High School

Memoirs of a Vampire

 Chapter 5 – High School

Note:

(*) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Uwabaki.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time passed really quickly for me. It seems just like yesterday that she started talking and walking and now she’s a teenager experiencing her first crush.

I applied as a janitor at the high school Maki was studying at. I’ve seen a lot of teenagers do outrageous things, and I just wanted to make sure she doesn’t get hurt in any way. I easily got the job because the principal seems to be fond of me very much. Well, who wouldn’t like a y guy like me? Haha, sometimes I’m just a bit too conceited aren’t I?

My first day at the job was Maki’s first day in third year high school. I was excited because it’s been 11 years since I got this close to her, and I didn't want to miss any second of it.

It was 7:40 in the morning when I saw her walk in, I was sweeping the first floor corridor. I watched her change into her *uwabaki (indoor shoes). Then she suddenly stopped. She looked around to see if anyone was staring at her, but by the time she turned around I was already gone. I hid immediately as soon as I saw her slowly turn her head towards my direction.

I pant as I hid behind the wall at the end of the hallway. ‘That was a close one!’

For the rest of the day I just continued to follow her around as I did my janitorial work. However I noticed that a group of girls seemed to be following me around as well. They were always behind me squealing and taking pictures. I tried to lose them, but somehow they always manage to find me. *sigh* Me and my popularity (A/N: Jae, being conceited again!).

======================

It’s been five months since I started working at the school. As I continued to watch over her I slowly began to realize a few changes within Maki. She seemed to be acting strange around boys, well a certain group of boys. She always seemed to be staring at someone from afar, but I don’t exactly know who.

I continued to work even during after school hours. I cleaned the hallway, the lunch room, the office, the bathroom and a few classrooms. While I was cleaning the third floor hallway I heard someone talking inside one of the classroom. I walked closer and closer towards the door. When I peeked inside I saw Maki and a boy I slightly recognized.

“Ano……Teppei-kun….” she started out. The boy that she identified as 'Teppei' looked up at her.

“Nani?” He asked her.

“S-s-s-suki desu!” She said to him, well more like she yelled to him.

The boy was quiet for a while. When she looked up at him, he avoided her gaze. Something tells me that this wasn’t going to be good. Finally after what seems like forever for Maki, he finally spoke.

“Ano…Maki-chan….gome,” he told her honestly as he scratched the back of his head. “I actually already like someone else. Honto ni gome.” He apologized again.

I know Maki was shock and hurt, but she didn’t show it much. She just stood there stunned with slightly open and her eyes a little teary.

“Da—daijo-bu.” She stuttered to say. The boy apologized again before exiting through the other door of the classroom.

When I turned my gaze back to Maki, I saw her still standing there motionless. She then dropped her bag on the floor and her legs followed right after. She covered her eyes as tears began to fall down her cheeks.

I wanted to walk over to her and just embrace her tightly in my arms. I wanted to comfort her and to stop her tears from falling down her precious eyes.

‘Maki, nakanai de. Oniisan iru kara, mou daijobu’ (Maki, don’t cry. Your brother is here, it’s going to be alright). I wanted to whisper these words to her, but I can’t. After all I’m not her real oniisan (brother), I’m just a mere stranger to her.

======================

After that day I couldn’t stop thinking about her. Her hurt eyes, her perpetual tears, and her broken heart, I just couldn’t forget about them. I sighed as I lay on the rooftop of the same apartment building where I found Maki’s mother. I kept rewinding the same moment over and over again inside my head.

I closed my eyes for a few minutes just to relax. I tried to forget about her even just for a couple of minutes. I sighed as cleared my mind.

When I opened my eyes I found Eunhyuk staring directly at my face.

“Yo!” He said making a peace sign with his fingers.

“WHATA-!?” I immediately pushed him off of me and he fell directly on his . “What the hell are you doing here?!” I growled at him as he rub his aching .

“Oh, I was just passing by, but then I saw you sleeping here so I thought I'd come over.” He said pointing at the direction he came from.

I hold on to my chest as I gasp for air. And when I thought I could finally relax, he comes along and messes it all up. *sigh*

“What’s wrong?” he asked me.

“You! You scared the hell out me!” I told him.

“Oh come’on! It was just a joke!” he said laughing at me. I just continued to pant as I gave him a cold look.

Eunhyuk stayed with me for awhile and we chatted. He suggested I rent an apartment or something instead of sleeping at random places all the time. I nodded my head and I just remained queit as he continued to talk about everything he knows about the humans. After thirty minutes of chatting he left and went about with his business.

I thought about what he said, and I decided to take his advice. I searched for places near Maki’s house, or at least near the school. I didn’t actually have a wide range of choices; there were only a few places that offered a room. In the end I decided to rent the room at a building complex that was four blocks away from Maki’s house and three blocks away from the school. The room was small and suffocating, I tried my best to manage. At the very least I had a place to stay.

======================

The next day I heard that Maki and her class got a new teacher. I haven’t had the chance to see her yet, but I heard she was quite the beauty. Everyone was talking about her; the teachers, the students and even my fellow janitors.
I decided to check her out, not that I’m interested in her or anything, I was curious. Just as the period was ending I made my way towards Maki’s classroom. I pretended to clean the hallway. Since I was a janitor no one suspected me.

In the classroom I saw a few students chatting, playing and I saw Maki eating with her friends, but no teacher. I wonder where she is? Since I couldn’t find her in the classroom, I decided to just let it go. It wasn’t really that important for me to see her. As I was sweeping the floor at the end of the hallway, someone suddenly bumped on me. The two of us fell on the ground. As I gathered myself from the ground, I helped her gather the stuff that she dropped.

“Ah, sumimasen,” I bowed my head a couple of times and I handed back her stuff.

“Iie,” She said in a soft voice. When I looked up, I was shocked to see her face.

Omo (oh my), she’s so pretty!!! I thought.

“Ano……are you the new teacher?” I suddenly asked her.

“Unn,” she answered back as she flashed a smile at me. “Meisa Kuroki desu.” She said while stretching out her hand for a handshake.

“Kim Jaejoong desu,” I said as I shook her hand gently.

After she broke off our handshake, she excused herself and headed towards her classroom. So she’s the pretty teacher everyone was talking about! Waah! She really is pretty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Thank you everyone for the comments :) I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! 

Pls stay tune for chapter 6!!! =D

Chapter 6: Gossips

(8/24/09)