Sharing Secrets

Blinded

Jiyong's head was swimming with questions. He also gave Daesung quite a scare when he tumbled out of the closet and remained sprawled on the ground. Jiyong was a little surprised at that high pitched squeak that came out of Daesung's mouth.

"Hyung!" Daesung cried as he dropped to his knees to help his partner up. However, Jiyong refuse to budge. He felt content with lying on the ground and staring up at the ceiling, watching the fan turning lazily above him. It was mezmerizing, like he was being hypnotized.

"Daesung-ah," Jiyong murmered after awhile. How was Youngbae blinded, was what he wanted to ask, but his eyes drooped to a close before the words were able to leave his mouth.

___<( ._.)>___<(^0^)>___<( >-<)>____<( ; _ ; )>

Youngbae liked going to photoshoots, even thought it could be a bit overwhelming at times. It was constantly a noisy affair, one filled with people rushing to and fro with props, clothes, whatever was needed for the shoot to be perfect. The room was filled with the sound of cameras flashing, the photographer yelling out ideas, and the models giving their input on certain shots.

At first, when Youngbae came to visit, he always felt like he shouldn't be there. Seunghyun invited him out for lunch all of the time. It was a daily occurance, in fact. But whenever they were about to leave, someone would always have a question to ask or one more task for him to do, and so he'd spend extra time doing this or that, and Youngbae would just wait there, awkwardly.

It didn't take long for people to notice and ask questions. Not surprisingly, none of the questions were ever directed towards him. People avoided him like the plague. They were scared to get close, thinking that he was just this poor blind person that was made out of glass or that they'd catch his blindness or something.

Seunghyun was always bombarded with questions. How does he eat? Get dressed? Cook? Clean? Use his phone? Go to the bathroom? And Seunghyun would always say, "Why don't you ask him?" but no one ever does. Finally one day, he decided that enough was enough.

After one person asked, "How does he get here by himself everyday?" as Seunghyun was walking down the hallway to an awaiting Youngbae, he smiled at them, cupped a hand around his mouth and yelled, "YOUNGBAE-AH, HOW DO YOU GET HERE EVERY DAY?" from across the hallway.

Everyone pretty much stopped in their tracks. They were surprised that the handsome, Mr. Walking-Statue-of-Good-Looks-named-Choi-Seunghyun just yelled like that.

"APPARENTLY, THEY THINK YOU'RE DEAF TOO BECAUSE THEY NEVER DIRECTLY ASK YOU ANY OF THEIR QUESTIONS," Seunghyun yelled from across the hall.

"Hyung, it's embarressing," Youngbae said.

"WHAT?"

Even the workers felt bad for Youngbae and could clearly see his embarressment over his loud hyung as he repeatedly asked his hyung to quiet down, but was always ignored. Finally, someone said, "Hey, the kid's embarressed enough. I'm fifty some years old and even I can hear him asking you to quiet down."

With this, Seunghyun smiled and starting walking towards Youngbae again.

"Good. Now that you have clearly seen that Youngbae is not deaf and that he can talk too, why don't you ask him the question you just asked me?" he said.

The same man that spoke up before, did so again. "How do you get here everyday?" he asked, somewhat reluctantky. Everyone was expecting some cool story about traversing the busy streets of Seoul so often as a young, blind child that he knew every twist and turn like the back of his hand or something like that, but his answer was a lot more simplistic than that.

"I took the bus," Youngbae answered with a shrug.

And ever since then, Youngbae was like an extension of the company. Well, more specifically an extension of Seunghyun.

"Youngbae, what are you doing here?" someone asked. From the sound of her voice and the smell of her perfume, he knew it was Kim Eun Soo, the noona that was in charge of the advertising department.

"Weren't you and Seunghyun suppose to be out of here ages ago?" she asked.

"We got a little delayed, so we're staying late to finish up the shots," Youngbae explained. He heard Eunsoo walk away for a moment, probably to confirm for herself that Seunghyun was still there, and she was by his side again a few minutes later.

"Youngbae, Seunghyun wants you to head out first," Eunsoo informed him. "At this rate, they won't be finished until midnight."

"Oh," Youngbae said, not all that surprised. "Okay, I'll just head out first then."

"Be careful, it's dark out!"

"I'll manage," Youngbae replied. Night, day, it didn't make much of a difference because for him, he lived in a state of eternal darkness.

___<( ._.)>___<(^0^)>___<( >-<)>____<( ; _ ; )>

When Jiyong opened his eyes next, he felt totally refreshed. Someone (and he had a firm idea on who) kindly gave him a pillow to rest on and draped a light blanket on him as he slept. He was thankful for Daesung who allowed him to get a good seven hours of sleep in their studio.

The studio was dark, save for the rays of light from the hallway that seeped through the partially closed blinds. Outside, the sky was already darkening with nightfall approaxhing.

Rubbing his eyes, Jiyong slowly stood up and stretched the tiredness out of him. Sleeping on the floor is a great way to familiarize yourself with your new job, he thought. He actually felt more at ease in his new workplace, though it was probably due to the fact that he gave his tensed and tired body time to rest. When he glanced at his phone, he saw that it was nearing eight thirty.

He should have been gone half an hour ago.

"Oh, you're up." Jiyong jumped in surprise, which was followed by another shriek of surprise, a loud thump, a crashing sound, and then silence.

Jiyong hurriedly flicked on the lights and stared angrily at the figurw on the floor.

"What the hell Daesung? You scared me!" Jiyong cried as he took in the sight of Daesung sprawled on the ground next to a pile of books and paper he knocked over.

"Hyung, you were the one that scared me." Daesung replied as Jiyong bent down to help him clean up the mess.

