Chapter 2

Wings of Lead

My favorite time of day is when she wakes up. Her eyes open and she smiles, like she's happy to be living another day. I love it when she smiles. She looks even more beautiful than she already is on a normal basis. But soon the smile disappears and Gayoon is once again the way she has become; a solemn skeptic. And although I love her all the same, it's saddening to see her like this. Hopefully, she will change today.



I left Gayoon's bedroom before she began to change. Not that there was anything wrong with the human body-it should be something to be proud of, not embarrassing- but privacy was also something to be respected as well. Even though Gayoon would never know who I am, it's still better to keep away when a mortal is unclothed. It didn't take long for Gayoon to get ready; I was waiting for her in the kitchen when she rushed out of her bedroom. I knew why; just at the moment a loud honk came from outside. Gayoon flung open the front door and closed it behind her, skipping steps and walking quickly to Jiyoon's car. I chuckled to myself, walking through the door and gliding down the porch steps easily. It amazed me that Gayoon could run out of the house so fast in that long skirt she was wearing. I let my eyes glaze over her clothes. What she was wearing was completely church appropriate, but it wasn't exactly Gayoon's style. The white blouse and long dark skirt looked good, charming even, but Gayoon didn't look like she loved it. Apparently Jiyoon noticed this, because the moment Gayoon stepped into her car, Jiyoon spoke.

"Well..you look happy, my dear." The blonde girl chuckled, leaning over to kiss Gayoon's cheek. Gayoon rolled her eyes and tugged at the hem of the blouse. Jiyoon waited until the former put on her seatbelt before driving away. "But seriously. You look really nice. You should wear clothes like that more often."

"You know this isn't my style.." Gayoon mumbled, turning her gaze to look out the window at the trees and cars flying by.

"Yes but..you rock it so well!" Jiyoon glanced over at Gayoon once more. "You don't seem as energetic as usual. What's up?"

"I'm tired." Gayoon answered bluntly, turning to look at Jiyoon. That's when I noticed, from the back seat of the car, that Jiyoon had amazingly dark circles under her eyes. Apparently Gayoon noticed too, because she stared at her best friend. Jiyoon squirmed under Gayoon's gaze, and when Jiyoon came to a red light she looked over at her friend.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" She asked.

"..What the heck happened to you? You look more tired than me!" Gayoon exclaimed. Jiyoon rolled her tired eyes and pressed down on the gas pedal as the light turned green. "I haven't been sleeping well. At all. You know that dream I told you about on Friday? I keep having it. But it's a bit different each time."

Gayoon thought a moment, her brow furrowed. It was plain to see that she was concerned about Jiyoon. "Same guy though, right?" She asked softly. Jiyoon nodded, driving into the churches parking lot. "Yep. Always the same guy." 

"Well..maybe he's your soulmate!" Gayoon smiled, trying to lighten the brooding atmosphere. Jiyoon tried to match her smile. "Maybe.." She replied, unbuckling her seatbelt. Gayoon followed her actions. "Let's just go in there..and do what people do in a church." The latter chuckled, earning a small grin from Jiyoon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"Thank you all for joining us this Sunday, and I hope to see you again next week." The pastor smiled at the people sitting in the pews before turning around, disappearing behind the altar. I liked this pastor. He seemed very kind and down-to-earth. Apparently everyone else thought so as well. From their seats in the third row in front, Gayoon and Jiyoon stood up, preparing to leave. I stood up as well, and walked towards the back of the church, going through the open doors, waiting for them. Should it bother me that Jiyoon looked completely awful this morning? Why has she been dreaming about the same man for almost three nights in a row?

Bad things always happen in threes..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 



Gayoon seemed grateful and relieved when she finally got home. The poor girl looked exhausted. She dropped her bag on the ground and walked into the kitchen, pulling out a pot from the cabinet and clanging it on the stove. She didn't even bother to change out of her church clothes. I can't help but feel awful for her; she doesn't ever gets a decent moment of rest. And the worst thing about it is that she doesn't even realize how tired she is. 

She slammed down some random vegetables on the counter and went to grab a knife from the drawers. I watched her closely, worried she might hurt herself. But she diced awfully well. Her head kept drooping forward though, eyes kept closing. And it was at this moment when I decided to help her. I walked closer to Gayoon, until I was directly behind her. I raised my hand and placed my palm at the back of her head, closing my eyes. Gayoon slumped forward, and I slid my arms around her middle and picked her up easily. She felt light in my arms. I walked a few steps before setting her down in the kitchen chair. Gayoon didn't stir, and I smiled at her sleeping figure before turning back to the mess on the counter.

It wasn't hard to fix. Gayoon is generally a good cook, when she's awake that is. I turned the stove on higher and stirred the vegetables in the pot occasionally, keeping an eye on the clock while grabbing the salt and pepper shakers. For some reason, it made me happy to be doing something for her. Not that protecting her from all things evil isn't doing anything, but finally, I was able to have some sort of contact with her. All this time, I had been watching her at a distance, even if the distance was as small as ten feet away. But I had been able to hold her..

I shook my thoughts away as I poured the soup into a small bowl, preparing the silverware and a glass of water on a tray, setting it in front of Gayoon on the kitchen table. I reached out my hand and placed my fingertips on the side of her temple. Within moments Gayoon stirred, and her eyes opened. She yawned and leaned back in the chair, stretching before she noticed. Gayoon stared at the food tray in front of her, and no doubt wondered how she even managed to cook in her tired state. She shrugged slightly, and picked up the spoon, eating the soup slowly.

Not much later Gayoon trudged upstairs after washing the soup bowl and silverware, and I wasn't so far behind her. After touching her once, even if it was nothing too important..I felt the need to touch her again. I had to, and I didn't know why. My arms ached, and I scolded myself for being pathetic. What was happening here? I looked away as Gayoon changed into her nightclothes, even though it couldn't be more than five in the evening. Not that it mattered, she needed the rest. Gayoon crawled into bed, slipping under the covers and closing her eyes. I knew that she wouldn't be able to sleep without me intervening, and I smiled at the opportunity. I came closer to Gayoon until I was hovering over her. I leaned my face closer to her until my lips brushed against her forehead. It wasn't much of a kiss, but Gayoon's eyelids drooped, and a small smile appeared on that lovely face. Hopefully, she felt the kiss.