Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Mascarpone filling

A Matter of Taste

It was 6AM.  The bread was out of the oven and the pastries were all snuggly fitted inside of their case.  The Choi Brothers' bakery was ready for another day.  

"How many cream puffs do we have for today?" asked Dongwook.  

"400."

"Yah!  Why didn't we make more?  You know those are always more popular on weekends."  Seunghyun shrugged.  

"I was busy making those cupcakes with mascarpone filling.  I got distracted."

"Well, it's not my fault if sales aren't as good today."  Dongwook smiled and gave Seunghyun a playful swat with his apron.  "Nah, it's okay man.  Those cupcakes are great.  Where did you find the recipie again?"

"A friend in the states.  She has this big Italian family and those cupcakes are a favorite of theirs."

"Good stuff man.  Well, let's open up and see how they do!"  Seunghyun smiled.  He loved seeing his customers every day.  The regulars were great, but it was always the new ones that got him excited.  He was hoping the mascarpone cupcakes would bring in some new people.  

 

"Hey guys!" A warm greeting came from the door.  

"Dae!"  Daesung was Seunghyun's best friend, besides Dongwook, and came in every morning for a cherry Danish and a cup of coffee.  

"Your usual, Dae?" asked Dongwook.

"Yup!  And I spy a new cupcake that I should take with my lunch!"  He gave Seunghyun a big, toothy grin and chuckled.  "What are those anyway?"

"Vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream and a strawberry mascarpone filling. "

"Ooo that sounds amazing!  Can't wait to try it!"  Dongwook gave Daesung a bag with his danish and cupcake in it, then handed him his coffee.  

"1 cream, 5 sugars.  Just the way you like it." 

"Thanks guys.  I'll see you tomorrow morning, bright and early!"

"Bye Dae!" the boys said in unison.  

 

As the day went by, the creampuffs sold out as Dongwook expected, but the mascarpone cupcakes were still untouched.  Seunghyun looked at them and sighed.  "I guess they weren't such a good idea after all."

"Hey bro, we have about a half hour 'till closing.  I promised my girlfriend I would meet her for dinner.  Can you close up?"

"Sure." 

"Thanks!"  With that, Dongwook grabbed his coat and walked out the door.  

Another fifteen minutes passed, and Seunghyun thought about closing early, when he heard an exicted squeal.

"Cupcakes!" 

She ran to the case and pressed her nose against the glass.  Her friend giggled.  

"Bom, they're cupcakes.  Why do you always get so excited?"

She looked up from the case.  She had long, bright red hair and big round eyes and the cutest button nose you ever saw.  "Because cupcakes are wonderful, cute little packages of sweet creaminess!"

Seunghyun smiled and approached the girls.  "Can I help you with something?"

"These cupcakes look so good!  What flavor are they?"

"Vanilla.  With vanilla buttercream and strawberry mascarpone filling.  They're our newest item."

She jumped up and clapped her hands together.  "That sounds wonderful!  May we try one?"

"Of course."  He took a cupcake from the case and sliced it perfectly in half.  He handed the cupcake to them.  While her friend took a moment to admire the cupcake, the redhead shoved her half completely into .  

"Bom!"  Her friend scolded.  Bom twirled around, closed her eyes and went up on her toes. 

"Mmmmmmmmmm!  This is the best cupcake ever!"  Her speech was slightly muffled, as there was still cupcake in .  She chewed for a moment, eyes still closed, and swallowed.  "I'll take a half dozen!"

Seunghyun was beaming.  Finally his hard work for the day had been recognized.  And he got a cute new customer out of the deal too.  He took 6 cupcakes and wrapped them carefully in a box.  He handed them to Bom and her friend.  

"Thank you so much!"

"No problem at all ladies, please stop by again sometime!"

"Oh, we will, very soon!"  

"Yeah, knowing Bom those cupcakes will disappear by tomorrow!"

"Hey!" Bom smacked her friend Dara on the arm, and they both laughed.  

"Goodbye...oh.  We didn't catch your name!"

"Seunghyun."

"Bye Seunghyun!"  The girls walked out the door and he saw Bom take another cupcake out of the box through the window.  She took a bite, smiled, and waved at him one last time.   He locked the door, shut the blinds, and smiled to himself.  He was happy to find a girl just as excited about sweets as he was.  Hopefully she would come back again so he could talk to her.  

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people!  I hope you liked the first chapter!  This is my first Kpop fanfic so it'll be an adventure for me writing this.  Each chapter will have a new recipie at the end, so here's the recipie for the vanilla cupcakes with mascarpone filling:

Cupcakes:

• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 egg whites from large eggs
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 cup 2% milk
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, milk and vanilla  in a large mixing bowl.  Mix at low speed for 2 minutes.  Scrape bowl.  Add egg whites and mix at high speed until fluffy and smooth, approximately 2 minutes.

Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter.  Do not overfill.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove from pan, and place on wire racks to cool completely.

Frost and decorate your vanilla cupcakes as desired.

Strawberry Mascarpone filling:

1 (8 oz) package of mascarpone cheese, chilled

1/2 cup of thawed and drained frozen strawberries

1/4 cup of sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip. Push the tip gently into the bottom of a cupcake and squeeze in the strawberry mixture until the cupcake plumps. Continue with the remaining cupcakes.  

 

Buttercream Icing:

  • 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
  • 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
  • Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.