"I think you scared yourself." "That's...that's also true," Daesung admitted. Jiyong thought he was joking, but another look at Daesung told him that the younger was truly scared.

"Hey, Daesungie, deep slow breaths, okay?" Jiyong whispered soothingly as he watched the panic leave Daesung's face.

"Thanks. I just...I.....Thanks." Daesung mumbled.

Jiyong was worried about Daesung, but the younger assured him that he was fine. He told him to go home, which Jiyong was reluctant to do considering Daesung basically did his work for him when he was asleep. After much bantering back and forth, Jiyong left with a promise to repay Daesung by buying him dinner and going out for drinks next time.

The building was mostly empty by the time Jiyong left,although as he passed the advertising department, he could still see cameras going off and hear people talking.

He was planning on going straight home, but as he approached the lobby area, he stopped in his tracks. Exiting the building was the blind guy from earlier.

Youngbae.

Just remembering what happened between them had Jiyong feeling guilty again. He walked slowly towards the doors, deciding that no matter what happens, he would apologize and deal with the consequences. The apology was in the midst of transferring from his brain to his mouth with the words already forming on his lips when a phone rang.

It wasn't his phone.

"Jin Han, I'll be there soon," Youngbae answered, without even a hello. He must of been absolutely certain of who the caller was because he did not hesitate to answer. In a quieter voice, he continued the conversation. "I'm free for a few hours, hyung is staying late for work. I know it's in a few days, we'll be ready by then." Pause. "I'll be ready by then."

And then Youngbae disconnected the call and left the building.

___<( ._.)>___<(^0^)>___<( >-<)>____<( ; _ ; )>

Jiyong didn't know what he was doing. Well, he knew what he was doing, but not why. Trailing a blind person through the unfamiliar streets of Seoul wasn't even something he'd ever dream of doing, until today.

He followed a few meters behind Youngbae, walking in the shadows, close to things he could hide behind (he knew that Youngbae could never see him, but he wasn't so sure after the strange situation with his brother earlier).

At this time of day, many people were being let out of work and most were still walking along the street, trying out different night time food vendors, and talking about thei day with friends. It would be difficult for Youngbae to hear his footsteps with so much going on.

One thing that he noticed after they left his workplace to follow Youngbae was the fact that Youngbae took out a collapsable walking cane that was hidden somewhere (or was he holding it all along?) once he was out on the streets. Why wasn't he using ot earlier? Jiyong wondered.

When they came across an intersection, Jiyong instantly became worried. How would he cross the street? But his worries were for nothing because Youngbae was fully capable of crossing the street on his own, to Jiyong's surprise. 

He wasn't entirely sure of a blind person's capabilities because he has never encountered someone who was blind before. 

After walking along the street for awhile, Youngbae suddenly ducked into an alleyway. Jiyong rushed to keep up with him. The sudden increase in speed was unexpected, and as they walked further away from the busy street, Jiyong couldn't follow Youngbae as closely as he had been doing before, fearing that he would be heard. youngbae had put away his guide stick by then, and he navigated through a series of twist and turns in the narrow alleyway with familiarty. 

Jiyong swore silently as he struggled to keep up with Youngbae. 

 

He couldn't believe he followed him this far, and tried to justify his actions by saying that he only needed to apologize, but that still wouldn't explain why he hadn't simply called out his name to stop him earlier. 

A second or two later, just as he was thinking that he'd lose him, Youngbae stopped. Subsequently, Jiyong stopped also. He tried hard to calm his breathing (and was slightly irritated that youngbae was barely winded), and looked at his surroundings. They were far away from the crowded main streets and deep within a part of Seoul he had yet to see. The buildings around here were slightly run down and everything looked like it had it's own layer of grime. 

It was definitly not a place he would have wanted to be in at the moment. 

 

Youngbae had stopped next to a small bulding that looked like it used to be a much larger building until someone decided to tear it down and then stopped midproccess. 

Youngbae entered the building. Jiyong waited ten seconds, and then followed. Upon entering, he was in the middle of a landing with a staircase leading up and one leading down. Jiyong went to the one on his right and followed the staircase down until he was met with two large, metal doors. he could faintly hear something from the otherside, but wasn't sure what it was. 

For some reason, he felt the need to gather some courage, and he did so. With a good push, he went through the door and was blasted with sounds from all sides. Different music was blaring from various personal stereos, and a mob of people were talking, and moving all at once in this apparently underground parking lot. The place was lit up with strong lights along the walls, wirings all along the edge of the parking lot leading to who knows where. The air was humid from the mix of lights and human sweat as people all around him were dancing. He watched people pop and lock, break and dougie, and even do some gymnastic moves with mats on the ground. 

Everyone was too busy to notice him as he searched for Youngbae and it didn't take long to find him. He could see him walking towards another boy in a secluded corner, who was shouting his name. 

In the back of his mind, he knew Seungri must be worried and that he accomplished his goal of finding out Youngbae's destination, but something told him to stay a little longer. he watched as Youngbae and the other guy greeted each other, exchanging smiles and bro hugs. After a moment of quick discussion, the other guy his stereo and started dancing. 

It seemed like youngbae was watching the guy (again, he was doubting the whole blindness thing), and for a minute Jiyong thought that all Youngbae came here to do was to support a friend (the phone call came to mind again) but after a few minutes, Youngbae jumped in. 

Never had Jiyong witness such  smooth and intricate dancing in all of his life. For a person who couldn't see youngbae moved like a he loved to dance and was good at it. 

If being blind was what it took to be an amazing dancer, Jiyong figured many would have blinded themselves purposefully years ago. 

___<( ._.)>___<(^0^)>___<( >-<)>____<( ; _ ; )>

Sorry for the uber late update T-T

Please be all forgiving.