Into Chapter

Wings of Lead

Intro Chapter



“For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”

-Psalm 91:11


My job is to protect and guide, that is all. I am no magician; I can only work my magic when I am in dire need of it, or if I have permission to. My wings give me no freedom, although in vast pieces of literature wings represent just that. I follow orders, and that is it. I ask no questions, I am an obedient child to my Father. Year after year, decade after decade, century after century I watch and protect the humans I am assigned to look after. I love each and every one of them, but I never had to reveal myself to them. I never had to get extremely close to any of them, until now.

The scent of those evil creatures have been wafting through the atmosphere since Lucifer went against God. But now, the aromas of the damned have gotten stronger..around my assignment. And no one, not even those above me, with titles that beginners only dream about, can guess the reason why. I have been told by my superiors to pay more attention to the people she meets and knows.So now, I must keep a closer eye on her. When she leaves her house, I am walking a few blocks behind her. When she sleeps, I am just outside her window..

I have been with her since the beginning, since her parents brought her onto this earth eighteen years ago. I watched her grow up, and like all of my other assignments, I have grown to love her and care for her. I was there throughout all of her struggles, and I have witnessed her strength. She doesn't allow herself to appear weak in front of anyone else, except me. But she does not know of my existence, so when she cries herself to sleep at night, I watch, my heart aching to do something, anything to help her.

She smiles the most when she sleeps, I have come to notice. During the day she seems to be too focused on things that when she's older, she won't care about. They won't matter. But I have come to admire that about her. She isn't like most people her age. And, she's so, so beautiful. When she's asleep, and when she's a wake. I felt a smile curling my lips up at the sound of her even breathing, the muffled words of a heavy dreamer reaching my ears through the window.

"Sleep well, Gayoon." I whisper, not taking my eyes off of her the entire night.