Acceptance

Blinded

Han Yoo Jin is actually an extremely nice guy. Sure, his default expression seems to be one of extreme disatisfaction and he always seems to be glaring daggers at people, but his eyes light up when someone mentions anything to do with dance and he has an extremely cute pug named Sarang, whom he obviously adores. 

Jiyong also finds Sarang adorable, but much to his dismay, Sarang doesn't seem to like him much. He found that out right away when he had barely stepped foot into Yoo Jin's house and the little puppy scrambled over and greeted him by taking a mouthful of his jeans. When he crouched down and tried to gently pull the puppy away from him, Sarang snapped at him everytime his hands got close to her before latching her teeth onto his jeans again.  Jiyong offered to open the door since Yoo Jin needed both arms to support himself on his cruches, so it wasn't until Yoo Jin hobbled through the doorway that Sarang finally stopped trying to tear Jiyong's pant leg into shreds and she happily sauntered over to her owner, his cast in greeting. 

"Good girl," Yoo Jin murmured while petting her head slightly and Sarang barked twice in response. Jiyong took a moment to inspect his jeans while Yoo Jin made his way over to the couch. After sitting down comfortably, Sarang clawed her way up the arm rest and onto Yoo Jin's lap. When Jiyong tried to sit down on the opposite end of the couch, Sarang growled menacingly, but a gentle shush from her owner quickly calmed her. She sat down so that her head was facing away from Jiyong and Jiyong couldn't help but think that she did it on purpose.

"So," Yoo Jin started. "You know how to dance, right?" 

"My friend likes to dance in his free time. He used to do competitions and stuff when he was young, but he does it less now due to work. He made me practice with him all the time." 

Truthfully, Jiyong was interested in dance even before he met Seungri as a teen, but the moment Seungri found out that he was better than him at something Jiyong was actually interested in, Seungri did everything in his power to remind him of the fact. So Jiyong practiced, mostly by himself, so that he could keep up with Seungri whenever he came around and asked him to run through a routine with him. He couldn't swallow his pride enough to ever admit that to Seungri's face though. His ego is big enough as it is. 

"It's great that you have experience, but practicing is a lot different than competing and on top of that, you need to learn how to dance with Youngbae." Jin Han reached forward to grab a remote off of his coffee table. With a push of the button, the TV and the screen was filled with a slightly blurry image of two dancers that Jiyong recognized as Youngbae and Jin Han right away. They were both dressed in casual clothes in a small practice room, different from the parking garage from before. It was an older video Jiyong noticed. The quality of the video wasn't as crisp as today's standard and he could still see the childish roundness of Youngbae's face. His hair was longer and Jiyong's eyes were also drawn to a piercing on Youngbae's left eyebrow, something that obviously did not stand the test of time. Video Jin Han looked similar to his modern day counter part, only shorter and a bit chubbier. Both boys looked serious as they started dancing in the video, though there was no sound. 

The video itself was a series of cuts from their past dance practices over the years, Jiyong realized. The beginning was heavily edited and full of cuts. One moment the two were dancing and the next, they were arguing with each other. The next cut showed them dancing to the same choreo again, but in different clothes, signifying a different day. The one after that showed another new day, but different choreo and a different room. One time, the camera wasn't in focus when the video was shot, so all they could see were two human sized blobs on the screen and blurry movement. There was also a cut where the camera fell off of it's tripod/stand and Yoo Jin rushed over to fix it. Jiyong watched as Youngbae and Jin Han aged slowly before his eyes. As the video caught up to present day, the shots were much longer and their dancing more uniformed and refined. There were less fights (or at least less fights that were caught on camera) and more frequent cuts of Yoo Jin stopping to say something to Youngbae or to walk over and adjust his movements with a guiding hand. The video came to an end with a shot that Jiyong recognized. He could easily identify the dingy looking underground parking lot with the weird lighting and the other people dancing in the background. 

When the video ended, the screen went black and Yoo Jin turned to face Jiyong. 

"I started dancing with Youngbae when I was nineteen and he was seventeen. It's been eight years since then; you just watched eight years of progress in less than a half hour. You need to accomplish in two weeks what took Youngbae and I eight years to do and that is learn how to dance with his handicap." Yoo Jin paused. Eight years. It took Yoo Jin and Youngbae eight years to be able to dance as good as they do now and to build the sort of comraderie and understanding it took to for them to work together so well. Jiyong, on the other hand, hasn't even competed in a competition; hell, he doesn't even know if what he and Youngbae had could be called anything other than 'casual acquaintences'. There was an extended silence as Jiyong took a moment to allow the information to sink in. 

