Make Up Date

When I Was Your Man

a/n: as a sign of sincere apology for taking way too long to update, here 2k fluff for you guys... fluff. yes. nope. im not lying.


“Kai.” She hopped to his side and popped in a lollipop into . “What are you bringing today?”

He chuckled and put his earphones with his phone out. “Why don’t you go to the cafeteria to buy something instead of bugging me and my lunch?”

Soojung narrowed her eyes. “Fine. I could just bug Kyungsoo and his delicious spaghetti.”

She turned to go when Jongin pulled her wrist to sit down besides him. “Ouch. So grumpy, are we?” He smirked when she faced him.

Soojung rolled her eyes. “Your fault.”

 

Jongin laughed and opened his lunchbox, earning a grin from Soojung who heartily took a piece of his homemade burritos. Jongin’s mother’s cooking is a wonder, Soojung always thought.

They ate in silence, sharing earphones and both looked at each other every time the playlist of his iPod was shuffled to their favorite song, before singing with muffled mouth loudly. No one in the class would be bothered though, the class was theirs for the whole lunch period.

They were now in an easy term that every thing felt like in place – frequent late night calls, ride back home, and of course, the lunch they would always have inside his class. The feelings were mutual, and both couldn’t be any happier than that.

 

“Want me wait after school?” Soojung asked, pulling off the earplug and stood up from her seat as the bell rang in glory.

Jongin packed his empty lunch box and pressed the pause button on his iPod. He put it back on his backpack. “I think I can’t take you home today.” He pulled up his Math paper and sighed. “Extra class.”

Soojung laughed. “Oh. Right. I forgot I got higher score than you.”

He rolled his eyes and stood up, walking with her out of the class. “I know, genius.”

She narrowed her eyes and gave his head a light punch. “I thought I’ve told you to not call me that.”

“I’m stating the truth!” Jongin shrugged and gave her shoulder a light push. “Go now. Or I’m gonna be late for my class.”

 

She smiled and waved at him, then sat down at her chair.

Just seconds before the teacher walked in, her phone buzzed on her blazer pocket. Curious, she carefully took it and a grin appeared on her lips.

‘Heard there’s teacher meeting so we’ll be dismissed early.’ Said the first sentence and she looked up to her teacher who’s currently writing some assignments to do on the white board and that only led up to one thing – home early.

She quickly read the next sentence underneath her table whilst her other friends were already throwing their hands up in glee at the sign their teacher was giving.

‘The weather is quite nice and the street is not that crowded, don’t you think?’

 

***

 

“Rollercoaster!” She yelled and pulled his hand, bringing them to the short line of the ride.

He chuckled and got along, “Easy there. It’s not like the ride is going to disappear anytime soon.”

Rolling her eyes, she snorted. “Can you please just like, uhm, shut up?”

There he laughed and hugged her from the back. “Fine, I’m sorry, your highness.” He pecked her cheek and she quickly pushed his head further – afraid he would be aware of her now crimson face.

“Stop it, Jongin.” She looked away, “You smell.”

“Oh really?” He looked amused at her childish bluff, “I may smell but I assume you like being hugged as much as I like to hug you, don’t you think? Considering the faint blush on your cheeks that I can clearly see and—“

“It's our turn!” She cut him and looked back, revealing her red as tomato face, “Now will you please, shut up or else I’ll throw you out during the 360 spin up there so you wouldn't be able to say any other letter from that noisy mouth of yours, okay?”

 

He just laughed again and thought; this day couldn't get any better.

 

After their fourth round of roller coaster, she finally decided it was time for snack. She dragged him once again to the nearest food stall – cotton candy. They – he – bought one and they sat on one of the benches by the ride of flying ship.

She tore a bit of her cotton candy, “Say ‘Aaah!’, Jongin.”

He opened his mouth to be shoved a grip of the sweet treat by her, “H—hey!” He groaned and rolled his eyes – pushing the rest that were still around his mouth with his hand.

She laughed heartily, ignoring him grumbling ‘I’m not eating cotton candy. Not again’ and ‘ew, sticky’ besides her. Tilting her head, she put up the leftover and smiled, “I’m full. Want to finish it?”

He smiled back until his eye smile appeared – a way forced smile that earned her laugh once again, “How kind of you, but no thanks.”

“Oh come on,” she nudged his hand, “I’m being serious. It would be a waste since you bought this for me, right?”

Still, he didn’t budge on his seat – fixing his gaze on the ride in front of him. He really didn't get it why people chose to create; moreover, ride the game when they are being flipped in the air and there is actually a chance for the handle to be accidently opened and the people inside would fall out and die. And the most of his thought was, why the hell this girl beside him is so eager to be flipped like a pancake up there the most?

Just the thought of it made him shudder.

 

“Kai!” She yelled, bringing him back again. “Are you seriously ignoring me this time?”

He heard her – he always had been. He glanced at her sulking face, and decided to play some more.

“Fine.” Sighing, she pulled out something from her backpack. Again, he glanced her way and he couldn't help but to bit his lip to prevent him from smiling, because she just pulled out a pack of wet tissues.

“Look here,” she demanded, grabbing his chin. “I’m apologizing sincerely, so don’t you dare to ignore me the whole day because I’m still taking you to that cruel ride over there.”

Forcefully, his head was being tilted to face her. Slowly and carefully, she wiped the corner of his lips and after that, she took out another paper to clean his fingers.

“There.” She smiled, looking to face him back. “Better now?”

It was only a split second after that when Jongin leaned in and stole a kiss on her lips. He pulled back and grinned, “Yes, much, much better.”

