Chapter 36

Love, Symmetry & Rhythm

Chapter 36

“Good work everyone…” Everyone in the dance studio called out wearily at the end of practice. We all start moving our separate ways to our belongings without glancing or talking to each other.

When I made it to my things, I took the opportunity to look around at my fellow backup dancers. This was really strange. Even though everyone was close enough to talk to each other, they weren’t. There was an eerie silence in the room with only the sounds of zipping bags and jackets were heard. There was only one person in the entire room who seemed his normal self…

“Hey.” Youngbae sits down next to me.

“Hey.” I reply, whispering as if afraid to break the silence in the room.

“Pretty weird, huh?” Youngbae whispers back while nodding towards the rest of the group slowly trickling out of the dance studio, still not saying a word to each other.

I frown, “Yeah… Everyone was so quiet today… even Seungri wasn’t his usual hyper self.”

Youngbae smirked at the image “I guess the whole Sohee and you situation got everyone on edge again. Haven’t seen them like this since the last backup dancer caused a scene…”

I wince at the thought that everyone’s cheerfulness and energy was by my own personal drama.

The warmth of Youngbae’s touch on my shoulder eased my pain just a little, “Don’t worry, Dara. It’s not your fault. I’m sure everyone’s being like this because of what YG sajangnim said earlier.”

 

~*Flashback*~

I entered the studio before practice and saw YG sajangnim standing at the front talking with Jae Wook. Everyone else was gathered in the back, whispering to each other and eyeing our President who looked less than cheerful.

“Now that everyone is here, I would like to clarify a few things.” YG’s voice boomed throughout the entire room causing all of us to stand straight immediately. “The situation that happened a few nights ago,” His eyes glance at me and then to Sohee, who I now see was standing alone in a corner, “forget it happened.”

Heads began to turn and the room filled with slight whispers but YG continued.

“I will not tolerate such behavior from professionals such as yourselves. You are all here to work and support YG artists. I hired each and every one of you because I believed you could be professionals in any circumstance.”

He paused as he scanned the room making sure every word was embedded in our heads.

 

“I’ve already discussed this with Jae Wook and I don’t want to hear a word about that situation happening. No questions, no explanations, and most importantly,” YG looks towards me again causing my shoulders to tense, “no more accusations. Understood?”

“Yes, sajangnim.” Everyone said in unison as YG nodded in response.

“Good. Now get started with practice.”

~*End of Flashback*~

I sigh just remembering the high tension his scolding created and knowing this all happened because of Sohee and I…

“I guess I’ll never know what happened.” Youngbae eyes me expectantly. I feel my words catch in my throat remembering that I never explained anything to him. How could I not tell him… But… where do I even start?

“I’m sorry, Youngbae-ah… I—“

“Don’t worry.” He shakes his head and smiles bringing warmth to my body, “I don’t need to know anything. No matter what, I’m on your side.” He winks and squeezes my shoulder.

I smile from ear to ear at his words. It was amazing how good it feels to be believed in… it’s something that I’ve somehow forgotten.

“Thanks, Youngbae.”

He nods and looks forward, leaning back on his hands, “No problem…” He trails off and hums, “But in return for my gentleman-ness…” He tilts his head to the side and glances at me, “I have a favor to ask.”

I lightly punched his arm and scoff at him, “Omo, some gentleman you are… What is it?” I turn back to my bag and continue to pack up my things.

 

“Let’s go on a date.”

 

Thank god I decided not to take a sip of water until after he asked or else that would’ve actually gotten everywhere with my mouth now wide open.

I turn to look at him, still jaw hanging low.

“W-What?!” My voice cracks.

I see a smirk form on his face as he leans his head back to stare at the ceiling, “A date.” He repeats and closes his eyes, “I want to take you somewhere.”

WHY IS HE ACTING SO CASUAL ABOUT THIS?!

Those are the only words screaming in my mind, the rest of it had shut down and ran away. Damn this inexperienced mind of mine!

 

“I-I… Um… You… Well… We” Words are failing me and I want to stab myself with something.

Suddenly, he bursts out laughing and collapses to the floor, holding his stomach.

“I’ve never seen you at such a loss of words before.” He sits back up and wipes the tears forming at the corner of his eyes, “Who knew the strong and stubborn Park Sandara could turn to a fumbling mess!”

I pout and punch him harder in the arm, “Y-Yah! Shut up. You just caught me off guard!”

I cross my arms over my chest and look away from him causing him to laugh again.

