The unexpected patient

It Started With The Stethoscope's Owner!

 

“Hey, Hyejung! I heard some great stories from the nurses! And the heroine of the story seemed to be you!” Chaeyoung said, excitedly tugged her arms into Hyejung’s. “Hey you! How could you managed to make the famous idol star Hoya fallen for you?” She pouted, upset that she lost the chance to seduce the handsome man as she was going to marry soon. “Who’s the famous idol star?” Hyejung asked, with a confused look placed on her face while she tried to remove the white coat away from her slender body and hung it back into her small cabinet.

“Don’t try to pretend as a fool! How could you don’t know the current trend idol of South Korea? Don’t tell me that you never read newspaper or surfing the Internet?” Chaeyoung sighed. “I don’t have that time to read that kind of news. Please tell me now or else I will just head back home. I’m tired and don’t have any strength to play along with you.”

Upon hearing the answer from her best buddy Hyejung, she covered in disbelief, unable to accept the truth that her friend who was in her early 20’s didn’t know about kpop idol! Okay, she got to admit that she was defeated by her! “Well, having any idea about the name Lee Howon?”

“Lee Howon?” She repeated and blinked her eyes for a while before she recalled the image of the man who she met last night. “Oh, I guess I know who he was. He’s the one admitted last night and refused to stay in the hospital.” “Yeah, it’s that patient! Do you know who he was?” “Lee Howon.”

Well… Again! Chaeyoung was totally speechless again. She slapped her hand on her face, feeling embarrassed by her short and simple reply. Of course, I know this too, you idiot! “Besides that, do you know more about his identity?” She continued, unsatisfied by Hyejung who was trying to ignore her question. “Lee Howon. 24 years old. Male. Height 178cm. Weight 69. Korean.” Hyejung answered, but later on shook her head, saying “The nurses had been reading his profile for unknown time, circled around me and kept on gossiping, so I have no choice but to remember it even I don’t want to.”

“Well, I guess they forget to tell you that he’s a famous idol from a boy group called Infinite. They were so popular that their world tour concert’s tickets were sold out within a minute!” Chaeyoung said while holding a ticket in her hand. “Thankfully, I managed to buy one!” “Yeah, congratulations my friend! But, I need to tell you something.” “What?” “I guess their concert will be postponed as I refused to discharge my patient before he was fully recovered. Sorry, friend!” She said and quickly ran out to chase after the last bus, leaving her friend in desperation state.

While running her way to the front entrance, Hyejung met with one of her senior, Dr Han. The senior that envied of her talent but hated her as well due to her family background. “Dr Shin, I heard that you were interacting well with the famous idol star Hoya.” She said, jealousy was shown on her face. “Are you talking to me, Dr Han?” “Do you see anyone else here?” She fired back, angrily hold back her fist. “Wow, that’s amazing! Even the doctor from the surgical department knew about my patient. What’s an honour to me!” She smiled, amazed by how every medical staffs knew about his presence although he was just admitted 23 hours ago.

“Well, I’m just curious why that patient choose an emergency department doctor as his attending physician. According to his current condition, he should be under surgical department but how did you managed to take the case over?” She said, anger and jealousy could be sensed in her words.

Looking back on Dr Han, Hyejung shook her head as she understood the reason behind it. Rather than letting this senior doctor who just like to be the attention of people attending him, it would be better to choose her. Thought of this, Hyejung was about to spit it off but then she chose not to in order to prevent conflict occurred. Most of all, her father would be heard of it and giving her even more burden.

“It’s just that I was on duty last night so this case happened to in charge by me. That’s all.” She lied. Actually, she also wished that she wasn’t the one who handled this case as she found it’s annoying to have him as her patient. The first time Hyejung was unable to bear with a patient.

“Are you planning for something?” Dr Han stared at her, ignored the reason she had just told. “I don’t understand what you meant.” “Are you trying to use this patient to be famous? If you successfully cure his illness, then you can have an idol star to promote how brilliant you are as a doctor.”

So, this is what she meant! “Sorry, even I do really have that great opportunity to be famous, I’m not interested at all.” “What?” “Rather than being a doctor that desired over fame, I would rather be an unknown doctor that helped the needed patients. Sorry, I have no time and I don’t wish to waste my time discuss this boring topic.” She sighed, walked into the lift that just opened at the right time. “Please excuse me, Dr Han.”

Slowly, the lift closed and brought Hyejung down, leaving Dr Han alone at the same spot. “Shin Hyejung, how dare you trying to say that to me!” She said, clenching her fist with tears pooling around her eyes. Soft sob was heard but she managed to stop it right away. “Don’t pretend you know me well, Shin Hyejung. You’re just the daughter of Professor Shin that knows nothing.” The latter whispered, brushed her finger over the tear stained face before she forced a smile and walked back to her office.

On the other side, Hyejung was prepared to walk herself to the bus stop nearby before a sudden call stopped her. “Dr Shin! I’m Shinji.” The caller spoke, her speaking tone displayed how nervous she was. Upon hearing her voice, Hyejung sensed that something was not right. “What’s happen?” “Patient Lee Howon was sent into the hospital after being discovered fainted at the dance studio!”

Taken aback by her answer, she quickly voiced out her doubt. “You mean dance studio? Isn’t he is not allowed to discharge? How could he…” “He absconded! I’m sorry.” Shinji replied in guilt, feeling sorry for not noticing about his whereabouts. “It’s okay. I will be right back in few minutes.” She said. “Shinji.” “Yes, Dr Shin?” “It’s not your fault so don’t bear in mind. I will help you to explain to the chief nurse after I treated the patient. You will not be punished so don’t worry.” She comforted her before she ended up the call, rushing her way back to the hospital.

Holding the phone in her hand, Shinji was sobbing. Sobbing hard as she was touched by her words. An understanding doctor that comforted her even it was still considered as her mistake for not concerned on her patient. Dr Shin, thank you. She whispered softly before she placed the phone back to its place and quickly prepared some equipments needed by the doctor.