He laughed and stood up, walking to the ride that wasn’t that scary anymore. Turning on his sneakers, he shouted to the statue of his blushing girlfriend, “Are you coming or it’s you who’s afraid of this ride now?”

 

Blinking the butterflies away, she narrowed her eyes at the sight of him keep calling her to be quick and not to waste the day and more bulls, unlike minutes ago when he said he was going to vomit all of his gastrointestinal tract organs because of the rollercoaster rides.

 

“Oh, God.” She grumbled and stomped her feet until she was beside him. “Mind telling me what spell did you put on me that I wanted to be your girlfriend in the first place?”

He grinned in glee and slung his arm around her, “I don’t know. You tell me.”

 

She only sulked and she swore if only the guards allow her to bring camera, she would really capture every image of him crying up in the air while being flipped by the ride and blackmail him to be nice to her every single time.

But really, she couldn't deny how happy she was that day – and it was because of him.

 

***

 

Several rides and finally they – she, after being persuaded fifteen times that they could go again next week or next month or let’s just say whenever you want to we can go play again by him – called it a day, wrapping the night with a round of Ferris wheel. Yes, Ferris wheel, as cheesy as it sounded.

 

“Why didn't you bring your jacket along instead of leaving it on my car?” He sighed and pulled her closer as a gust of wind passed by.

She pouted and defended herself. “I didn't know it was going to be this chilly!”

“Fine, fine.” He caressed her hair and brought her closer.

 

They stayed in silent, enjoying each other’s warmth while looking at the bright light of a spring night. When he was busy playing with their interlaced fingers, she caught a glimpse of another couple on the other ride – the boy was giving his girlfriend a bucket of petals – and she smiled at the sight.

Soojung likes flowers, and she really loves petals just because.

 

She called him. “Hm?”

“I’ve been always wondering.” She mumbled and leaned her head on his shoulder, “Why you never give me flower before?”

“It's too cheesy.” He replied curtly.

Surprisingly, his simple answer could sink her down. “Oh.”

He noticed her stiffening under his arm. “Why?”

She quickly shook her head. “Nothing.” He knew there was something off, but then she moved her body closer and hugged his waist – then he assumed it was just his feeling and he shrugged it off.

They chose to be engulfed by the silent again until they reached the very top of the ride, and the rotation stopped. She closed her eyes, hearing his heartbeat really was her favorite lullaby that she almost drifted off to sleep if he didn’t talk again.

“Soojung-ah,” he called softly. She opened her eyes a bit.

“Hm?”

He sighed, “I’m sorry about the other day – when I messed up. Well, I messed up a lot, so you might forget which mess I’m talking about.” He chuckled bitterly, but she just stayed silent.

“It’s – I don’t know. Things got so complicated and I’m feeling really guilty that you had to be involved and got the blame.” He sighed again and leaned his head on top of hers, “I’m really sorry.”

She smiled and nodded slowly. “It’s okay—“

“Stop saying things are okay, Soojung.” He snapped. “It’s not okay. I messed things up and you would still bear it like nothing has gone wrong, when in fact, every thing has gone wrong.”

“But you already said sorry,” she mumbled, “so now it’s all okay.” Looking up, she smiled and it strangely pained him. “Like I said, it’s all okay, Jongin.”

 

He caressed her face and the lie he had been hiding from her flashed on his mind – his wound. From the day he met her, it was his one and only secret that he hid from her. The guilt ate him up, but it wasn't the right time, yet.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said, eyes staring her black orbs. “I’m sorry, Soojung.”

He leaned in and kissed her; her forehead, her cheeks, her nose. “Soojung, stop being this kind and just tell me that I did wrong and you really hate me for being like that and—“

“Sssh.” She grabbed both sides of his cheeks. Blankly, she soothed the wrinkles on his forehead, the dark circles under his eyes, and a tear that was threatening to escape from the corner of his eye. “You look much older these days. I assume that you’re back with your insomnia?”

“Krys—“

“Then,” she continued, “why didn't you call me? I thought I’m the only one who came up to your mind every time you had a trouble with sleeping.” She narrowed her eyes and pushed his forehead playfully, “Forgot that already?”

He blinked in his spot. “What—no! Of course I remember. But, Krys—“

“So what’s your problem now?” She cut him again. “You have me, Kai. You have me as a place for you to pour everything that’s bothering you. You should’ve got enough sleep, you should’ve not be this stressed. You don’t have to—say sorry, this much.” She sighed and smiled up to him again, “Please, don’t say sorry again. It makes me feel like, you’re—I don’t know, like you’re hiding something from me.”

 

Seeing him stiffened upon that sentence, she quickly swallowed back again the words that were already on tip of her tongue.

No, Soojung. He will tell you eventually – he will, but not now, she told herself, again.

 

Closing her eyes, she opened them again to see him looking straight with his glinting eyes. “I—I mean,” she chuckled sheepishly, “you… you would tell me everything, right, Jongin? You believe me, right?”

 

He gulped, and instead of answering the question she had given him, he unwrapped his arm to embrace her into a hug.

She had faith, that he believed her as much as the faith she had put in him.

 

Still with the unanswered questions, Soojung could only smile bitterly into the hug.

 


a/n: im sorry for taking another space for this chit chat but i'm feeling so thankful that you guys are still there, waiting for the nonexistent update. i'm this grateful for all of you, yes, every single of you who read this story. i'll try to update more in the future despite my college tasks and please wish me can get through this freshman year. once again, thank you for still reading! i love u <3

anw, this update is fluffy enough, right?