Life Changing

Blinded

The call was sudden and unexpected. After Jiyong left, Daesung swung by the advertising department to proof read a new promotional poster that was going to be displayed in Incheon Airport in a few weeks. He had barely finished reading the fine print at the bottom of the poster when the sound of his phone ringing in the otherwise silent room nearly startled him out of his seat.

"Hello?" he answered uncertaintly, wondering who could be calling him at such an hour.

"Is this Kang Daesung-ssi?" a female voice asked. "Kwon Jiyong's co-worker?"

He sat up a little straighter in his chair, his brows furrowing with worry.

"Yes, I'm his partner. Is there something wrong?" Daesung asked.

"We'd like to inform you that Kwon Jiyong was just involved in a car accident. We are unable to get a hold of a family member and he named you as an emergency contact."

"Jiyong-hyung? Accident?! Which hospital?" Daesung asked the questions in rapid succession. The woman quickly gave him the hospital name and the street address. That's not so far from here, he thought to himself as he ended the call and shot up to his feet, a ball of worry settling itself in his stomach.

He quickly starting making his way to the front of the building, where the main doors were, when he saw a group of people walking past him and murmuring to each other in quiet voices. He recognized one of the employees as his friend Kim Soo Jin and he quickly pulled her aside and asked what all of the fuss was about.

"Didn't you hear?" she whispered. "There was some sort of accident on the street right outside of our building! We were in the middle of a conversation with manager Choi Seunghyun when his phone suddenly rang and he shot up to his feet and left! Some people are saying that it has something to do with Youngbae."

As they were talking, they had reached the main entrance to their building.  Daesung could clearly see the flashing lights of emergency vehicles and the crowd that had already gathered around the scene.

He exited the building and saw first hand the scene of the accident. His stomach turned as he viewed the crumpled car, a broken light post, and several bystanders who crowded around the scene, held back only by the police officers that were trying to disperse the crowd. 

"Christ," Daesung muttered under his breath, heart pounding as he wondered if this was the accident that Jiyong got himself in.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a familiar tall figure speaking with a police officer. He was clearly frustrated and there was a sense of urgency and desperation in his voice that couldn't be missed.

"Please sir, I need to be able to get to my car. It's urgent!" Choi Seunghyun cried, for once displaying something other than his cool and chic persona.

"I'm sorry sir, this street is blocked off due to the accident. Once the emergency crew finishes their job and the towing company arrives to remove the vehicle and clean up any remaining debris, then you will be able to access your vehicle and drive on this street," the officer explained. For once, Daesung was glad that he had to park his car a couple of blocks away from his workplace due to to the limited amount of parking space and the costly fee of parking in a parking garage. There was an unspoken rule that most of of the free parking spaces closer to the building were reserved for the more highly ranked employees and those that had worked for the company for quite some time, such as Seunghyun. No parking spaces were alloted for errandboys like Daesung or Jiyong.

Disregarding the apprehension of speaking to Seunghyun again, Daesung approached the older man and interrupted his futile conversation.

"Hyung, I can bring you. My car is parked a few blocks over," Daesung offered, surprised that he was able to say that in a calm manner. A look of relief fell upon Seunghyun's face and he thanked Daesung for his generosity. As they made their way to the car, the older man asked Daesung how he knew where he needed to go as the younger rambled off the hospital's address. They had just reached the car and both were buckling themselves in when Daesung explained the call that he received for Jiyong and Seunghyun's face went rigid. It was a moment too late when Daesung realized that he might have just said something that he shouldn't have said. He opened his mouth to try and retract his statement and salvage the situation when Seunghyun growled at him to "Shut up and drive."

Daesung closed his mouth and did exactly as he was told.

That was how he ended up in a hospital, running after a model that looked as if he had jumped fresh out of the pages of a magazine, praying to God that he didn't just end Jiyong's short career or worse.


