Prologue

Constellations (Long hiatus)

 

Daniel touched his inner left thigh and sighed softly. On his thigh was a weird black mark in which Daniel considered a birth mark. It looked oddly strange compared to others though. Daniel couldn't even make out what it was due to its weird shape.All Daniel knows about it is that it sometimes glows white. He doesn't know what it means but he feels strange when it happens. A tingly feeling like when you have love at first sight or when you are eager for something.

Daniel shifted on his bed when he heard the doorknob being twisted. There at the door was the woman, Mrs. Kim, who owned the orphanage. She grinned brightly, despite her age, and gestured for us to come. Daniel stood up and followed her along with the others there. When the woman stopped, we were all face to face with a young couple.

The woman gave them a warm smile, Daniel immediately felt welcomed. Maybe this time he would get adopted. The couple observed each of us carefully. "Do they have talents?" The man asked as he looked at Mrs. Kim. She smiled weakly and nodded then gave the kids all a look. They all knew the routine by now. They all lined up and started showing our talents. Whether it was playing an instrument, drawing, dancing, singing, or something else, they all had something special about them.

Jonghyun was a great dancer, Minsoo could draw and rap really well, Chunji could sing powerfully, and Ricky just looks absolutely out of this world. As for Daniel, he couldn't do much. His dancing could be compared to a three year old's dancing, his drawing skills could not be compared to Minsoo's, his singing was lacking, and he couldn't be pretty even if it would save his life. Daniel was the definition of insufficiency.

Daniel just stared at the couple when it was his turn. He had no idea what he could show off anymore. Usually, he would try to sing but they would always end up picking someone else. Daniel just stood there and waited for Mrs. Kim to signal the next kid to begin. 

"Next." the man said harshly with a snarl at Daniel. Daniel whimpered softly and rushed to be away from the cruel man. He went straight to his room and sat at the old desk the orphanage provided. Daniel frowned upon seeing a violin case; it was slowly collecting dust. Daniel picked it up and stared at the name tag that was attached to it. 

"Lee Byunghun," Daniel whispered as he ghosted his fingers over the name tag. Daniel started tearing up, but roughly wiped the tears away. It had been six years already since he was adopted. Daniel whispered to no one in particular in the vast room. "Did you forget our promise already?"

 

"What's your name?" asked a boy with eye-catching blonde hair. Daniel looked at the boy carefully before replying.

"Daniel. Ahn Daniel," he said while looking back at his puzzle. Daniel felt euphoric when he founded the piece he needed. Without looking back up, Daniel asked. "What about you?"

"I'm Lee Byunghun and I'm twelve years old!" the boy exclaimed loudly. Daniel hissed at Byunghun for being too loud. Byunghun immediately apologized and began to help Daniel with the puzzle. Daniel only shot Byunghun a glare.

"I don't need your help just because you are older!" Daniel yelled at the blonde-haired boy. Byunghun flinched at the sudden outburst from the younger brunette.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to annoy you." Byunghun apologized once more before getting up and going to somewhere else. It was only a few minutes later that Daniel heard a beautiful, alluring melody that was just calling out for him. He abandoned the puzzle and followed the sound. He somehow found his way to a room with the door slightly ajar.

From the crack, Daniel looked at the person who was playing the lovely melody. It had turned out to be Byunghun from before. This only made Daniel frown but not enough to leave from his spot behind the door. Daniel closed his eyes as he got into the rhythm of the song. He started to tap his feet and even attempted to sing along. It was only till he heard that the song had been abruptly stopped that his eyes opened back up. 

Daniel, surprised, fell backwards onto the floor but landing on his behind. At the door was Byunghun with a mirth expression plastered on his face. He opened the door and lent out a hand for Daniel to take. Daniel, being the stubborn kid he was, slapped Byunghun's hand away and got up himself. When Daniel and Byunghun were face-to-face, Daniel could see the slight smirk present on the older's face.

Daniel puffed his cheeks and looked away with his arms crossed. He could tell Byunghun was laughing at Daniel's stupidity even without looking at his face.

"You know, you could of just came in." he said as he opened the door fully and went back to their shared desk. Daniel stole a glance at Byunghun and walked into the room quietly.

"So you're my new roommate," Daniel huffed as he sat on the bottom portion of the bunk bed. "I pity you, I'm pretty stubborn." Daniel could hear Byunghun snicker from the desk.

"Figures," he said simply as he put his violin back into its case. "Tell me about yourself, Daniel."

"Well, I'm here because my parents probably didn't want me, I'm eleven years old, and I'm pretty antisocial." Daniel said simply as he laid down on his bed. Daniel heard Byunghun getting up from his seat at the desk so Daniel scooted in towards the wall. Byunghun sat on the edge of Daniel's bed and gazed at him.

"I'm here because..." Byunghun paused and sighed softly before continuing. "My parents are gone and I have no where else to go."

For once in his life, Daniel actually pitied someone. Daniel would usually say he pitied someone just for an excuse but this time, he actually did. Daniel quickly sat up to pat Byunghun's back. Byunghun looked back at Daniel with a smile.

"It's fine, don't worry." he said softly. Daniel bit his lower lip as he stared at the other boy.

