Chapter 5

Wings of Lead

The thoughts that were running through my mind were frightening. There was a thief in the house. He was in my room, and I was wearing nothing but a towel. I was a girl living alone. He might want something more than jewels. But there he was for a moment, and the next he was gone. I blinked. The man who was staring straight at me..he had disappeared. He couldn't have jumped out of the window, that was on the other side of the room and there was no way anyone could run that fast. I clutched the towel tighter to myself, glancing around the room. Was it possible that whoever it was..that they were still here? Maybe they were invisible. The little voice at the back of my head scoffed at me, and I agreed with my conscience. I was being foolish. There were no such thing as invisible men. Leave that for the writers of science fiction. But then who was that just now? Have I really gone mad, to think that there was someone in my own house. I shook my head, taking a few more hesitant steps into the room. That voice in the back of my mind, the one I am not fond of, was telling me to run. Leave.

'In what?' I hissed back, 'In nothing but a towel? Am I supposed to just scream and run around the block?' The voice didn't answer, and I sighed, half-relieved that it did and half worried that it didn't. The voice was like a mother; you despised her at times but you needed her to function. There was no one in my room, I kept telling myself as I changed clothes, drying my hair and brushing it back into a loose ponytail. There is no way anyone could be in here. You're tired. You're just imagining things right now. 

Easily enough I managed to convince myself, and soon I was under the warm blankets of my bed, drifting off to sleep. And as I was slipping into unconsciousness I could have sworn I heard someone, a man, humming under his breath by my ear.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was a relief beyond imagination when Gayoon believed that I was simply a figment of her imagination. I thought I was caught for sure. And yet, that didn't stop me from humming to her as she fell asleep. When I was sure she was unconscious, I slid into the bed next to her. I couldn't stop being so nervous when I placed my arms around her. It wasn't as if she could attack me and hurt me. Gayoon wasn't physically strong enough for that. I continued my humming, unable to hold back a grin when I saw a small smile curl her lips upward. She really was lovely. Especially in her bare, human form. Then again, all humans were beautiful in their natural state. Lifting up a hand cautiously, I pushed back a stray lock from her face. If other angels- ones higher up in status than myself- could see me now..they wouldn't like it. They would probably think I'd fallen in love with her. Falling in love with a mortal..falling in love with anyone at all was definitely out of the question. We angels are created to love one person and one person only, our Creator. If we should fall in love we would not only be betraying Him, but breaking our oath and tainting what angels stand for. 

I have never met any angel who had fallen in love but the stories are vast. Angels that are incredibly high up in status fall hard for a human, and they lose their wings. They way angels lose their wings seems to be an interesting topic, actually. Some say that they are cut off in front of an audience. Others say they simply turn grey and disappear. And yet no one knows the real story. No one knows the facts. It is amazing, how curious one can be about things that they should know so much about, but really know little. I know nothing about what happens after an angel falls. Can they redeem themselves? I doubt it. But if they were really willing to, then I suppose it might be possible for fallen angels to get their wings back. 

I watched Gayoon's chest rise and fall, her breath even. And I thought to myself, if I ever fell in love, it could be with her..
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for such small updates. Comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.