Teaser - Vasya & Sanya

→You Only Have One Chance
 
Vasya & Sanya
"The Badasses on the Block"
 
 
Too much. It was all too much. Life was too much. Neither could handle it. The expectations, the hardships, the disappointment, the grief. Why was there so much doubt? So much pain? So much weight placed on their shoulders? Neither could handle it, so they ran away. Heading for the hills and knowing they'd never come back. Alone and unsure, each made their separate journeys to the big city of Manila...
 
 
 
It was the fourteenth of March. Just another day. It was Vasya's one month anniversary of arriving in Manila and she was still a bit overwhelmed. The ten story buildings, the hundreds of thousands of people, the wide crowded streets. It was all so different from the small-town life she was used to. The only thing that seemed to be the same was the crime. She hadn't grown up in the best of towns, and she had been forced to learn to fight her way through life at an early age. And it was a good thing she had. Manila was even worse than she could've imagined and she had already been jumped three or four times. Of course, she had been able to fight all but one of them off and he had only been interested in her money, which she didn't have any of. She was just thanking her lucky stars that she hadn't run into any gang members yet. As far as she'd heard, they were the rulers of this kingdom and she was certain that they'd be able to get the best of her in a fight. Of course, if it was a fight with explosives she'd win hands down. Unfortunately, hand-to-hand combat wasn't her forte.
 
She was almost back home, just one more dark alleyway to go down and she'd be at her run-down and beat-up apartment that she was renting for a mere 800 pesos a month (about 20 US dollars). That's when she heard it. A small chuckle from one of the shadows. Vasya spun on her heels, putting her fists up in a defensive position, to face the source of the laughter. The sun was just about to set and the alley was dark as night in the shadows. Vasya searched, but her eyes couldn't locate whoever was lurking.
 
"Don't look so frightened. I don't bite," came a voice from right in from of Vasya. She jumped back. A woman stepped out of the shadows and was outlined in the orange light that filled the street. Her hair was long and wavy, pitch black at first glance, but upon closer inspection it looked almost purple in the fading light. She definitely wasn't Filipino. She seemed Hispanic from what Vasya could tell. Her skin was a dark tan, a huge contrast to her own pale, fair complection. They looked like total opposites standing there, but in reality they knew that they were the same. Both abandoned in one way or another. Both hurt. Both looking for a way out.
 
The girl was the first to speak. "You don't look so tough."
 
"Neither do you," Vasya retorted. She might not look tough, but she had confidence in her abilities.
 
The girl laughed a bit. "I'm not trying to pick a fight. I've seen you take on some other guys, and you're not bad. Of course, I'm better, but you're not bad."
 
"Is that a challenge?" Vasya asked, never loosing her attitude, but trying to keep her cool none the less.
 
"Nope. Just an observation. My name's Sanya. And you are?" The girl extended her hand and put on a big smile. Vasya couldn't tell if it was fake or not.
 
"Why should I tell you?"
 
"Well I told you mine."
 
Vasya sighed. "Fine then, I'm Vasilisa Solodkaya." She kept a straight face.
 
"Well that's a bit of a mouthful, don't you think? Could I call you Vassie? Or maybe Lisa? Kaya?"
 
"Vasya."
 
Sanya's smile grew and she reached out and grabbed Vasya's hand, forcing her to shake it.
 
"Well I think it's pretty obvious that we're both on our own out here, so what do you say we team up?" Sanya said, skipping right to the point. Vasya took a step back.
 
"I don't even know you," Vasya turned to walk away, "Plus you'd just slow me down."
 
"Oh? I somehow doubt that." As she said it, Sanya ran up behind Vasya and secured her in a fast head-lock. Vasya squirmed, but it was no use. After a second of letting her feel helpless, Sanya loosened her grip and allowed the other girl to escape. She threw her bag to the ground and turned around to face her opponent, fists at the ready. Vasya ran at full speed, bringing her fist back to deliver a painful blow to Sanya's left cheek, but at the last moment, Sanya brought up her hand, pushing the fist off course enough for it to miss its mark. Taking the opportunity, Sanya brought up her knee and jammed it into Vasya's stomach. Vasya's mouth opened as the wind was knocked out of her. She gasped for air and began to fall forward, but Sanya caught her and helped her back to her feet. She knew she'd feel that one in the morning.
 
"You still think I'd slow you down?" Sanya had a wicked smile on her face.
 
"You're pretty good," Vasya admitted. "But it wouldn't have been so easy if you hadn't caught me off guard."
 
Sanya laughed. She knew that she was right. It would've been a bit more difficult if the other had been expecting it, but it would've only delayed the same result.
 
