Chapter 9

➤ IN MY REMAINS

 

The coming weekend marked the 10th day Yixing had been staying at Kyung Soo and Jongin’s apartment. Although they were very accommodating, he couldn’t help feeling like he was intruding on their honeymoon period whenever he saw the two of them cozy up in their own world. It was clear to him that they were very much in love – whether or not Kyung Soo admitted it – and he was envious of that.

 

He left the couple snuggling in front of the sink under the pretense that they were going to wash the dishes and headed to Jongin’s old room. Just the day before Jongin had told him he was thankful Yixing was living with them because then it gave him the excuse to move out of his room and into Kyung Soo’s. Whether or not it was true, Yixing was just as grateful they so readily took him in.

 

“Are you really sure about this?” Kyung Soo asked when Yixing emerged from the room in clean clothes.

 

Yixing flashed him a small smile and nodded. “You worry too much, Soo,” he teased. “I can cope, really.”

 

“But—”

 

“No buts,” he told him mildly while he bent over to tie his shoelaces. “I think having a second job would be good. Take my mind off things.” He straightened up and hesitated a bit before rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. “Can you do me a favour though? My stuff is at Baek Hyun’s. Could you…?”

 

Kyung Soo nodded and Yixing glanced away for a second, not comfortable with seeing the sympathetic smile on his face. Though he had not told Kyung Soo anything and the café owner hadn’t asked, Yixing was sure Baek Hyun would have filled him in on some details. He felt bad too, for avoiding Baek Hyun after the years they had spent together in a 7 by 10 cell, but his association with Chanyeol hit a little too close to heart.

 

Thanking Kyung Soo again, Yixing grabbed his backpack and headed out the door. Today was his first day working as a media library assistant in Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) and as boring as the job sounded, he couldn’t help feeling a little excited at the idea of working in a broadcasting company.

 

The HR manager met him at the lobby of the MBC Headquarters and took him right to the grimy library without introducing him to anyone. She explained that he would be working alone to organise the video library – which included tapes ranging from screen tests to press conferences to personal interviews to behind-the-scenes footage – that had been untouched for years. It seemed that the drama division had a new Head in charge and he wanted things to be in a more orderly manner for easier reference.

 

It was only when the manager left that he took a proper look at the library and groaned. The videos dated back to as far as 2007 which meant he had about 5 years of tapes to clean up. Well – at least it was mindless work.

 

Settling himself at the first shelf, he plonked his down on the only chair in the room despite the slight film of dust on it and hummed under his breath as he set to work on the chaotic display.

 

***

 

Kyung Soo was waiting for him when Yixing ended his first day in MBC and travelled to Jongin’s pub to start his second job. Although Jongin had initially intended for Yixing to work as a bartender and show off his face to draw patrons to buy drinks from him, the pub owner had strongly changed his mind after the seventh broken bottle and delegated him to the kitchen.

 

It was fine with Yixing anyway; loud music and obnoxious crowds weren’t really his thing. The only times he missed was when the pub had live performances. Those were definitely superior to the deafening pop and rock music.

 

“Evening, Kyung Soo,” he greeted as he dumped his backpack into the locker and searched for his apron. “Are you here to help again?”

 

His housemate grumbled under his breath and sighed. “I told him not to hire that chef. He called in sick again.”

 

Yixing glanced at him, grinning, while tying the ribbons of his apron. “I bet this is a conspiracy,” he pretended to whisper. “Jongin never hired that chef. He just wants you to work for him.”

 

His eyes rolled up thoughtfully, and for a moment Kyung Soo looked as if he was really considering the possibility. “… I think you’re right. I wouldn’t put it past him to do that,” he said seriously, following Yixing to the kitchen.

 

He was looking through the orders when Jongin suddenly appeared with a displeased face... and a Baek Hyun next to him. Jongin arched an eyebrow at Kyung Soo, who at least had the decency to look embarrassed.