“It’s fine. I’m sorry, it was just really cute.”

My cheeks immediately flush at his words. What the hell is he trying to do to me?

 

“So… This Wednesday?”

I feel his eyes on me. His tone was softer… and more serious. He’s serious?

I force my mind to work and sort out what this all means. A date? Why a date? Why phrase it that way? It’s not like we are… dating? Then does Youngbae… like me? I thought I liked him? I do like him… right? I curse my brain for letting that piece of information slip my brain the past few days. I was supposed to sort that feeling out days ago. Now look what it got you into… But what’s stopping you? A flash of Jiyong’s face appears in my mind and I feel my heart skip a beat. What…? Jiyong? But…

Then Sohee’s words played in my head, ‘we won’t let a guy break us apart’. My heart constricted in pain again causing me to lean forward and hold my head in my hands.

“Woah, Dara? What’s wrong? Are you okay?” Youngbae slides over next to me and holds my shoulders, keeping me steady.

“Yeah… just got a little dizzy that’s all.” I manage to respond while voices are screaming in my head. Why is this happening?

“C’mon, you must be hungry. Let’s get you something to eat.” I feel his hand on my back rubbing me soothingly and making me realize his warmth and his support.

 

“Wednesday is good.” I let the words out.

“Eh?” I don’t have to look at his face to know that he’s confused. I turn my head as I still rest it on my hand and smile at him.

“Wednesday works for me.”

His eyes grow wide and his mouth is slightly open. “R-Really? Y-You don’t have training or anything after practice?”

I shake my head and continue to smile at him. “Nope. I’m free.”

Then I saw the widest smile I’ve ever seen on his face, his eyes were smiling at me too.

“G-Great. Then… uh… I guess we’ll go after practice. Okay?”

I nod, “Okay.”

“Good. Awesome. Perfect. Okay. Uh… Cool.” Youngbae lets go of my shoulders and rests his hands of his lap.

“Got anymore adjectives you’d like to recite?” I tease and nudge him with my elbow.

“Aish… you—“ His arms rise up as if about to tackle me but he stops when the door of the studio opens revealing YG sajangnim… and Jiyong.

From the corner of my eye, I see Youngbae quickly bring his arms back down and sit normally.

 

“Ah, good Dara. You are still here.” YG sajangnim says with a smile before walking into the studio, “And with Youngbae as well. I see you two are still having fun despite everything that has happened. Good to know.”

The tone of his voice was serious but had a hint of playfulness to it causing me to blush a little.

“Ah yes, sajangnim… what brings you here?” Youngbae begins to stand up as YG makes his way closer with Jiyong at his side, eyeing us both. I follow suit, my eyes not leaving Jiyong’s face.

“Well, I had something to tell Dara in regards to her training.” He stops in front of us and crosses his arms in front of his chest, analyzing me head to toe.

“How has training been for you Dara?” He asks, forcing me to break contact with Jiyong’s stare.

“It’s great. It’s been very helpful with Jae Wook. I’ve felt that I’ve learned a lot.” I search my brain for more words despite the feeling of all eyes on me… especially Jiyong’s intensity.

“Have you gotten any assignments from him yet?” YG asks next.

“I have been preparing a piece for him that’s due this Thursday when I meet with him, so hopefully I will be able to do a good job.”

 

YG nods with the same smile on his face, “That’s good to hear. I’m glad you are taking this seriously.Now that I know that, I feel much more comfortable allowing this.”

My head tilts to the side in confusion, “This?” I glance quickly at Jiyong and now see a small smile on his face as he looks at me.

 

“Jiyong here… will be your personal mentor during your trainee days here at YG.”

“Eh?” My mouth drops again for the second time tonight but this time a bit lower.

“Jiyong will personally watch over your training and help you whenever is needed. Although he is very busy himself and may not be physically present most of the time, he has offered his experience and knowledge about this industry to help you further improve. You should find yourself very lucky, Dara.”

I look from YG sajangnim then towards Jiyong whose smile had just gotten wider. His face was a complete opposite from his expression earlier this morning in front of the recording studio. A shiver runs down my spine unsure of what will be in store for me from now on.

 

 Jiyong bows before shining me another smile. “I look forward to working with you, Dara.”

 

*BlueNote*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Updated! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter :)
Thank you again for the comments/suggestions! I will be taking them into account
Hopefully more will be updated soon
But I do have a midterm to study for this Monday!
Thank you everyone ^-^

 

*If you are confused about layout/weird details that seem wrong+right at the same time, please read the story description!*