Yoo Jin looked off into space, obviously distracted by his own thoughts. He absent mindedly continued to Sarang's back gently as he spoke.

"This means a lot to both me and Youngbae. So, if you're not serious about the offer, just leave."

There was an edge to Yoo Jin's tone that surprised him, the kindness that Jiyong had come to expect from him was replaced with a coldness that matched his image.This was so much more than Jiyong had anticipated. Why did he let himself barrel head first into a situation that he knew so little about? If it meant so much to Youngbae and Yoo Jin, should he even offer to help when he knew he wasn't good enough? At the same time, wouldn't he be ensuring that the opprotunity would be lost if he didn't agree to help? Youngbae had even went through great lengths to keep this past time a secret from Seunghyun; he didn't want to commit to something that he wasn't even sure if he was able to do. He didn't want to let Youngbae down. Jiyong was prepared to voice his second thoughts, but was interrupted by Yoo Jin's out of the blue statement. 

"You really like Youngbae, don't you?"

If Yoo Jin's reaction was anything to go by, Jiyong's open mouth expression of shock was hilarious. Yoo Jin laughed so hard that he even jostled Sarang a bit, who had fallen asleep in his lap. The puppie barked her disapproval and growled a bit at her owner, who was doubled over from laughter.

"I...T-That's...What are you even saying?" Jiyong stuttered. "I don't!" 

"Haha, yeah," Yoo Jin murmured, wiping the tears of laughter away from his eyes. "You don't even know how hard you've fallen." 

How could Jiyong answer without making it more obvious that he liked Youngbae? Even he couldn't deny it now. 

Yoo Jin shook Jiyong's shoulder with one arm and then patted his back good naturedly. 

"I was there to witness your little run in with Youngbae before the accident, how you blatantly neglected to ask him the obvious question of why was he there and what was he doing; instead, you asked if he was going home and offered to walk him there. It all makes sense now, why you didn't rat him out when you knew his secret, why you weren't angry at me for saving him instead of you." JIn Han grinned. "You see, I'm like Youngbae's eyes, so I'm extra observant for the both of us. I watch out for things like this, since he obviously can't bear witness to it for himself." 

Everything in his body was telling Jiyong to flee, so he did. He jumped up off of the couch and ran out of Yoo Jin's apartment, too shocked to even realize he left his phone there until he was halfway back to his house. 

Jiyong could no longer ignore it; he had feelings for Youngbae. He could have chalked it up to curiosity for following Youngbae to the parking garage. Daesung's comments about him smiling randomly for no reason were dubious; how could he even see anything through his eye-covering fringe? His own annoyance at Seunghyun's overprotectiveness over Youngbae was a universal feeling, he was sure; Jiyong was just the first to ever voice that annoyance. But it was the accident that really made it clear. When he thought something had happened to Youngbae, the feeling of his heart dropping to his stomach and the despair that even the thought of it being Youngbae on the ground brought him. The thought of losing the chance between them, something he so desperately wanted to have, yet couldn't because of his cowardice. 

When he heard Youngbae's voice call out "hyung" in the emergency room and he was so filled with relief and joy that he pulled Daesung into a teary hug. 

It was undeniable by then. 

With another calming breath, Jiyong turned around and started making his way back to Jin Han's aparment. 


It was embarrising enough to have left the way he did, but now having to come back for his phone made it twice as embarrising. Jiyong was standing outside of the door trying to calm himself enough to face Yoo Jin again with a clear mind when the barrier that seperated him from a world of embarassment crumbled, or rather, was pulled away. The door swung open and he was suddenly face to face with the last person he wanted to see at that moment. 

"Hello?" Youngbae voiced uncertainly, sensing that someone was there at the doorstep just before he was about to step out of Yoo Jin's aparment. Jiyong didn't dare to move or even breathe, hoping against hope that the blind man would just close the door and go back inside the house. "Are you looking for Yoo Jin?" 

"It's me, Jiyongie," Jiyong answered slowly after releasing a deep breath. 

Youngbae's eyebrows nearly disappeared into his hair. 

"Jiyong, what are you doing here?" Youngbae asked, obviously surprised and a little more than nervous about seeing Jiyong outside of Jin Han's place. 

With a false bravery that he gained from the ever increasing embarrasment Jiyong had been feeling a lot lately, he spoke.

"I'm here to be your new dance partner, Youngbae." 

From over Youngbae's shoulder, Jiyong could see Jin Han looking at him with a satisfied smirk on his face. 


Finally, another update!