Youngbae heard two distinct sounds before it happened. One was the disconcerting squeal of a car coming to a sudden halt. Rubber against pavement, a foot coming down hard on the brakes, a horrified driver. That was what Youngbae imagined when the noise assulted his left ear. The other sound was not as loud, but just as dramatic. It was the sound of someone rushing up to him from behind, of heavy footfalls against the pavement that made his muscles tense in fear and in preparation of physical contact. It was the sound of someone running at him at full speed and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end because he knew he was going to be too late to react. It was one of his greatest fears, of being mugged or attacked while he was out on the streets. He didn't tell anyone, but he was always afraid that someone would try to use his blindness to their advantage. He didn't want to seem weak or needy, didn't want Seunghyun to worry, didn't want to be pitied, so he never said a word. But the fear blossomed in his chest as he felt a hand grasp his shoulder and the symphony of sounds came to an abrupt halt for just a moment.

One second later, their was an explosion of sound and motion as he was pulled to the ground and the screeching car sounds gave way to the twinkle of shattered glass and the cries of pain. Youngbae fell on his side and cried out in pain as he bit down on his tongue and scraped his chin on asphalt as a result. The irony taste of blood filled his mouth and he coughed at the smell of car exhaust and gasoline that filled the air. He spat the blood out of his mouth and his dry lips out of habit and fear. He did not try to get up from his spot. His brain felt jarred from the impact and he couldn't regain his sense of direction. What had happened? What about Jiyong? The car driver? God, is anyone hurt? , he didn't know what was going on, what was happening, or anything.

He was scared.

Youngbae's ears perked up at the sound of voices and screams. Someone was calling for help. He was about to speak up to call for help himself when sirens could be heard in the distance and growing nearer and nearer.

A bustle of movement and voices came out of nowhere and soon someone was helping him sit up and another voice was asking him a series of questions. 

Are you okay?

Are you hurt anywhere?

What happened?

His eyes must have seemed dazed and unfocused because another question that was asked was how many fingers am I holding up?

"I don't know...I can't see anything. I'm blind," he replied and Youngbae realized he should have chosen his words more carefully. Before he could explain himself, there was an uproar of panicked voices and the sound of an emergency vehicle pulling up to the scene. The random passerbys that saw or heard the accident passed him on to a different group of people, the paramedics and first responders. He was put into the back of a vehicle and they were soon speeding off to the nearest emergency room, leaving the wreckage and chaos behind them.


Two ambulances were speeding down the highway with a third trailing behind them at a slower place. The driver of the second ambulance swore when he saw a pothole far too late and the emergency medical technician and patient were toss around violently in the back of the vehicle.

"Ya, take it easy!" one of the technicians cried and pounded his fist against the window separating the front and back of the vehicle. 

The patient was jostled awake and Kwon Jiyong groaned as he woke up. There was a brief moment of panic in which he didn't know where he was or why he couldn't move, but the female technician was quick to calm him down and explain the situation. 

"Sir, you were involved in an accident. You have a broken nose, a few superficial cuts and scrapes on your arms and legs, and you have one paticularly bad cut above your eye. It will most likely need stitches," she explained. Her male partner said that they would be arriving at the hospital soon.

"We found you unconscious at the scene next to two other victims. We didn't know if you had any more severe injuries which is why we strapped you to the gurney, to prevent you from injuring yourself more once you came to," the male partner added.

Jiyong blinked a few times to clear his head as he tried to regain his bearings. When did he pass out?

Suddenly, the images of two bodies at his feet flashed in his mind and the thought of one of them being Youngbae...

"Remove the restraints," he murmured, the straps holding him securely to the gurney suddenly feeling much more restrictive than it did a few moments ago.

The female frowned.

"We're almost at the hospital," she assured. "We don't know how extensive your injuries are. Please stay put and -."

"I'm going to vomit," Jiyong announced already feeling the bile rising up in his throat. He closed his eyes in an attempt to dispel the nausea, but that only made the image in his mind grow stronger.

