Day 4

Five Days of Spring

Day 4:

  The school day was like the usual except I didn’t speak to Ji Min or Yong Guk. The only one who I did spoke to was Jung Jin. She was practically planning out what we were going to do. I half listened, only hearing the things that she mentioned yesterday. Oh well, whatever’s going to happen today, I’ll see.

  I walked with Jung Jin to her house and we just talked about whatever came into our mind. This was the first time I spoke so much after my breakup and I was relieved. I missed talking to people.

  Once we got into the house, Jung Jin kicked her shoes off and headed straight to the kitchen. I followed behind her and found her taking the ingredients out to make cookies. We were going to start from scratch which meant we would need a lot of ingredients to make it sweet enough.

  “So what kind of cookies do you want to make?” She asked while holding out chocolate chips. “Do you want a chocolate chip cookie and a full out chocolate cookie?” Her eyes shift from me to the chocolate chips. “Or do you just want a sugar cookie?”

  I had no hesitation in my answer. “I want a chocolate chip cookie.” I loved chocolate, but I didn’t want my cookie to be a chocolate cookie.

  “Okay! Let’s start!” She started getting the rest of the ingredients and placed a bowl on the island in the kitchen. Jung Jin also took out the blender and set it off to the side.

  I watched her move from one side of the room to the other. She paused for a moment, thinking what else we need, before getting the final ingredients. When she noticed I wasn’t doing anything, she scolded me, placing her hands on her hips and saying, “Himchannie! You’re supposed to be helping me!”

  I chuckled. “Sorry.” I took the bowl and cracked some eggs. I placed in the rest of the ingredients before mixing it. I didn’t place the chocolate chips yet for the fear of getting them crushed so early in the making. Once the batter was ready, I poured as many chocolate chips before mixing it again. The batter was getting thicker, but we had to leave it in the fridge a bit to make it thick enough to be dough.

  Jung Jin had a satisfied grin. “Now, while we’re waiting, how about you help me clean the living room?”

  “What?” Wait a minute. I’m a guess, so why do I have to help clean?

  She giggled. “Did you not hear me say that you’re going help me clean? You even said, ‘Okay,’ when I mentioned it! Sheesh! You need to listen more!” She grabbed the broom from the pantry and handed it to me. “You broom while I throw away the trash, okay?”

  Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Don’t girls usually be the one brooming and dusting while the guys take out the trash and do the heavy duty work? What’s up with this? Whatever… I didn’t complain and did what I was told as Jung Jin took care of the trash. I was muttering nonsense to myself as I swept the floors of the living room. When I was done, I practically dropped on the couch.

  I heard Jung Jin laughing. “I could just take a picture right now! Ha. Ha! You would really make a good housewife when you marry someone.”

  I glare at her. Housewife? “And you would make the perfect family pet.”

  Her jaw dropped. “Meanie.”

  I smirked.

  “Well, let’s finish the cookies!” She rushed to the kitchen and pulled out the batter.

  I set the tray, placing wax paper on top and the oven to preheat it. We washed our hands before preparing the cookie dough and placing them on the tray. A few times, I caught Jung Jin taking a piece of the cookie dough and every time, I would scold her, “That’s unhealthy, Jung Jin! You might get salmonella from the eggs!”

  She would always shrug me off and continue eating the cookie dough. Ah, whatever.

  As we placed the cookie dough in the oven, Jung Jin set the timer for twelve minutes. It should be enough for the cookies.

  “Okay, now let’s watch a movie!” Jung Jin skipped towards the now cleaned living room.

  I wondered why was she so happy today. This was the first time I have seen her acting like this and I liked it. I liked seeing her happy like this. It reminded me of… Ji Min… I bit my lip at that thought, but shook it off. I shouldn’t be thinking about her. This isn’t the time I should be. I even promised Jung Jin I wouldn’t mention or think about her and Yong Guk.

  I sat next to her. “In twelve minutes, the cookies will be ready. Are you sure you want to watch right now?” I asked her. We wouldn’t get much done in the movie if we start now. Plus, I hate watching a movie and get interrupted in the middle of it.

  She sighed. “Okay, fine. What do you want to do then?”

  “Let’s just talk.”

  Jung Jin pursed her lips. “Talk about what?”

