Baked Banana French Toast

A Matter of Taste

Seunghyun practically bounced into the bakery the next morning.  His dinner date with Bom had been fantastic!  He even got to kiss her!  He smiled to himself, rolled up his sleeves, and got down to business.

When Dongwook walked through the door, he smelled something he knew all too well. 

"Banana French Toast!  Aw man that smells good!"  That French Toast was the reason he decided to partner up with Seunghyun.  It showed how much he really loved what he was doing.  A simple recipie with a twist, just how they liked it. 

"I remember the first time you made that."

"Really?"

"Of course I do!  I walked into that froo froo French place you were working at to get a creme puff for my girlfriend and I heard your boss screaming at the top of his lungs at you because your recipie was 'too simple for his upscale bakery.'  You looked like a sad puppy when he told you that, holding your french toast like it was your child. "

"Well I'm glad you came in that day.  Pierre looked stunned when you walked straight back there and took a huge mouthful of my french toast without saying a word."

Dongwook laughed. "Yeah!  And we ended up walking out that door together.  I didn't even get that creme puff my girlfriend asked me for."

"It was nothing my french toast couldn't solve!"

The two chuckled and stood in a comfortable silence for a moment.  Seunghyun tossed Dongwook his apron. "Don't make me do all the work around here!  You go and make something!"

"Alright, alright already!  I think I'll do some strawberry muffins today."  The two were hard at work until opening time.  The cases looked beautiful as usual, and Daesung met Dongwook at the door.

"Right on the dot as usual, Dae!"

"But of course!  So?  How was dinner?"  He looked up expectantly at Seunghyun.

"Oh yeah!  You didn't even tell me about that earlier!" Dongwook exclaimed. Seunghyun smiled and leaned over the counter.

"Dinner was great."

"OMO you made a move didn't you!?  I know that smile anywhere!"

"It was only a kiss!  And it was very sweet I'll have you know.  I was practically a gentleman."

Dongwook and Daesung burst into laughter.  "I bet you were overdressed too" Daesung chortled. 

"There's nothing wrong with looking nice" Seunghyun rubbed the back of his neck.

"Okay, okay pretty boy.  I'm glad it went well.  Now where's my danish?"

"Right here."  Dongwook was one step ahead.  He always was.  While Seunghyun was the creative of the pair, Dongwook had a head for business and was always organized. 

"Thank you.  It's a big day at work today, we have a big new project coming up!  I'll let you know about it later."

"Bye Dae!"  The door slowly shut behind him and he strolled down the street.  Dongwook walked up to the counter and traced his fingers around the cash register. 

"So.  Is she coming today?"

"I don't know.  I hope so.  I want her to try my French Toast!"

"So what's she like?"

"She's super cute!  She has long, cherry red hair, a cute button nose--"

"Yeah, yeah you told me all that!  But what does she like to do?"

"...eat?"  Seunghyun realized he didn't know much about Bom at all.  All they had done together was eat and talk about food. 

"You can't be in a relationship with someone soley based on the fact that you both like food!  You need to get to know her other interests.  What are her hobbies?  What music does she listen to?  Is she a dog person or a cat person?  That kind of stuff."  Dongwook patted Seunghyun on the back.  "You'll learn in time.  Just talk to her more on the next date, okay?"  The phone rang.  "Oh!  I'll get that."

As Dongwook went to get the phone, Seunghyun heard the doorbell ring.  "Welcome to--oh!  Hi Bom."  Bom glided into the bakery in denim shorts, a pale yellow top with a lovely floral print, and strappy sandals.  Her hair was in a long braid.  "You look great."

"Oh!  Thank you.  What's the special today?"

"Baked Banana French Toast."

"Sounds delicious!  I'll take two slices with some milk!"

"Right away." When Bom sat down to enjoy her french toast, someone else walked through the door. 

"YAH!  Bom if you come here everyday you'll get fat!"

"DARA!  But, but..it's just so yummy!  Take a bite!"  She shoved a heaping fork full of french toast into Dara's mouth.

"MMMMMM!"

"I told you."

"Yes.  Well, it may be tasty, but we have to keep healthy or we won't be in shape for work!"  Seunghyun's ears perked up.  What could her job be that required her to stay in shape?  And get up so early?  He understood businessmen like Daesung, but not pretty young girls like Bom. 

"Dara, it's not that bad.  I'll be fine."

"Bom.  We spend all day running and carrying things around.  It's not easy work and your body has to stay in good shape to be able to do your best job!"

"I guess you're right."  She sighed and looked at her sticky, empty plate.

"YAH!  You were eating the entire time?!"

"Yes!  I wasn't gonna waste it.  Besides, Seunghyun worked so hard to make it!"  Seunghyun blushed.

"It wasn't all that difficult."  He had an idea.  "What if you two came back tomorrow morning and I had something nutritious for you?"

"Pfft!  Nutritious and bakery are two words that never go together."  Dara crossed her arms. 

"You'd be surprised.  Come on.  What do you say?"

Dara looked at him skeptically, then looked down at Bom.

"Pleeeeease?"

"Oh alright fine!  I hope whatever you come up with is good."

"You won't regret it!"  Seunghyun smiled. 

With that, Dara grabbed Bom by the hand and they walked out the door.  Seunghyun had some research to do after the bakery closed that day.  Finding nutritious pastries would be a difficult task. 
 

"Nutritious, huh?" Dongwook came up beside him.  "Now this I'd like to see."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!  LORD how long has it been since I've updated?  A YEAR!?  Crazy talk!  But I'm back and I'm ready to make a great story!

I know there wasn't much romance in this chapter, but I need to add a fun challenge for our dear Seunghyun.  And get some more character development in! 

Here's a step by step recipie for the French Toast done by the lovely Bakerella!  It's so delicious!

Enjoy!

http://www.bakerella.com/baked-banana-french-toast/