"Quick, remove the restraints and turn him on his side! We don't want him to choke on his vomit!" the male technician cried. Once they removed the restraints, Jiyong didn't wait for them to turn him over. He rolled onto his side himself and promptly vomited over the side of his gurney. 


There was no greater wrath than that of Choi Seunghyun's. He didn't say a word to Daesung when they arrived at the hospital. There was an air of darkness around him that Daesung could not describe, a coldness that could be felt to the bone as he walked past him and continued onwards towards the emergency room. Seunghyun didn't even stop for the nurses that called for him to sign in at the desk before proceeding. He brushed past anyone and everyone that he met along the hallway that lead to his destination. Daesung tried to keep up but it was like trying to keep up with a hurricane: you simply couldn't help being blown away. He tried to bypass the nurse's station but a clipboard and pen were into his face so he blindly signed his name on the line as his eyes watched Seunghyun turn the corner.

As soon as Sunghyun walked through those emergency doors, he saw him. Kwon Jiyong was on the opposite side of the room, nose bloody from the impact with the pavement and skin torn from the fall. His shirt was a bloody mess and a nurse was busy disinfecting his wounds with a cotton swab when he finally caught sight of the figure staring at him from across the room.

Daesung was far too behind to stop Seunghyun from covering the distance between the door and Jiyong in three long strides, push the nurse aside, and grab a handful of Jiyong's bloody shirt.

He could only see the back of the older man's back and the expression on Jiyong's face as the nurse scream and a tray of medical instruments spilled onto the ground, clattering loudly. Daesung couldn't hear what was being said or read the older man's lips since his back was facing towards him, but he did see the look on Jiyong's face and that alone was enough to send chills down his spine. 

He feared the worst and thought that Seunghyun was about to do something he was going to regret, but a familiar voice calling out from nowhere became Jiyong's savior. 

"Hyung."

All eyes were drawn to the speaker of the voice and Seunghyun snapped his head back in search of the owner of that voice.

Across the room, a nurse parted the privacy curtains to reveal the hospital bed that was hidden behind it. Sitting ontop of that bed was non other than Youngbae. He sported a bandage on his chin and had an IV hooked up to his arm, but besides the minor injuries and the mental/physical exhaustion evident on his face, he looked fine. Seunghyun loosened his grip on Jiyong's shirt when he heard the voice and released Jiyong altogether once he saw Youngbae with his own two eyes.

Daesung could have sworn he heard a collective sigh of relief from everyone in the room as Jiyong was let go and Seunghyun bounded across the room in a flash. Seunghyun rushed over to Youngbae's side and engulf the smaller boy in his arms, holding the younger's head close to his chest and letting out deep sighs of relief.

At the same time, Daesung rushed over to Jiyong's side and tried to calm the shell shocked man.

"Hyung, are you okay?" he asked as Jiyong stared blankly at the space that Seunghyun previously occupied. A wave of guilt washed over Daesung as he mentally berated himself for his loose lips earlier with Seunghyun. His poor partner looked terrified. "I'm so sorry, hyung. It was my fault that-." 

"He's okay," whispered Jiyong in disbelief. Daesung watched his hyung in confusion as the older man turned to look him dead in the eye with a grin on his face. "He's fine. Youngbae's okay, Daesung-ah!"

And Daesung could hardly contain his surprise and Jiyong threw his arms around him and pulled him into a hug. At that moment, Daesung could do nothing more but to pat Jiyong's back as a police officer and a doctor came into the emergency area that was in a frenzy only moments ago. From across the room, Daesung watched Seunghyun murmuring words into Youngbae's ears even as he was being escorted out of the room by a police officer. A part of him was in awe at the gentleness and concern in which Seunghyun interacted with Youngbae and that version of Seunghyun was clashing violently with the cold, vindictive, and chic personality of the Choi Seunghyun he thought he knew. He realized that there were many facets to the gem that was Choi Seunghyun and that he had yet to see the face of each side. He also realized something about Jiyong, but he promised to bring it up at a later time when this whole hospital incident is behind them. 


Jiyong would learn later that the accident was truly that; an accident. The driver was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs. A police investigation into the matter revealed that a broken gear shift and a panicked driver lead to the car barelling onto the sidewalk and into the light post that prevented the car from destroying a small convenient store in from of it. Because the driver was not wearing their seatbelt, he was ejected through the windshield and sustained more serious injuries, along with one other passenger from the scene. Jiyong was just greatful that he and Youngbae were safe and all parties declined to pursue any lawsuits in regards to the driver and the accident, however he has heard that the driver was going to try and sue the car company he purchased his vehicle from for the faulty gear shift in his car.

Jiyong was released from the emergency room relatively quickly after receiving treatment, but he found himself wandering the hallways of a different area of the hospital three days after his release. He quickly found room three sixty-four and awkwardly rapped on the door with his knuckles before entering the room with a small bundle of flowers in his hand. 

"Am I interrupting?" he asked the patient that was reclined on his hospital bed and clicking his TV remote out of boredom. 

"Not at all," answered Han Yoo Jin, the man who pushed him out of the way of the car, inadverdantly sparing him from receiving more serious injuries. 

Yoo JIn saw what he was holding and pointed to the empty counter surface at the foot of his bed underneath the TV. Jiyong placed his flowers where Yoo Jin indicatd, noticing that there was already a small vase of flowers on the small table next to Yoo JIn's bed. 

"Youngbae bring you those?" he asked, to which Yoo Jin nodded in the affirmative. 

It didn't take long for Jiyong to figure out that the Han Yoo Jin that saved his life was also the friend that Youngbae had mentioned to him back in Park Bom's restaurant, the "Jin Han" that he saw the blind man dancing with in that abandoned parking garage weeks ago. After realizing that Youngbae was not the second body he saw on the ground besides the driver, and therefore not the man that had saved his life, Jiyong quickly asked around for the man's name in order to give him his sincere thanks. Yoo Jin went into surgery the same day that Jiyong himself was released, with Youngbae folliwng a day later in order to make sure that the accident didn't agitate his blindness in anyway, even with the minimal injuries he sustained. After being moved into a private room following his surgery, Jiyong paid him a visit, offering his most sincere thanks when Yoo Jin blatantly told him that he didn't intentionally save Jiyong. 

"Don't thank me. At that moment, I was only thinking about getting to Youngbae in time," Yoo Jin confessed in a somewhat distant and emotionless tone. "You were simply in the way."

Yoo Jin said it in such a casual and matter of fact manner that Jiyong was momentarily silent. He took a moment to absorb the blunt admission before deciding to thank the man again anyways.

"Thank you," he repeated. 

"For what? I didn't do it for you," Jin Woo replied dismissively, clearly not wanting to interact with him at all.

"For doing it for Youngbae," he said. "And for being a good friend and dance partner for him as well."

There was a moment of silence as they both sat there staring each other down, until Yoo Jin broke into a toothy grin and smiled. 

It was childish of him, but he felt like he was finally a member of the secret club and he no longer worried about keeping a secret that wasn't his to keep in the first place. From that moment on, Jiyong knew that he had a friend in Han Yoo Jin not because the man had saved his life, but because they both knew the same blind man. 

"There's a big competition in a few weeks and our team is down a member now," Yoo Jin said, patting the cast on his left leg for emphasis. "Youngbae needs a new partner and I did save your life and all..."

He knew it was stupid for him to say yes, but he nodded his head in acceptance anyways. 


Sorry for the long wait! I anticipated more updates, but my new job has me busier than I thought I would be. Also, congrats to Youngbae and his relationship! I only wish the best for him and ask that Min Hyo Rin protect uri Youngbae's heart because he's precious! To all of those who worry about whether i will continue my stories, please don't because i do plan on continuing my stories like I had promised.