Teaser - What Fate Demands

→You Only Have One Chance
 
What Fate Demands
"Blood of an Ally"
 
 
Vasya and Sanya integrated into the One Shots quickly and entirely. The gang become their new home, practically white-washing everything that had come before. Sukki, the leader of the notorious gang, was more a mother figure than a boss. She looked out for her own, laying her life, pride, honor, and dignity on the line if the situation called for it. She cooked for the members, shopped for them, nagged them about cleaning their rooms, and hugged them for hours on end when horrifying memories of the past immerged. None of the girls talked about their pasts to anyone but Sukki. No one else could offer the warmth and comfort that she could. In Sanya's eyes, Sukki had no flaws. In Vasya's she was completely made up of flaws. She wasn't strict, never yelled, quickly abandoned gang activity for a leisurely stroll through the countryside. Don't misunderstand, Vasya worshipped her almost as much as Sanya did, merely in a different way.
 
And with this idolization of their leader, there came utter and total trust and respect. So on one brisk winter night, Vasya and Sanya didn't question Sukki's request for them to stay behind at the base. They were often left on home turf to make sure no one infiltrated the territory while the other members where out. The two had been with the One Shots for almost a year, but were still considered the newbies. They didn't mind it so much, except for the fact that it meant they couldn't go out on the big missions, the ones that called for the best and most experienced in their trade.
 
But this mission didn't go as planned. Sanya sat in the headquarters, watching the clock eagerly for the moment it struck midnight. That's when the gang was scheduled to be back. She wasn't nervous. Nervousness wasn't even a thought in her mind. There was no reason to be concerned, the group always came back exactly on time. Sanya was merely anxious for some of Sukki's home-made noodles. They had left before dinner time and Sanya was starving. Vasya was out patrolling the perimeter somewhere. Besides, she didn't know how to cook either. You'd think she would since she had a knack for mixing just the right amount of chemicals to create deadly weapons to explode at her touch, but something about the kitchen made those skills vanish. Sanya sighed and rolled over on the couch. Still half and hour.
 
Dong. Dong. Dong. Sanya jumped at the obnoxiously loud vibrations echoing from the grandfather clock. She rubbed her eyes, "I must've fallen asleep." Dong. Dong. Dong. It didn't really matter though, no one could possibly get past Vasya's detection. Plus, Liana had set up plenty of traps around the main base. Dong. Dong. Dong. And in another three seconds, the rest of the gang would walk through those doors. It was a good thing too, Sanya could eat a whole cow. Dong. Dong. Dong. She jumped up off the couch and rushed to the door. It opened and Sanya jumped on the figure. "SUKKI!!!"
 
Vasya blinked. Sanya cocked her head and looked out the door and down the street. The rest of the gang wasn't behind her. The two looked at the clock. Then at another clock. Then the small little clock on the computer. They all said it: 12:01. They looked at each other, confused. Never once had the gang been back even a second late. Slowly, confusion turned to panic.
 
Without saying a word, they both sprinted out the door. There had always been a "what if" plan, but that left their minds the moment they realized something was off. By the time they reached the building the gang had broken into, the scene was already swarming with cops, ambulances, and anything else you can think of that makes an ear-piercing wailing noise. The girls didn't care. Luckily, they hadn't been out on enough missions yet to have their faces memorized by the police, so there was minimal resistance as the desperate girls rushed toward the gurneys. The gurneys carrying their fellow members. As they raced past an officer, the two overheard him say something about "poison fumes". And they instantly knew. Secret.
 
It had been too late. Nothing could be done. Sanya and Vasya sat in the hospital the whole time, clutching each of the girls' hands for a while. When the doctors reported the results, there was hardly a reaction. They had known the whole time. Secret never half-assed a job. They said their goodbyes, in most cases just a lingering stare and a tear slipping down each cheek. Sukki was last. So many times she had given the girls a warm smile and teasingly mocked "If I don't come back, I'd better not have either of you crying over me. You know how much I hate salt water, ya hear?" The memory of it only made them cry harder, muttering apologies through clenched teeth.
 
"I swear Sukki... I swear," Sanya managed to get out.
 
"Secret will pay," Vasya finished, stepping up behind her.
 
They looked at each other and nodded. The war had begun.
 
 
Co-Author's Note
And this is how the first generation One Shot ended. So now it's time for Vasya and Sanya to build it from the ground up, no? That's right! Next chapter will be what you've all been waiting for, the first character revealed! Good luck to all. And yes, if you're still working on your application you can definitely still send it in. We actually haven't decided for sure on any of the applicants as far as whether they'll be chosen or not so you've still got just as much of a chance of making it in as everyone else. So good luck to all and we'll see you soon!
-asuna
P.S. if you haven't already done so yet, please read my note in Chapter 6.