Words That Don't Translate [Part Two]

Royal Drabbles

 

Cafuné (Brazilian Portuguese): The act of tenderly running your fingers through someone's hair.

"I remember I use to make fun of this. But it's just so soft. How can it look so deceiving?" Donghae runs his fingers through her hair while she lays back onto his chest, in between his legs, trying to read a book.

"You need to stop that, you're making it difficult to read." She hasn't turned the page in ten minutes, just happy to be sitting with him in the common room away from everyone. His long deep breathes relax her. His fingers calm her. She is content and happy.

Word Count: 91


 

Avoir le mal de quelqu'un (French): Missing someone so much it literally makes you sick. "Someonesickness," on the model of "seasickness."

“Hello?”

“Dara?” A shy voice in the telephone broke the silence.

“Donghae?” Dara replied, her tone worried, and enthusiastic at the same. “How’s the army? Why did you call, anyway? Were you hurt?”

Hearing the string of questions made Donghae blush, partly because he thought his girlfriend was so thoughtful and partly because he was sick. He’d been having chills since they arrived camp and everyone who knew was worried.

“I’m fine. Just a bit sick, that’s all.”

She tched on the phone and said reprovingly, “That’s because you strain yourself too much.”

“It’s because I’m missing you, you daft girl.”

“Oh.”

Word Count: 102


 

Retrouvailles (French): The happiness of meeting again after a long time.

“Are we there yet?”

The young man with stoic features rolled his eyes before letting out a huff.

“Not yet.”

“Oh.”

Five minutes later…

“Are we there yet?”

There was no response from Hyukjae and Donghae resorted to poking his best friend’s side so he could get his attention.

“Darn it! No! We’re not there yet!”

“Sheesh! Don’t get so worked up!” Donghae glared at him before settling again on his seat.

One hour later, at the train station, just after the train left…

“Hyukjae…where’s Donghae?” Dara asked.

Super Junior’s dance machine paled and his eyes widened in trepidation when he realized what the question meant.

“Oh, God. He’s still on the train! Sleeping.”

It’s Dara’s turn to look fearful. “What? But…”

“He was all excited…and happy…and he kept on pestering me…and then he dozed off…” Hyukjae started pulling his hair out of its roots.

Dara laughed.

Word Count: 147


 

Xingfu (Chinese): A sort of happiness or contentedness felt through having everything you want in life and/or not having any looming worries. It describes a long-term feeling about one's life situation rather than a happiness achieved through a singular outcome or situation.

A boy in his early twenties kept watchful glances at the couple who were having tea on the patio. The girl, who looked much like the boy, laughed and whispered to the man next to her, “I think you won Thunder over.”

The man sneaked a glance and saw that although the gaze was wary, it was not filled with hate, rather with much admiration. “You think so?” he whispered to the girl next to him.

“Very.”

“Does that mean he’s saying yes to us…getting married?”

The girl smiled and pecked the man at his left cheek. “Yes.”

Word Count: 98


 

Ya'aburnee(Arabic): "You bury me." It's a declaration of one's hope that they'll die before another person, because of how difficult it would be to live without them.

The wedding was being heralded as the wedding of the century. This was one of the biggest stories to grace its pages since Choi Dongwook and Park Hanbyul’s, and that wedding didn't have as much backstory as this one.

The back gardens of the venue were splendid. The deep red roses and silver fabrics made the bride all dressed in white stand out even more. She was in tears because she was getting married to the man that she loved and his vows moved her. There wasn't a dry eye to be found in all those that were present. Not even Yang Hyunsuk and Lee Sooman could keep their stoic appearance fully in check.

"Dara, there was once a time, where I thought you could bury me. I feel breathless each time when you pass, and it’s a miracle I survived this long, basking in your radiant beauty. You can still bury me, simply by loving me. I will spend the rest of my life proving to you that I deserve the love that you so freely give me. I will spend the rest of my life proving that I'm the luckiest guy this world has ever known. I will spend the rest of my life bringing you all the happiness that you have brought onto me. And when our lives are almost done, I'll do the world a favor, and off myself, simply because I can never spend a day without you and I'm selfish like that."

Dara giggled while trying not to ruin her makeup from the tears escaping.

Word Count: 259