"So what do you think? You wanna team up now?"
 
"I'll think about it..."
 
Sanya smiled. "Well I've shown you my specialty. I'm best at fighting hand to hand. If we're going to work together, I think it's only fair that I know your specialty too."
 
"I don't have one," Vasya quickly replied. She hoped that that would be the end of the topic. Of course, she did have a specialty. She could make just about any bomb in the entire world, granted she had the material and resources. But it wasn't something she liked to show off to the world and she wasn't sure how trustworthy this new ally was.
 
"That's a lie and I know it. There's gotta be something you're really good at."
 
"Nope."
 
"Well then, I'm sure you won't mind if I take a closer look at that secret compartment you have in your living room."
 
"How did you know about that!? Did you break into my house!? Creep!!!" Vasya started walking toward her door.
 
"No, I'm not that insane. But you need to learn that when you have your lights on at night and the blinds are open, people on the street can see everything you're doing."
 
"Well ."
 
"Well you're specialty definitely isn't common sense." Sanya laughed and Vasya took the opportunity to land a decent punch on her cheek.
 
Sanya brought her hand up to massage her jaw. "Ow. At least you throw a good punch."
 
"Consider it payback." Vasya said taking her key out of her pocket and unlocking the door to her apartment. It wasn't like there was any harm that letting the girl in could do. There was nothing in the apartement to steal and Sanya didn't need to be in the house to beat her up. So seeing no reason to deny the girl access to her house, Vasya waved her hand at Sanya, motioning for her to come in. Sanya followed her into the apartment, wide-eyed like a kid at Christmas. 'This girl...' Vasya thought to herself as she shook her head a bit.
 
The wooden floor creaked with every step the two girls took and off near the corners the floorboards were so warped that there were spaces between the boards as wide as two or three inches. The ceiling was cement, like the walls, and neither provided much insulation. It was a bit chilly inside, but Manila never really got cold, even at night, so it wasn't a big deal. Vasya flipped a switch on one of the walls and two bare bulbs, one on either side of the room, flickered to life. The only pieces of furniture in the place were a large, ripped, and fading couch and a short, warped coffee table standing in front of it.
 
"I love what you've done with the place," Sanya said sarcastically, checking the ceiling for cobwebs. Vasya sneered and went to the window to pull down the blinds, remembering what Sanya had said.
 
"You wanna see my specialty or not?" Vasya asked as she crossed the room. Sanya removed her eyes from the ceiling and nodded, following the other to the place where she knew the secret compartment to be hidden. Vasya stepped lightly on the edge of a floorboard and the opposite end flipped up. Underneath was a box that contained an extremely small key which Vasya took out. She ran her hand along the bottom of the wall searching for the spot. She found the little hole, hidden inconspicuously in plain sight, and stuck the key in. It turned, and a chunk of the wall loosened. Vasya slid it out, revealing a stash of five or six shoe boxes. She pulled one out and brought it to the coffee table. She opened it carefully, lightly placing the top next to it, and presented the contents. Sanya gasped. There must have been fifty wires, all different colors, twisting and turning around each other, connecting up to little boxes with red lights and tubes of who-knows-what. Sanya didn't know what to say. It was beautiful and incredible and dangerous all at the same time.
 
"Alright, I'm impressed," Sanya admitted.
 
"What high praise from the queen of the alleyway," Vasya mocked. Sanya paid no attention. She was too entranced by the insides of this home-made bomb.
 
"It's official," Sanya finally spoke up, "We're definitely teaming up. I wouldn't want to ever get on your bad side." Sanya looked up and met Vasya's suddenly icey cold eyes.
 
"Too late." Vasya's voice was dead serious.
 
There was a moment of silence, as each judged the other's reaction, Vasya keeping a straight-face and Sanya trying desperately to hide her terror. And then they simultaneously broke into laughter. Neither knew exactly why, but the next thing they knew they were rolling on the ground clentching their stomaches from laughing so hard.
 
They'd get along just fine, and each knew it. From that moment on, they would have each other's backs in any situation, whether it was as simple as helping to pay the rent, or as complicated as a life or death circumstance. They were allies and friends, and nothing could change that. Or could it?
 
 
 
 
Quick Co-Author's Note
I know I know, I need to work on my action and violence writing, but here's a little teaser just to keep you all interested. I hope you'll ignore the ishness of it. So we sadly haven't gotten any applications yet ='( but it's okay, we'll be patient as long as you guys promise that you're working on them!!! XD Well I think that's about all I have to say for now, so I hope to see you all soon!!! =D
-asuna