Day 1

Five Days of Spring

  Day 1:

  It was lunch time and I stayed behind, watching as my classmates left the room to head to the cafeteria or outside. I saw Ji Min, my previous girlfriend, leave her seat last and head out the door. I stood and started trailing behind her, but not too close. I was just enough to be arm length apart.

  She must have felt my presence since she stopped and turned around. “Himchan, what do you want?”

  I dropped my gaze to the floor and fiddled with my fingers. I wanted to say, “I want you to come back to me,” but I knew that wouldn’t happen, so instead, I said, “Do you want to eat with me today?”

  Her eyes turned sad. “Himchan, I’m sorry, but we’re over and I’m eating with Yong Guk today. Maybe next time.” With those words, she went back to her path to the cafeteria.

  I heaved a sigh and headed towards the cafeteria, slowly. I didn’t want to catch up with Ji Min since she declined my offer earlier and she would probably be with Yong Guk when I do see her.

  As I was nearing the cafeteria when I heard a voice call my name. “Himchannie! Wait for me!”

  I spun around to see Ji Min’s younger sister coming up to me with a bright smile on her face. She was running up to me, carrying her panda lunchbox in her hand while a bag slung over her shoulders. Every lunch time, she would always bring something to do while eating. When she was close, her feet moved faster than she thought and she practically fell right in front of me.

  I stared at her unmoving figure. Just when I was about to help her, her head shot up. I jumped from the sudden movement and scolded her, “This is why you don’t run in the hallways, Jung Jin!”

  She made a face and stood right up, placing a hand on her hips while swinging her panda lunchbox around. “I’m okay! And look, I still have my food in my hands!” She giggled.

  While she was distracted, I snatched the lunchbox from her hand.

  “Hey! That’s not cool!”

  I shrugged, not really caring. “Now let’s see what you have in here today.” I turned around and started walking to the cafeteria while I was opening her lunchbox.

  “Himchan!” Jung Jin whined while she met with my pace. “That’s my food and you don’t need to know what’s inside!”

  I smirked and still opened it anyways. I noticed her portion was bigger than usual. “Why do you have so much? You should be watching your figure since you’re going to be a lady someday!” I waved a finger at her.

  Her eyes fell to the ground. “I heard you and my sister broke up last week and I noticed you weren’t eating normally so I brought extra to share with you,” she muttered quietly, “And I also thought that by today you would at least be a bit happy, but it looks like you’re still sad.”

  I gulped as I felt a sting in my heart. It was true. I couldn’t let go of Ji Min and wasn’t taking care of myself properly. I didn’t want to break up, but she did because she found someone else. She found someone who could make her heart beat faster than what I could do.

  I chew on my bottom lip and closed the lid. Handing it back to her, I said, “I guess I’ll eat with you today, but where do you want to eat? I kind of want to eat outside.” After all, Ji Min and Yong Guk were in the cafeteria, and I don’t want to see them together. They started dating yesterday, but it seemed like they’ve been together for at least a month!

  A soft smile crept on her lips. “Okay. Let’s eat at the roof. I don’t think there are a lot of people up there.” Jung Jin started towards the nearest stairs and I followed right behind her, taking a second glance towards the direction of the cafeteria.

  Ji Min, why did you have to leave me?

  At the rooftop, we found a few students eating at their own spots. We managed to find a spot next to the railings. I looked down to see more students eating outside. I found Jung Jin sitting down already and taking out her food. She looked up at me with a smile and offered her food. “Go ahead and take some.”

  I sat next to her and opened my mouth. “You have to feed me.”

  She made a face, but giggled. “Fine.” She took a piece of her food and forced it into my mouth.

  I nearly choked and swallowed it whole. “What was that for?! I could have choked, you know! Do you want me dead?!” I bet she did that on purpose just to get on my nerves. She loved doing that to me in the past.

  “Maybe I do want you dead.”

  My eyes widened. “Get over here!” I grabbed her and squeezed her tight in my arms. “Without me, you would have never met Jongup!” That was her previous boyfriend, but they broke up because he had to move to another country and they didn’t want a long distance relationship.

  Jung Jin pushed me and straightened herself. “Well, I would have met him either way because he was in my class, so ha!”

  “But, you wouldn’t have the courage to speak to him until I introduced him to you.”

  She blushed. “Oh, shut up! I can handle things by myself.”

  “Aw, you’re growing up!” I tried hugging her again, but she stood up and kicked my knee. “Ouch! What was that for?!” I yelled at her while rubbing my knee.

  She stuck her tongue out. “You’re an idiot.”

  “You’re a meanie.”

  “At least I know when to stop!”

  “Okay, okay. You win. Now come and sit beside Oppa so we can finish our lunch.” I patted the spot next to me while grabbing the lunchbox in my hands. “How about this time, I feed you?”

  She blushed hard and turned her head away. “I can feed myself!” She snatched the lunchbox out of my hand and started stuffing her face with food.

  “Wait a minute! You’re supposed to give me some!” I tried taking it back, but she kept getting away from me. And that was how lunch was. My mood was up but the moment I entered the classroom, my mood dropped as I saw Yong Guk leaving the room.

  He stopped in front of me while I stopped too. Jung Jin was by my side, staring at us two with a worried expression plastered on her face. She cleared , lessening the tension.

  Yong Guk bowed to us and gave his gummy smile. “Hey, Himchan and Jung Jin.”

  “Hello, Yong Guk!” Jung Jin greeted happily and bowed.

  I didn’t say a word and just stared at him. I couldn’t bring myself to say anything for the fear of having my emotions bursting out of me. I wanted to hit him for taking the girl I loved. We were best friends and he knew I was madly in love with her, but now look, he has the girl that I wanted.

  His eyes dropped to the floor with a sad expression. He let out a small head bow before walking passed us in silence.

  I didn’t even take a single glance back at him as he passed by. The moment he was behind us, I started walking forward to my classroom. I turned my head to Jung Jin and let out a weak smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye, Jung Jin.”

  “Bye, Himchannie.” She bowed and walked away.

  I stepped inside the classroom, finding Ji Min holding onto a note Yong Guk must’ve gave her earlier. She was twirling it in her hands with an admiring smile on her lips. She giggled a little before deciding to open it. Her eyes sparkled as she read what Yong Guk wrote, making it feel like I got shot in the heart. I wanted her to look at me like that again, but I know that won’t happen. She has already fallen deep for Yong Guk in such a short time.

  I came up to Ji Min and greeted, “How was lunch?”

  She jumped, probably not expecting me to be beside her. “Oh, Himchan, it was good.”

  I bit my lip. “What’s that?”

  “It’s a letter from Yong Guk.” She slipped the letter under her desk and stared at me. “How was your lunch? I heard you were with my sister.”

  I nodded.

  “Did you have fun?”

  “I did.” But not as much fun as I would have with you. I want you back. Can’t you see that? Suddenly the bell rang to end lunch and everyone started coming in to their seats. “I’ll see you later.” I bowed and headed to my desk which was on the other side of the room from her. I lay my head down and heaved a sigh. Ji Min. I want you back. Please come back to me.