"Lets be friends" he said as he offered his hand to Byunghun. The words felt so unfamiliar though. He never said anything like that, ever but at the same time, it made him feel warm inside.

"Sure." Byunghun replied as he took Daniel's hand into his.

It only took a matter of weeks until they were best friends, inseparable of each other ... well, almost. Daniel stood there, astounded, at what he just heard from eavesdropping. Byunghun was getting adopted. Daniel tried not to cry, he really did but it was only in a matter of time before the clear liquid fell from his face. Daniel quickly ran to his room and laid in his bed.

Daniel couldn't hear the door opening and closing, the footsteps of someone coming towards him, and the sound of someone sitting down on his bed due to his loud sobs. The person put a hand on his shoulder and shook him lightly.

"What's wrong?" the angel-like voice asked. The one person he didn't need to see right not was just inches away from himself. With his face still in his pillow, he replied.

"Mmph." was all Byunghun hear. He gave Daniel a weird look before replying back to the boy.

"What?" he asked, still confused.

"Idiot," Daniel managed to say while sobbing. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I ... I was waiting for the right moment to tell you." Byunghun fiddled with his fingers and looked at the ground. "I didn't want for you to find out this way."

Byunghun heard a sniffling sound before a figure tackled him to the ground and assaulted him with a pillow. "I hate you!" Daniel yelled as he kept attacking Byunghun with the fluffy object. Daniel eventually grew tired and stopped to only land face first into Byunghun's chest.

"Daniel." Byunghun said softly as he held onto the younger boy's head. Daniel slowly raised himself up which looked similar to a push up position but Daniel's legs were on either side of Byunghun's legs. Daniel tried to look at Byunghun sincerely but his red, puffy eyes kept him from doing so. Byunghun couldn't but smile at his friend.

"Byunghun?" Daniel softly whispered  as he looked at Byunghun's brown orbs. 

"Yes?"

"Promise me something."

"Sure, what is it?"

"Promise me ... whether you are happy or sad, wealthy or living in poverty, smart or dumb, that you will always remember me. Even after you are adopted, okay?" Daniel whispered each and every word but each word had a lot of meaning behind it. Whether it was meant to be touching or comforting.

"Yeah, I will. I promise you, I will remember you, Ahn Daniel, for the rest of my life and even afterwards." Byunghun said as he wrapped his arms around Daniel's waist. Daniel began to smile, his eyes turning into crescents quickly. Byunghun smiled as well and even laughed a bit, even in the questioning position they were in.

"Pinkie promise?" Daniel said, questioningly.

Byunghun smiled as he lent out his pinky and took Daniel's pink and his together. Daniel blushed but still smiled at Byunghun. Byunghun grinned back brightly as his mouth opened to speak.

"I, Lee Byunghun, promise." he said and held Daniel's pinky tightly, but let go once he laid his eyes on his desk.

Byunghun smiled as he got up and went to the desk. He put the violin carefully into it's case and  it in front of Daniel's face.

"Here, take it to remember me by." Byunghun said and put the case into Daniel's lap. Daniel looked at Byunghun in disbelief. No way was Byunghun giving his most prized possession to him as a gift. Daniel quickly searched the room for something to give to Byunghun. Byunghun caught on immediately and put his hand on Daniel's shoulder.

"You don't have to give me anything." he said, smiling at Daniel. Daniel shook his head furiously and rummaged through the room to find something of value. Daniel's eyes shimmered as he spotted an old sketching pad under a pile of junk.

Daniel used to love drawing but he would get depressed once he saw Minsoo's drawings. He tried to improve each day by keeping a sketch pad.

Although, that was some time ago. Daniel didn't believe he could get better so he just gave up completely.

Daniel handed the sketching pad to Byunghun who looked at it curiously.

"I didn't know you draw." he said upon taking the old thing into his hands and quickly flipping through it.

"Well, I did anyway. I know it's nothing like Minsoo's but-"

"It doesn't matter Daniel, this memory is enough for me." Byunghun said as he smiled his signature smile at Daniel. Daniel could feel his heart flutter, his body warming, even the blood rushing to his cheeks once more.

 

He remembers, Daniel says to assure himself as he opened up the violin case to see a folded piece of paper in there. How come he hadn't seen this earlier? It's been six years and he hasn't even opened it ever since. He was afraid that it might break or get ruined like a fragile object. Daniel took the folded piece of paper out of the case and slowly unfolded it. Daniel's eyes scanner over each word and read it carefully, as if Byunghun was reading it direcly to him.

It left Daniel smiling, Daniel put the note on his desk and walked out of his still shared room with Byunghun's violin and closed the door. Daniel went straight back to the couple with a beaming smile and Byunghun's violin in his hand.

"I want to show you my true potential." Daniel said as he put the violin to his chin and raised the bow.

 

Dear Daniel,

I'm sure you haven't spoted this note, but when you finally have, it's probably been some time. Anyway, i just wanted to give some encouragement. Don't give up, always try your best, and do what you love the most. Remember, I promise that whether I am happy or sad, wealthy or living in poverty, smart or dumb, that I will always remember you for the rest of my life and even after that.

 

 

 

Sincerely always yours,

Lee Byunghun