Day 3

Five Days of Spring

  Day3:

  I met with Jung Jin at the front of the school because we had planned to. I didn’t want anyone to hurt her anymore, so whenever I got the chance, I would be by her side, making sure no one harmed her. Of course that would be hard in the classrooms, but there should be a teacher around once in a while.

  “Good morning,” I greeted her.

  She smiled and bowed. “Good morning, Himchannie.”

  I wrapped an arm around her and immediately felt her body stiffened. I chuckled at her cuteness. It’s not like I would hurt her, but maybe she’s just worried that people would start rumors. If they do, they’re going to make the biggest mistake in their life.

  Just as we were about to enter the school, I spot Ji Min and Yong Guk sneaking a kiss before separating – probably to see their friends. My eyes drooped, but I continued to walk inside the school. Jung Jin must’ve noticed my actions and got out of my grasp. She faced me with a pout on her lips. “Himchannie, you need to stop thinking about my sister. It’s not healthy.”

  I wasn’t able to meet her gaze. It’s hard to let go someone when you have loved her for so long. “You wouldn’t know because you have never fallen in and out of love.”

  Her eyes widened and she suddenly got defensive, “I sure do know how it feels! Have you forgotten about Jongup? I loved him, but now he’s gone and I’m pretty sure we’re never going to see each other again! I managed to move on, but you, you aren’t!” She stomped on my foot and ran away from me.

  I flinched but didn’t move a muscle. Well, this is a great way to start off my morning. I sighed and headed to my class. While going there, I found myself staring out the windows on the hallways. I saw many people coming in the school building or just hanging out around the front. I began to reminisce the times I spent with Ji Min.

  It was our first date.

  I was so nervous, and I had no idea what to wear. I decided to throw on whatever I saw in my closet as long as it matched with each other. There’s no way I would choose something that would look totally wrong.

  When I was done preparing myself, I rushed out the door and drove to her house. I was running late, but hopefully she wasn’t ready because girls usually take their time on preparing themselves.

  I rang the doorbell and found Jung Jin standing by the doorway, still in her pajamas. She was rubbing her eyes like a little kid, but the moment she realized it was me, her eyes widened and she slammed the door on my face.

  Irritated and impatient, I knocked. This time, when the door opened, Ji Min stood in front of me wearing a plain t-shirt and jeans. She was smiling brightly at me.

  I held out a hand. “Are you ready to go?”

  She nodded.

  Just before we left, I spotted Jung Jin in the background. I stuck my tongue out at her since we would usually get into fights. She returned it with her own before she shut the door behind us.

  The date was perfect, or at least to me it was. We went to the places I wanted to and took her out for dinner. We were able to laugh and talk to each other. We manage to go through the day perfectly and end it perfectly.

  At the doorstep of her house, I held her hands tightly in mine. “Did you have fun?” I asked.

  She nodded with that sweet smile of hers. Her eyes sparkled as she gazed into my eyes. “I would like to do it again.”

  I smiled back at her and closed my eyes. I inch closer until I felt her soft lips against mine. I’m not sure how long the kiss lasted, but it wasn’t long before the door slammed open and we pulled away. I turned towards the door, eyes wide and afraid to see her parents, but no, it was Jung Jin. I glared at her. Way to ruin our moment!

  “You’re home!” She exclaimed and pulled Ji Min away from me. She glared back at me and stuck her tongue out once again. “Now, you go home and kiss a pillow instead!” She exclaimed and shut the door in front of my face for the third time. There is certainly something wrong with that girl.

  I smiled at myself as I remembered that day.

  I was now standing in front of my classroom. It wasn’t empty, but not a lot of students were in there. Jung Min wasn’t in there as she was probably talking to her friends. I sat on my desk and took out my notebook, scribbling whatever came into my mind. I still had thirty minutes before class would start.

  As I was drawing a bunny, I felt a presence near me. I looked up to see Yong Guk standing next to me. I look back at my drawing. “What do you want?” I spat.

  “I want to talk to you.”

