Chapter 27.

Series #001: The Man Who Never Loved Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So what have you found, Jin?” Taehyun intertwined his fingers together and placed his hands under his chin. His expression was almost panicky but he kept his cool and took in a deep breath.

“Mr. Kim, I’m sorry to say that we’ve found… Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” Detective Jin hung his head low in shame, as if he was expecting Taehyun to lash out at him due to his incompetence for a simple matter.

Taehyun hadn’t realized his tense posture until he slumped his shoulders in slight disappoint and shock. “I beg your pardon? You’ve found nothing? Nothing about this Miss Byun?” Jin had been a trustworthy right hand man of Taehyun and he had never failed him, not even once. Taehyun was taken aback at his right hand man not living up to his expectations.

“I can explain, Mr. Kim. The only thing that I’ve found out about this Miss Byun, is that her full name is Byun Jihyun. Other than that, her whole profile and background is empty. It’s like it has been deleted on purpose, leaving absolutely no records of everything she had done.” Jin took in a sharp intake of breath as he raked his fingers through his honey coloured hair. “I’m really sorry I had failed you, Mr. Kim.” He shut his eyes, hoping Taehyun would accept his sincere apology.

To Jin’s surprise, Mr. Kim had placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled. “C’mon Jin, you’ve worked with me for years and never once did I doubt your capabilities.” Jin gaped at how well his boss thought of him and he felt slightly touched. “I’m sure you have a lead but are unsure of the reliability of it, right?”

“How’d you know?” Jin widened his eyes once again before continuing, “…In fact, yes. There’s something suspicious about this girl and I actually have a small lead. I guess I’ll work towards that direction and get back to you soon.” Jin nodded at Taehyun with a firm glance.

“Go for it, Jin. I’ll be waiting for your reliable info, as usual.” Jin bowed politely at Taehyun and left his study room. Taehyun relaxed his cheekbones as his smile faltered. *Byun Jihyun. You must really be something if even Jin can’t track you down.*

A knock on the door broke his train of thoughts. “Honey?” Taehyun relaxed when he recognized the sweet voice of his endearing wife.

“Yes Jiyoo? You may come in.” Jiyoo twisted the bronze knob and pushed the wooden door, as she came face to face with her distraught husband. Taehyun met eyes with her and felt the ends of his lips tug upwards. “What brings you here, my dear?”

“Well, nothing much.” Jiyoo fibbed as she smoothed out the creases on her blouse. She made her way to the small couch at the side of the room and settled down. Taehyun stood up from his black leather arm chair and strolled towards Jiyoo. She turned to Taehyun. “I.. Overheard your conversation with Jin and I’m really worried.” She confessed.

Taehyun nodded in understanding as he bit his lower lip. “You could say the same for me. When Jin told me that he couldn’t find anything, I swore I could feel my blood run cold. Jin has always been so reliable and efficient; I can’t believe he said he couldn’t find anything about this high school girl. It makes me wonder, what has Myungsoo gotten himself into?” Taehyun could feel another migraine coming as he pressed his thumb against the side of his head, massaging it.

“I know… And I have a bad news.” Taehyun looked at his wife, urging her to continue. “Myungsoo and Seulmi are back. I just received a call from him.” Jiyoo rubbed the side of her arm as she lay back onto the soft couch.

Taehyun gawked at his wife in disbelief. “I thought I told them to stay in Korea till this entire fiasco dies down!” He buried his face in his warm hands exasperatedly. *This Myungsoo, always acting rashly.*

“Don’t blame our son. They’re probably homesick. 7 days is pretty long, considering how awkward they were before they left for Hawaii.” Jiyoo placed her hand on his arm to calm him down a little. Taehyun nodded his head to acknowledge his wife’s words. “Oh yeah, should we tell them about our wedding gift?” Taehyun perked up, before his lips spread into a huge grin.

“Yes we should.”

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter