Words That Don't Translate [Part One]

Royal Drabbles

 

The world is full of language and not everything translates. Some cultures use their own language to give names to some of these moments, feelings, etc, but they do not have a direct English counterpart.


 

Koi No Yokan (Japanese): The sense upon first meeting a person that the two of you are going to fall into love. This isn't like "love at first sight" but like, love is possible down the road.

The door of the dressing room was only slightly closed, its occupant too busy to care, and besides, with the hustle and bustle from the crowd outside, no one would bother to come in. While in the process of pulling his shirt off, with his head hidden beneath the fabric, a shrill shriek is made from the door.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't realize you were changing!" A young girl exclaims covering her eyes while trying to will the blush she was sporting to go away.

The boy quickly rights his shirt and looks at the girl. He can't help but smile at how silly she looks. He decides right then that he wants to know this girl because all the other girls he knows would never blush at him if caught in the same predicament.

"It's all right. I'm Lee Donghae. Why did you enter my dressing room?"

"Uh, I’m trying to look for Goo Hye Sun. She was just beside me but I got lost. Do you know where the YG’s dressing rooms are?" The girl's eyes dodge around the room acting as if she's searching for her lost friend, but in all honesty, she just couldn't bear to look the boy in the eyes. She felt something was happening. But she didn't know what.

"I haven't seen her. The dressing rooms are on the left wing though. What's your name?" The person the newcomer was looking for is a close friend he met through acting workshops. He couldn't help but want to know more about the girl who he just saw for the first time.

"Thank you for your help. And I’m Park Sandara. It was nice to meet you."

Word Count: 283


 

La Douleur Exquise (French): The heart-wrenching pain of wanting someone you can't have.

She was gorgeous.

Yes, she was. Even with the hair that was enough to scare a full-grown man, she looked heavenly, like some angel dropped by the heavens and his heart ached for longing for her. He felt like a mere mortal compared to her, and even that exaggeration felt like an understatement as he mulled it over.

She can never be his.

How could she be? He can’t even get the courage to talk to her, let alone approach her. In several months, her dating ban would be lifted and without doubt, hordes of besotted men would come begging for her heart. He won’t even have the chance to begin with. His fans won’t allow it.

He heaved a sigh and tried hard on focusing to their performance as a group.

Word Count: 118


 

Saudade (Portuguese): The feeling of longing for someone that you love and is lost. Another linguist describes it as a "vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist."

The whole arena was filled with fan chants and screams as Kwon Jiyong, popularly known as G-Dragon went down the stage, performing a couple of singles from his latest album. The crowd was going wild as usual, in exchange for GD’s exuberant performance.

Then the screams got louder and he raised his head to see what caused it. His heart fell, if that was possible, at the sight.

A girl wearing a bright yellow minidress, her hair up in a Chinese bun, came strutting across the stage. The pink-haired dragon came chased after her and they started something like some flirting dance or whatever. The people, fans and celebrities alike, went berserk from the charisma and chemistry oozing out of the two.

And that was when Donghae knew he could never have her as a lover, girlfriend or wife…but he would try to become her friend. Even just as a friend.

Word Count: 151


 

Forelsket: (Norwegian): The euphoria you experience when you're first falling in love.

"Lee Donghae, you cannot be serious. I've only just decided to be your friend and you're already starting trouble!" Dara couldn't help herself, yelling at him was better than admitting that she had feelings for the boy. Starting a fight kept those feelings at bay, and it wasn't like he was making it that difficult anyway.

"Jiyong started it! I’m not the one at fault here!" It was hard for him. He finally attained what he convinced himself he wanted, to be her friend, but watching her around him was just too hard. He wanted to be more than what he was now – the person she went to when she needed a partner for practicing lines; to talk about boy problems (generally about the Dragon leader himself). He wanted to be the person she went to when she wanted to feel loved – when she needed to be reassured, hugged, and kissed. He wanted to be that person.

"He's my friend!" She shouted at him while poking at his chest in between her words. They were very close now. She could see the burnt caramel in the brown of his eyes. He could see the toffee-colored specks that made up her burnt umber colored eyes.

"He's just a friend?" He whispers to her while grasping her hand to his chest. Relief and hope flashes through his eyes and that's when she knows that he feels the same way.

"Yes, he's just a friend." And she snatches her hand and walks back up to her room to sort out what she has just figured out and how it affects her feelings.

Word Count: 269


 

Mamihlapinatapei (Yagan, an indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego): The wordless yet meaningful look shared by two people who desire to initiate something, but are both reluctant to start.

"You look beautiful, Dara. Although, I think Vegeta hair looks better on you." Donghae smiles down at her thinking of how all those years ago her hair was formed in some weird shape and he can’t help but at it.

"Will you keep it down? And stop all this smiling, people are looking at you like you've gone crazy." She can't help but smile at him as well. Over the past few weeks, since that conversation, they have been sending each other knowing looks, hidden smiles, and flirtatious banter at each other.

Neither has stepped up though. The next step has yet to be breached and both are hoping that tonight they will finally be able to. Neither is ready to bare their heart to the other. Both are very aware of the hurt and pain that the other could cause them. And because of this, they continue to just smile at each other while they dance with only each other the whole night of the SBS year-end party.

Word Count: 171