought aloud. "They should be here."


      

      As soon as Jaejoong's stepmother left, Taeyeon ran to check him. He's still sitting on the stairs, zoned-out. She approached him and he gave her a weak smile. He seems tired. Taeyeon decided to sit beside him. "Are you alright?" He shook his head but then smiled at her.

      "Not so good.." Jaejoong told her. "But much better." He then took Taeyeon's hand. "You've met my stepmother... But you haven't told me anything about your family yet."

      "Family?" Taeyeon inquired. "I only have one left, my brother Kim Kibum."

      "Your parents?" Jaejoong asked.

      "Mom died when I was 10. I wasn't told about the caused of her death but I know she fell ill. My dad who was so desperate to make her better sold all of our properties. Our business, our cars, our house, he sold them all and had a lot of debts here and there." Taeyeon paused. "But then she died even after my dad spent all our fortune to cure her.. Appa died a year after her due to heart attack. We inherited his debts which grew bigger and bigger over time because of the annual interest.. Me and Kibum oppa have to find jobs to pay all the debts in a very young age. We move a lot because the debtors run after us."

       "Where is your brother now?" Jaejoong asked.

       "In Seoul," Taeyeon said. "My brother is a pretty boy, you know, and he has been scouted by an agency and now do minor roles in some dramas. We are able to pay half of our debts because of that."

       "It's good that you still have your brother," Jaejoong said then sighed. "I have no one." He then buried his face on Taeyeon's neck. 

       "Of course you have someone." Taeyeon said while she's playing with Jaejoong's hair. "You have your father, Prof. Jang Dong-gun. You have your brothers, Yunho and Changmin. And you got yourself a sister too, Sunkyu!" She exclaimed. "And once your father found himself a woman who he can love, then you'll have a mother." Jaejoong gave out a small laugh.

       "He has a lot of women," Jaejoong whispered.

       "Like you?" Taeyeon teased.

       "Ani." Jaejoong laughed then whispered, "I just have one."

       "Good. Because if you have two or more.. You'll be dead." Taeyeon warned him and he just laughed. "Stop laughing, I am serious."

       "Ara.. Ara.." Jaejoong said then bit Taeyeon's neck.

       "Awwwwwwww!! Jaejoong-ah! Taeyeon snapped at him but he just stayed at her neck, hiding his face. "Ahhh.. Get up! Let's go and eat, your dad have already prepared the food.."

       "Let's stay like this for a while." Jaejoong whispered. They did. Taeyeon played with his hair once more. She then lifts Jae's head from her neck and cupped his face with her hands. "Gaja." She then stood up and walk towards the dining room. Jaejoong just sat, looking at her.

       "Baby?" Jaejoong called her.

       "Hmmm?" Taeyeon asked turning around to face him.

       "What will you do if I kiss you?" He asked.

       "I'll strangle you to death," Taeyeon replied quickly and he laughed. "Jaejoong ah.." Taeyeon started.

       "Hmmm?"

       "You really smile like an idiot, you know." She said with her poker face and he laughed. "But it is really better to see you smiling because when you do, you look like the most handsome idiot on earth." 

       "Oh yeah?" Jaejoong asked with a weak smile.

       "I'm just kidding." Taeyeon said grinning.      

       "Aishii.." A voice owned by none other than Changmin hissed. "It's so cheesy...." He was standing in the doorway with his hands holding a couple of picture frames. "I told you we are not needed here," he said to Yunho who was behind him.

       "Yo! Taeyeon!" Yunho greeted her. "Is the evil witch gone?" She nodded. "That's good. Jae's usually depressed after her visit so we're taking her somewhere, Is that alright with you?"

       "Of course," Taeyeon replied. "I'm going out with Sunkyu, Hyo and Fany anyways."

       "Ahhh good." He said smiling. He seems to be happy that her sister got herself some friends. "Don't mind Changmin, he just a little frustrated guy who never dated anyone before."

        Changmin who was busy putting a newly framed picture of them on the wall, looked at them and yelled, "I can hear you!" Apparently, Changmin is the one filling Jaejoong's house with pictures. "I just haven't found someone worth dating."

       "You should have a go at Sunny then," Taeyeon suggested.

       "Rabbits are not my type," Changmin replied turning red. "Besides, that girl is rabid."

       "SO.... Why is your face all red then?" She teased and Changmin threw something at her but she luckily avoided it. "You can then go out with Tiffany," Taeyeon told Yunho who was watching Changmin put another framed picture on the wall.

       "Ahhh.. You're pairing us with your friends!" Yunho noticed.

       "I am just doing you a favor," Taeyeon retorted. "It would be better than being stuck with Changmin when Jae's with me."

       Yunho ang Jaejoong laughed. "That's a nice idea, Taengoo-ya," Yunho said. Changmin just made face and thought, I might as well just go with the rabid rabbit then.