 

“Sorry, Yixing... Baek Hyun was worried,” Kyung Soo murmured softly. “I had to tell him.”

 

Baek Hyun offered Yixing an awkward smile. “Can we talk, just for a short moment?” he asked imploringly, wringing his wrists as though he was nervous. Jongin was frowning hard, looking as if he wanted to say something.

 

Not wanting to make things difficult for Kyung Soo and Jongin, Yixing nodded, despite inwardly afraid of what the latter might say. Sure, they were good friends, but then if Luhan, his best friend (and boyfriend), could lie to him for years, how would he know Baek Hyun would not do the same?

 

Promising Jongin he would return to the kitchen in a bit, he led Baek Hyun to the staff room and gestured for him to sit. “Does anyone know I’m here?” Yixing asked wearily, heart dropping when Baek Hyun slowly nodded. Great. It was just a matter of time Luhan or Kris would appear then.

 

“Luhan’s a wreck at home,” Baek Hyun said quietly. “I’m not really sure what happened between the two of you but he looks as if he’s going to pass out any moment. He doesn’t eat, doesn’t sleep – he doesn’t even go to work. He’s just… floating around at home.”

 

Yixing fell silent, opting instead to stare at his scuffed sneakers. Various thoughts assaulted his mind. Was Baek Hyun telling the truth? On one hand he was still stunned and hurt by what Luhan did, but on the other hand, he felt uneasy leaving him in that state.

 

Maybe he ought to stop postponing talking to Luhan if he wanted to get a clear grasp of things.

 

“Okay,” he said. “I’ll come by tomorrow.”

 

***

 

His housemates Jongin and Kyung Soo were currently not speaking to each other and it was all Yixing’s fault. After he had told them what Baek Hyun had said, they got into a debate whether or not he should look up Luhan. Jongin told him he should avoid Luhan entirely and start a new life; after all, wasn’t he doing perfectly fine the past week without him? Whereas Kyung Soo argued that Yixing should listen to what Luhan had to say and also make sure he wasn’t on the verge of starving himself because he wouldn’t want to be plagued by guilt if something were to happen to Luhan.

 

Kyung Soo was right, of course. As mad as he was at Luhan, Yixing could not bear to see Luhan in a state of self-destruction.

 

“I’ll come by the pub at 9 instead today,” he told a disapproving Jongin the next morning, quickly fleeing the apartment before the other could tell him off.

 

His head was in a constant haze when he got off the bus at the MBC Headquarters. He had to strengthen his resolve not to forgive Luhan so easily. Thank God he still had a couple of hours before he had to see him.

 

Unlike yesterday, Yixing welcomed the mundane duties of shelving the tapes. His mind zoned out while he grouped the tapes that belonged to the same drama and his hands automatically arranged them in ascending years.

 

It was only when his shift was ending that he came across the audition tape of What Is Love. The drama was a familiar name to Yixing despite having not watched it when it aired over a year ago because it happened to be the drama of Kris’s breakout role. He chewed on the insides of his cheeks hesitantly and glanced at the door.

 

Five minutes wouldn’t hurt, right?

 

Quickly scrambling to the television in the room and praying that it was not faulty, Yixing popped the tape into the video player in a mix of apprehension and eagerness. He was such a er. So easily thrilled to see Kris even though he was avoiding him.

 

With the remote control in his hand, Yixing forwarded the tape as it showed the screen tests of several actors, famous and rookie ones like Kris, going through their lines. He frowned to himself. Why wasn’t Kris appearing yet?

 

It was only when the camera finally moved up to accommodate the tall candidate in the frame that Yixing snapped out of his temporary boredom to pause the video. And stared.

 

“Good morning, I am auditioning for the lead character James Kim,” the person on the screen said brightly, “My name is Park Chanyeol .“


A/N: I don't mean to leave cliffhangers... but it's part of the plan to reveal one thing by one thing each chapter. xD