Hoddeok

A Matter of Taste

6:54.  She wasn't there yet.  He paced around the bakery, and paused at the mirror on the wall.  His hair was in a side part and gelled into place.  He fixed his tie.  He hoped everything that night would go well.  It needed to.  So he could always see Bom.  

7:01.  He was a bit worried, but he knew girls liked to take their time in primping.  He took a seat and stared at the floor, counting the tiles to pass the time.  

7:04.  He heard the door open and looked up.  There she was.  She wore a short blue dress and gold flat shoes.  Her red hair cascaded down her back in soft curls.  She smiled at him.  

"You ready?"

He jumped up.  "Of Course.  You look beautiful."

"Thank You.  But you're a bit overdressed."

He looked down at himself.  Black slacks, dress shoes, a blue button down and a tie.  "I thought we were going out for dinner."

She giggled.  "We are!  But we're on the hunt for street food!  That's where all the good stuff is!"  She walked over to him and took off his tie.  "Hmmm..."  She ed the top button of his shirt, he blushed.  "There!  Now you're ready!  Let's go!"

They went through the streets of Seoul sampling delicious foods from various booths.  Sausage stuffed with rice cake, buttered squid, rice cakes in a spicy chili sauce, and then they got to a booth selling grilled corn.  Bom made a mad dash for the booth and Seunghyun had to run to catch up to her.  

"Oh Seunghyun can we please have some corn?  Pleeeease!?"  

"Oh, sure!  Two please!"  Seunghyun paid for the corn and they both sat down at a nearby table.  Bom was silent as she tore into her corn cob.  When she was halfway done, she looked up at him and smiled with a mouthful of corn.  He had taken one bite of his.  

"Do you not like corn?"

"Oh, I do, but I see you like it much more than I do."  He chuckled.

"Corn is my favorite!!"  She finished off her cob.  "...are you going to finish that?"  

He laughed.  "No, you go ahead."  She finished his cob and then put her head on his shoulder and sighed.  "What?" Seunghyun asked.

She turned her head to look into his eyes.  "I'm just happy we came here tonight.  I've been having a really good time.  I'm also glad I've found a guy I can pig out with." 

Seunghyun smiled.  "You can pig out with me anytime.  Speaking of which, do you still have room for dessert?"

"Of course I do!  But that's more your forte, so you find the next booth."  

Seunghyun scanned the streets, then his eyes honed in on one in particular.  

"Jackpot!"  He grabbed Bom's hand and they ran off toward the booth. 

Bom looked up at the sign.  "Hoddeok!"

"Yup!  They're made with cornmeal, so I figured you would like them."  He winked.  

"Yay!" She clapped her hands together with joy.

Once they had their Hoddeok in hand, they sat next to each other on a bench.  Seunghyun took a bite out of his, and the sticky filling oozed out of the dough.  Bom looked up at him.

"You've got syrup on your face!"  She wiped it off with a napkin.  "There!"

"Are you sure it's gone?  I'm a messy eater."  

Bom leaned in closer to inspect his face when:  "Oh-"

Seunghyun had made his move.  He gave Bom a kiss that was as sweet and tender as the Hoddeok.  He pulled away, but the two stayed with their faces inches away from each other.  Bom opened her eyes and looked into Seunghyun's.  

"That was nice."

He gave a small smile.  "I thought so too."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tee Hee. xP  Fluff Chapter.  I hope you liked it!  More excitement to come in the next chapter though, so enjoy the fluff while you can!  

For those of you that don't know, Hoddeok is a Korean pastry that's flat and filled with a brown sugar based filling that turns into syrup when you grill the cakes.  Here's a great recipie!

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/hoddeok