  “Or how about we play truth or dare?”

  Her eyes widened. “With just the two of us? It’s not as fun when there’s a group.”

  “Not unless we make it interesting.” I wiggled my eyebrows. I knew exactly what I wanted her to do if she said dare. “Okay, you go first. Truth or dare?”

  “Truth.”

  I glared at her. “Oh, c’mon! You’re going to make it boring if you’re just going to choose truth the whole time!” The whole point of me wanting to play truth or dare is to get my revenge on her for the constant pranks we pulled on each other in the past.

  She sighed through her nose. “Fine. Dare.”

  “I dare you to…”

  The truth or dare game went on for a while and when it was Jung Jin’s turn, I finally let her say truth. “Who do you like now?” I asked. I could tell she liked someone because a girl like her doesn’t get happy so easily like that unless something happened. The boy she liked must’ve done something special for her today.

  She blushed. “I-I-“ she stuttered, unable to get her words out. Her cheeks were burning as she couldn’t get the words out. “C-Can you ask another question?”

  I shook my head. “Nope. You wanted to do truth, so I let you and you need to answer the one I ask.”

  She bit her lip before giving in. “I like-“

  The oven started beeping.

  Jung Jin jumped up from the couch and headed to the kitchen. I sat in the same place, waiting for her to come back and answer my question. When she did, she the DVD player and put in a movie.

  She didn’t answer my question.

  I let it go since I should just give her personal space. If she doesn’t want to answer, then that’s fine. I just wanted to a bit.

  As we were watching the movie, it was silent between us. We were watching a romance movie I already seen, but obviously this was the first time Jung Jin saw it since she was so engulfed in scenes including the two main characters. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself as I saw her in that state. She’s really like a little kid sometimes.

  Through my peripheral vision, I could see her biting her nails as the drama started. I knew this was going to be a kiss scene, so I especially paid attention to her. I wanted to know her reaction. When the kiss scene occurred, her eyes widened as she bit her bottom lip. I don’t know why, but I felt my cheeks flare red at that simple action. This was the first time I’ve seen her so calm like this. I usually saw her being this annoying brat that always wants to tease me.

  I turned to the TV and found the two main characters still kissing. I looked away, but my eyes ended up shifting towards Jung Jin. She was so engulfed in the scene, it felt like she was the one being kissed or at least, that’s how it looked in my eyes. There was a lump in my throat as I saw her her lips, leaving them wet and slick. I gulped. What’s going on with me?

  Suddenly, her eyes shifted towards me.

  I looked away and stiffened.

  “Is there something wrong?” She asked in a soft tone similar to Ji Min’s.

  I shook my head. Why is my body burning right now and why do my pants feel so tight all of a sudden?

  She shrugged and returned to watching the movie.

  I found myself staring at her again and I knew she didn’t notice me. If she did, she would have said something by now. I couldn’t help, but notice the features I didn’t see before. She truly resembled Ji Min in a way, but less mature. Her eyes were big like Ji Min’s, her skin was light like Ji Min’s, her lips appeared soft like Ji Min’s. Almost everything about her resembled Ji Min.

  I didn’t realize I was moving closer to her as my eyes were glued to her lips, until I heard the door unlocked. I sat up straight and pretended to watch the movie.

  “Oh, Himchan. What are you doing here?” I heard Mrs. Hwang exclaimed.

  I turned my head and smiled. “I just came to visit Jung Jin.”

  She smiled back at me. “Well, you’re welcome here anytime.”

  “As long as you don’t do anything to my daughter,” Mr. Hwang stated, raising an eyebrow.

  I laughed nervously. I was about to.

  Jung Jin whined. “Dad!”

  “What?”

  I stood up. “I’ll be going now.” I bowed and headed towards the door.

  “Wait!” Jung Jin exclaimed, causing me to pause in my tracks. I felt a bead of sweat running down the temple of my forehead. What is going on with me? “Don’t you want cookies?”

  “Uhm… It’s okay. They’re all yours.” I grinned at her before leaving the house. As I was walking, I placed a hand on my heart, feeling the rough and unsteady beating. I took a deep breath, hoping it would calm me down, but it wasn’t working. Jung Jin. What have you done to me?