101 Reasons

101 Reasons to Live

 

“Are you going to jump?”

“I don't know,” she responded shakily.

The boy scoffed. “Make up your mind.”

She looked at him incredulously. Was he really urging her to jump? He wasn’t even going to stop her? What kind of person would do that, not stop someone from committing suicide? Curious, she asked, “Y-you’re not going to stop me?”

“Do you want me to?”

She paused to think about the answer to that question. Inside her head, a part of her shouted yes while the other nonchalantly replied no, and urged her to just jump. Perhaps she should do just that, what was left for her in this cruel world anyway? She had no one; nobody loved her. She had nothing either. Heaving a sigh, she looked down the building and yelled: “I don’t know!”

Again, the male scoffed.

The wind blew strongly and the girl lost balance, almost pushing her off the rooftop ledge. Her brown wavy hair flew in every direction and her body continued to tremble in fear. She was still human, and the thought of dying still scared her.

“Jeez, even the wind is asking you to hurry up!” the boy shouted sardonically.

Then, she started to cry. Tears welled up in her eyes, streamed down her face like waterfall rushing to plunge down the river. Her cries were only heard by the boy behind her, the one urging her to end her life already. She wondered, still, if someone – anyone – would miss her. If somewhere out there, someone actually loved her secretly. She hoped that someone, something, would give her a reason to live because she didn’t want to go yet. Even if it was just a little part of her.

“What’s your name?”

Her tears halted and so did her cries. Slowly, she turned to the boy. He was grinning, like he had achieved something. Was he insane? Then again, she was the one standing on the ledge, wanting to jump; she wasn’t any better than he was. “Suzy,” she said softly, hoping he heard her.

“I’m Myungsoo.” He smiled. “Why do you want to jump?”

She hesitated to tell him, but in the end, she told him anyway. “I don’t have anyone or anything to live for.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, Suzy. There are 101 reasons for everyone to live.”