  “Well, I don’t.” I felt betrayed. My best friend stole the girl I loved, and that’s certainly something you can’t forgive so easily.

 “Himchan, stop being so stubborn.”

  I just burst after those words. I stood on my chair, causing it to skid and tip on the ground. “I wouldn’t be so stubborn if you didn’t take the girl of my dreams! You knew I loved her, so why did you steal her from me? Why are you loving her the way I wasn’t able to when I was with her? Why does she seem so happy to be with you more than she did with me? I thought we were best friends, Yong Guk, but you took her. You took the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.” I could feel tears streaming down my cheeks, but I didn’t dare to wipe them away. My vision may be blurry, but I could see students staring at us and Yong Guk was shocked by my outburst.

  “You know I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

  “Shut up.”

  He flinched by my words, but shut up.

  “Get out of here.” I continued to spat. “I don’t want to see your face for the rest of the day. I don’t even want to see you in this classroom ever again! If you want to talk to Ji Min, go somewhere else just not here while I’m around!” I sat back down on my seat and rested my head on my desk.

  When I was sure he was gone, I raised my head. Still finding students staring at me, I glared and screamed, “What are you looking at?”

  They all returned to their usual activities after that.

♥♥♥

  When lunch time came, I decided to eat alone in the classroom while everyone else ate somewhere else. I took out my lunch I brought for today and started eating. Just when I took my fifth bite, I heard a voice next to me.

  “I heard what you did this morning.”

  It was Jung Jin.

  I look up and swallowed what I had in my mouth. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

  “It is! You’re starting to lose yourself, Himchan! I think you’re going too deep into this. I don’t want you to lose yourself. I miss the happy and cheerful you, so please let my sister go…” She paused, “There might be someone else out there who’s watching you and wanting to tell you they love you.”

  “Yeah? Who? Who’s this person you’re talking about?” I felt bitter. I didn’t want anyone to be here with me, but yet, here’s Jung Jin saying that someone is in love with me.

  “I-I can’t say.”

  I rolled my eyes. Of course she can’t say because it’s not true. “Just leave me alone and eat lunch with your friends.” I took another bite of my lunch.

  “I want to eat with you though. I’m scared that those girls will come back because they kept staring at me today.” She fumbled with her fingers, “And I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come over at my house tomorrow. My parents will be out and my sister will be on a date.”

 Tomorrow was Friday and that was the day I wanted to be with Ji Min but Yong Guk already asked her out. I sighed through my nose since I didn’t want her to be home alone. She may be in high school, but it doesn’t hurt to be protective. “Sure. I’ll go over.”

  She smiled softly. Pulling a chair, she sat next to me and got out her lunch. “We could watch a movie together or play some video games like before. Or we could do something different!” Jung Jin exclaimed like a little child.

  I ruffled her hair. “We’ll do whatever you like.”

  She blushed for a moment before slapping my hand away. “We better! I don’t want to hear you talk about Ji Min at all at the house! I want you to forget about her and think about the happy times, okay?”

  I bit my bottom lip. She makes it sound so easy. “Okay. Fine.”

  Ji Min took a bite off her lunch and spoke with full, “And whatever you do, please don’t offer to cook.”

  “Huh? Why not? I’m pretty good at it!”

  “No you’re not! You think you are, but you’re not!” She exclaimed.

  “Lies!” I’m sure it’s a lie because I always cook for them when I was Ji Min’s boyfriend and they haven’t complained one bit. Also, I cooked for my parents occasionally and they enjoyed my cooking! There’s something wrong with this girl!

  She giggled. “I’m just kidding. We’re definitely going to bake some cookies tomorrow.”

  I wrap an arm around her for the second time today and flicked her forehead. “Whatever we do, I hope it won’t cause any trouble.”

  “It won’t! I promise!”

  I hope so. I hope by the time the day ends on Friday, I wouldn’t see Ji Min with Yong Guk. I hope their parents come before they do that way it wouldn’t be awkward. I wonder what tomorrow would be like.