Chapter 4

Wings of Lead

It's a strange coincidence some, including myself, would think. Jiyoon had been dreaming of this boy for several days and suddenly he just shows up out of the blue? And the strangest thing about him, is that he seems perfectly normal.
This Kibum seemed like a calm, reserved fellow and usually Jiyoon is the same. But today she was flustered and she stumbled over her words as she spoke in an abnormally quiet voice. I watched the three of them closely. This was not like Jiyoon, that much I knew. Considering the fact that Gayoon and Jiyoon have been close since their toddler years, I have come to feel protective over Jiyoon as well. Her guardian angel didn't need to stay close to his assignment, however. There was no dangerous path that Jiyoon idly walked on.
And Jiyoon seemed to look to Gayoon for support. Gayoon was the head of this group and she played well as a leader. I smiled softly to myself as she spoke accordingly, guiding Jiyoon and Kibum into a heated discussion.
That feeling I got a few days ago..I now see it as a surge of pure curiosity. It wasn't forbidden to touch a human, but it wasn't looked upon nicely. I had never touched any of my assignments before. And I don't feel the need to touch her again.

"Personally, I think that even though the execution was quite messy and a tad cruel, Hester did deserve what was coming to her. She had an affair, and gave birth to a illegitamite child. In that time period that was one of the worst things you could do."

The room grew as silent as the dead as Kibum spoke. I didn't have to turn around to know that people were casting glances at the trio. Everyone, including Mrs. Kwon knew that Gayoon and Jiyoon were feminists. I felt myself cringe at the looks on the girls faces.

"So..you're saying she deserved to be ridiculed and ignored, and stripped of her dignity? That she was the only one who should have been punished? What about the minister? He was a holy man. Are you saying that it was alright for him to walk away from all of it without so much as a swat upside the head? Hester is the one that had to walk around, her belly swollen under her dress, and basically give birth to her baby in a prison. And then she was constantly pressed and poked by the elders of the town to speak the parentage of her child. Is not that an unfair sentence? And when people finally did find out that Dimmesdale was the father, did he get any backlash? No. And in this society, I highly doubt things would be any different. A pregnant woman cannot walk alone in the street without someone making assumptions about her in their minds."

The room was silent after the girl finished speaking. She leaned back in her chair with a growing flame in her eyes. I was proud of her. But it wasn't Gayoon who spoke. It was Jiyoon.

Gayoon held back a grin and patted Jiyoon on the shoulder. Her best friend was back. Kibum stared warily at the blonde-haired girl. Jiyoon stared back, prepared to argue. There was a reason that she was the debate captain last year. Kibum opened his mouth to say something, but then Mrs. Kwon stepped forward.

"Thank you for entertaining the entire class with your little debate." She smiled slightly, and then turned to her other students. "Take a lesson." She spoke, gesturing behind her at the trio. The bell rang, signaling the end of class. The students got up, mumbling to themselves, obviously not pleased at the fact that Gayoon and Jiyoon were once again made examples. And now they have another student to worry about.

I followed close behind Gayoon as she walked out of the classroom alongside Jiyoon. They went to their lockers and shoved their unneeded text books inside, ready for lunch. "Well.. That was interesting." Gayoon chuckled, giving Jiyoon a playful punch on the shoulder.

"Why thank you." Her best friend grinned as she closed her locker, taking a mock bow. She certainly seemed like herself again.

"Hey."

Both girls turned around, a little surprised to see the black-haired boy standing there, a flushed look on his face.
"That was really enjoyable. I'm glad I met two people that can back up their arguments so smoothly." Kibum ran a hand through his hair, gazing at the two girls.

Gayoon shot him a wry smile, placing her bag on her shoulder. "I think we feel the same way. But your opinion of Hester.." She trailed off, her nose wrinkling a little. Kibum raised both of his hands, shaking his head slowly.

"I don't really feel that way. I was honestly just looking for a good debate."

"Well, it seems that you found it. Now, Kim Kibum. Do you have any plans for lunch?" Gayoon crossed her arms over her chest, and Jiyoon looked over at her, confused.

"No. I don't, as a matter of fact."

"Good. Then you will come eat lunch with us." Gayoon smiled up at the boy, who in turn blinked in surprise.

"..Alright. Thank you." Both girls turned around and began walking in the direction of the cafeteria. I stole a glance at Kibum. His gaze was cast down to the floor, and he occasionally stole glances up at the girls. He smiled to himself, and I felt a deep frown across my face. I didn't know what he was thinking but from the way he was smiling, it was a good guess that he had taken quite a liking to the two intelligent, attractive girls.

Pretty soon the three of them were sitting in a lone table, talking and eating. Gayoon asked Kibum questions; where was he from, what were his extra-curricular activities, etc. I stared at Gayoon as she nodded slowly, listening to Kibum speak. It wasn't as if she had become attracted to the black-haired boy. This was just the way Gayoon was. She paid attention when someone spoke, gave lots of eye contact. I have known Gayoon long enough, since she was born, and I know how she is.

This boy on the other hand, was a complete mystery. He acted flustered and demure, but he often stole glances at the girls. I wondered what he was thinking. I wish I knew what he was thinking. But I do not have that power. Jiyoon took a sip of her iced tea before speaking, gazing at Kibum.

"Do you like it here so far?"

Kibum tilted his head, looking at Jiyoon. He grinned, showing off straight, pearly-white teeth.

"I like it here very much, Jiyoon."

Jiyoon smiled back, breaking the eye-contact after a few moments, moving her fork around in her salad. After that, neither of them spoke unless prodded by Gayoon.

I was relieved when school was over for the day. Jiyoon dropped Gayoon off at her home and drove away. I followed Gayoon through the front door. She went into het bedroom, threw her book bag down onto the floor as always, and began to undress, taking off her school uniform. I turned away, looking up at the ceiling. Gayoon deserved her privacy and I was not about to disrespect her.

I felt something brush against me and I turned my head to the side. Gayoon hadn't noticed when her arm touched my own, but I had. And then there was that feeling again. The strange yearning to reach out and touch her skin, or her hair. I sighed to myself, looking Gayoon over. She had a towel wrapped around her, and another on her arm. She was going to bathe.

Gayoon wasn't germophobic, but she was very careful about taking care of herself. It was almost like an obsession, but not a bad one. She was just serious about being clean. I knew that Gayoon would be in the shower for a half-hour or so, so I walked around her room, looking at pictures I had seen a thousand times before.

The first picture at Gayoon's bedside was of her mother and father. They're holding hands, and they seem to be standing outside of a park. Gayoon looks so much like her mother, it's almost disturbing. Same eyes and lips. Same height and stature. Gayoon's nose and personality come from her father.

How old was Gayoon when her mother died? I frowned, trying to think. Not more than three years old. It was snowing, when she passed on. So many people had gotten sick that year. So many had passed on. And Gayoon's mother wasn't strong enough to fight it off. Her father was never the same after his wife passed. It was as if half of his soul, his heart, died with her.

But he had to be strong for his daughter. He couldn't give up on life just because his wife was no longer with him. So he raised Gayoon, as I watched carefully from a distance. He was a good father, firm when he needed to be. Gayoon loved him so much. When he died, Gayoon's entire life shattered. She didn't know how to live for herself. But she learned. And now, she's strong. I couldn't be more proud.

I didn't even hear Gayoon come in, I was so focused on my thoughts. I didn't even realize that I was visible to her, until I heard a gasp from behind me. I turned, and gazed into Gayoon's horrified face. She was clutching her towel to her, eyes wide. Before she could blink, I disappeared.