Dance

Trouble

 

It was about three or four PM when I got there, wrapping myself in the delicate aura of sweet nuttiness that was the café. Surprisingly, the shop was empty. And I don’t mean there were a few people there. I mean that when I walked in, I was the only customer. There was a slight tug on my heart when I saw that Kyungsoo wasn’t there, and a small, insignificant part of me considered turning around and coming back later.
 
But, that would really give him reason to call me a stalker. The fact that I had been so interested by this mystery man bothered me. Not in a bad way, but in a bothersome way. Why? What was so intriguing about him? Why was he so tiny and dangerous and fragile looking and adora-
 
I have to stop this.
 
Knock it off Kai. You’re acting like a fan girl right now.
 
“Sir, can I help you?” The cashier snapped me out of my thoughts -which a lot of people seemed to be doing lately- and I stepped closer to look at the menu. Just as I was about to order, in fact I had my mouth open ready to pronounce the word ‘caramel’, I heard a ding echo from the door. Without permission my head had already turned to see a familiar looking man walk up behind me and stare contently at the menu. I hadn’t realized I was staring until he met my eyes, a small and almost invisible smirk appearing on his lips afterwards and my head flung backwards to both hide my blush and order my drink.
 
“Caramel Mocha with extra caramel hold the cream extra whip double shot please,” I said in one breathful and noticed that there was a figure next to me looking at me curiously and hoping to high hell that I wouldn’t have to repeat the order again because I was suddenly somehow out of breath simply because he was standing next to me and suddenly somehow my heart forgot how to beat and oh my god he’s staring at me I can feel it on my face dear god someone stop him please oh god im rambling on agai-
 
“Make that two.” The velvety voice next to me spoke and I swear this is why I call myself weird because I go around calling a man’s beautiful, velvety voice beautiful and velvety.
 
I watched as he pulled out a ten dollar bill and signaled for the cashier to keep the change. It took me a while to realize that he had paid for my drink and I attempted to pull out my wallet but the moment he saw, he forced me to put it back.
 
“My treat. And I’ll explain why if you’ll sit next to me again.” Kyungsoo whispered. Not quietly. Not seductively. But invitingly. Intriguingly. The request took me off guard but I accepted nonetheless.
 
We took the same spots we were in yesterday, and I noticed that he had placed his drink down and picked up a copy of today’s newspaper. I watched confusedly as he turned through the pages of stories to the one section that he had been reading yesterday: the comics.
 
I really had no idea what was going on, as he said he was going to talk to me, so instead of bothering his reading I just took sips of my drink and soaked in the relaxing atmosphere.
 
With a smile did he fold the paper back up and place it on the table. Hell, I had no idea what was going on but I was started to get addicted to the certain way he smiled when he was intrigued with something.
 
JongIn, this isn’t helping you look like less of a stalker. Knock it off and be a man for once.
 
Oh how I wanted to listen to my own thoughts, and how my body would have none of it.
 
I turned to him, assuming he was ready to talk, and ready to hear what he had to say.
 
“Kai-sshi, since there is no one else in here we can go outside and talk in normal voices or stay in here and whisper. Which would you prefer?” The petite man asked quietly, making sure the workers wouldn’t hear.
 
But why? Was there a secret involved?
 
Was he going to have me arrested for looking at him one too many times?
 
Perhaps it was best if we had this talk outside.
 
I told him that and we soon left the place to be empty on this chilly day. When we got outside steam started to form through the little hole in the lid and we both simultaneously took a sip, wanting to warm our slowly cooling bodies.
 
“Did you want to walk around the block or something? There’s probably benches all over the place, some more secluded then others.” I asked in a low voice, not really sure if I was allowed to talk normally.
 
He nodded his head and we walked about a block in comfortable silence before settling down in a secluded bench under a few snowy oak trees.
 
“Kai, do you mind if I ask you to do something?” Kyungsoo met my eyes with hope.
 
My eyebrows creased together in confusion. “Umm… I suppose if it’s not illegal I could.” I let out a nervous laugh and looked to the ground.
 
“Dance.”
 
My head shot up. “What?!” I asked, perhaps a little louder than I should have. A few bystanders looked up and I hid my head, silently apologizing for the unpredicted outburst.
 
“I mean, you don’t have to. But I’d appreciate it if you would.” Kyungsoo added.
 
I contemplated it for a moment. There was a move that I enjoyed the most. One of my original ones that I had perfected a long time ago in the abandoned studio. I guess some would call it my ‘signature’ move.
 
Part of me wanted to know why he wanted to see this, yet the other part just wanted to leave it alone. 
 
It’s not like this is the first time someone’s asked you to dance, .
 
“I’ll hold your drink.” His small hand reached out to hold my cup and I hesitantly gave it to him.
 
I stood up slowly, making sure there were barely any people around. “Well, just know that I’ll probably look incredibly stupid doing it in these clothes.” I laughed lightheartedly and stretched out my arms above my head. Without me realizing it, the bottom of my shirt lifted up as well and revealed a small patch of skin. I didn’t notice anything happened until I saw Kyungsoo’s eyes shift away, a dust of rose coating his cheeks and his fingers fiddling nervously with the top of his drink’s lid. 
 
I quickly lowered my arms but he was still looking away.
 
I couldn’t help but smirk. “You can’t see me dance if you don’t turn your head to look at me.”
 
My voice caught his attention and wide eyes shot up to me, the same ones from last night when he had fallen on his rear.
 
I kicked the ground under me to make sure there weren’t any unexpected pieces of gravel and began dancing. I brought my leg out and then my arm, working movements together that only look good as a whole. 
 
I studied Kyungsoo’s face as I finished my short piece and noticed how he seemed to be watching but not watching, paying attention yet thinking perhaps a bit too much about something else.
 
He nodded his head, more to himself than to anyone in particular, but when I walked closer I noticed a look on his face as if he were in deep thought. 
 
It was as if he had just figured out something. 
 
Put all of the pieces together.
 
Solved the puzzle.