Three

The notebook

 

 

“It’s gone… The notebook is gone!” He said and it wasn’t exactly a shriek, because guys don’t shriek, but it went pretty close to it.

“The Stalker diary?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Maybe you forgot it at the dorm this morning.” He suggested, before he was interrupted by the sound of his tall friend’s head being bumped on the table.

“I had it with me in the library and then…” The memories didn’t flash, one after the other, in front of Chanyeol’s eyes, like they did in movies, but instead his mind went back to one particular moment from that morning.

Kris was asking him about his stupid book and he had been so shocked that he dropped his open bag on the floor. He could also vaguely remember something red and book-like flying away from it.

“I’m done.” He muttered face resting on the cafeteria table dejectedly. “Guys, it was nice putting up with you, but I’m afraid we have to say goodbye.” 

He closed his eyes tight, wistfully hoping it would help erase the memories, or –if possible- the action altogether.

It didn’t.

“Why are you bidding us goodbye?” Kyungsoo pushed away his empty plate and asked.

“I’m going to prison, guys! I’m done.” Chanyeol felt tears of embarrassment welling up in his eyes.

“I dropped my notebook in the library. In front of him. Which means he has it. The notebook.” The tall Korean had always led a low-profile life. Having been labeled as the class nerd and weirdo ever since middle school, no one had ever expected him to be rebellious, or particularly bold.

In fact, it was possible that the most adventurous thing he had done in his entire life was lie to his PE teacher back in school that he had a headache, in order to go buy Playstation 3 limited edition.

Until three months ago, he was a hard-working college student, following his dreams to be a Chemist and staying away from drinks, drugs and general trouble.

Then, Kris had appeared, like this impressive star from outer space and the Canadian was shining so bright that Chanyeol’s old life looked dull and boring.

And just like that the curly-haired boy had gone from blowing up his lab partners in Biochemistry to following around unsuspecting men and being declared a stalker by his best friends.

Plus, now that the cat was out of the bag there was public humiliation in store for him; and probably a cell with his name on it.

Chanyeol spent the next three days, hiding under his bed and going out only to grab a cup of ramyun which Baekhyun had kindly –or not so much- prepared for him.

He had also asked his friends to tell everyone that he had moved to Tibet to be a monk, or a Yeti, depending on which paid better.

Kyungsoo had smacked him at the back of his head, muttering how Chanyeol had probably offended at least a hundred deranged zoologists and an entire religion in just one sentence.

Two weeks later and after being thoroughly warned that he couldn’t afford to miss another class, the tall Korean was forced out of his hiding place.

He stumbled cautiously towards the Chemistry Department, with a cap and a big blue scarf wrapped around his neck and face, for good measure.

However, even in that disguise, he felt everyone’s eyes on him. Even people he had never met before were staring at him curiously, some whispering sneakily among themselves things that didn’t sound like praises.

Junmyun, Chanyeol’s unfortunate lab partner, welcomed him in the class with a guilty look and a small pout.

“Ch-Chanyeol-ah…” He started, fidgeting awkwardly in front of a much taller Chanyeol.

“I didn’t know what was up, I promise! If I did, I wouldn’t have talked so… so carelessly about you. He looked so nice- and he kept asking everyone about you.  I never imagined he’d be...” Junmyun messed his hair and went on to chant apologies at the tall Korean.

“Now wait a second Junmyun-ah!” Chanyeol raised a hand to stop his lab partner’s babbling. “What’s the problem?”

The ‘problem’ was sitting on Chanyeol’s seat, at the far end of the class, his long arms crossed in front of his torso and his eyes pinned on the curly-haired Korean.

“K-Kris?!” This time it was definitely a shriek, the tall Chemist noted with disdain.

“Don’t even think about running away again.” Kris called out to him, standing up and walking past all of Chanyeol’s classmates who were looking shocked beyond belief.

And the curly-haired boy would have thought he was the one most terrified at that particular moment, had Junmyun not been practically seizuring right next to him.

“Hurry up and leave Chanyeol-ah, I’ll stall him.” Chanyeol thought it was rather nice of his lab partner to protect him in this way, despite the fact that he had burnt his hair more than three times this semester.

“If you dare leave, Park Chanyeol, I’m calling the police!” Kris, who was now towering over Junmyun, growled, causing the tall Korean to freeze in place.

“The p-police?” Junmyun stepped back scared but managed to drag Chanyeol with him, protectively. “B-but you’re the criminal here!” He pointed at Kris accusingly.

The curly-haired boy furrowed his eyebrows. “Kris is not the criminal, though.” He told Junmyun who gave him a perfectly incredulous glance, together with the rest of his class.

“What are you talking about Chanyeol-ah? He-he admitted it!” Junmyun looked between the blonde Canadian and Chanyeol confused.

“Have a word with me, Park Chanyeol.” Kris deadpanned and it was only then that the tall Korean realized just how close he had come, almost backing him to the wall.

Chanyeol sighed and pulled off his cap. It was a lost cause, he decided. Besides, the longer he took to surrender the bigger the ruckus he would cause.

“Fine.” He nodded and motioned for Kris to follow him out of the building and in a quiet corner of the campus.

“I believe this is yours.” The blonde who had kept silent all the way there, finally spoke, in a slightly annoyed tone, opening his bag and handing Chanyeol his stalker notebook.

“D-Did you-?” The only slightly short guy lowered his head and bit the insides of his mouth to keep from crying.

“Did I read it?” Kris provided. “Of course.” He said pointedly. “All fifty-seven pages of it.”

The Korean gulped audibly, feeling fear pooling at the bottoms of his stomach.  His mother would kill him if he went to prison.

“You followed me around for a whole semester. You took notes about what I did and what I was wearing, what my hair looked like...” At those words, Chanyeol’s eyes fell on the blonde’s body instinctively.

He was wearing a white, loose jumper over dark, skinny jeans (the Korean wanted to strangle himself for focusing on the jeans) and on top of that his hair were tied in a small ponytail. He had no earrings on this time.

“…Read the books I was reading and even commented on them!” Meanwhile, Kris was going wild listing all of Chanyeol’s crimes, his flawless face making cute grimaces and his long hands flying on the air in wild gestures. Honestly, the younger boy didn’t want to find all this beautiful and feel just a little bit excited that he got to see this side of the blonde, but he did anyway.

“I cannot believe you’ve been stalking me for so long! This is crazy!” Kris finished with a loud groan and a frustrated eye-roll.

It was all true and the older man had every reason to be angry. Chanyeol looked at his shoes, thinking about how he used to be normal and never caused problems.

“It’s crazy, right?” He asked the Canadian in a deep voice. “I know it too; that I did something very bad to you.” For some reason Chanyeol wasn’t even feeling shame anymore. Just that overpowering melancholy, which makes you want to give up everything you tried so hard to have.

For this foolish obsession, the Korean had become someone bad, someone who made handsome people like Kris, shout and frown and look startled, like he did right now. And frankly, he didn’t like it one bit.

“How did I become a person like that? What’s wrong with me? Why did I do something shameful like that?” He spoke more to himself that the tall, blonde close by.

The other seemed curious about it too. “Why did you?”

His soft voice made Chanyeol raise his eyes at him. Kris didn’t look very ominous anymore and the lines of his face had relaxed into a pretty smooth pattern.

“You looked so impressive that first time I met you.” Chanyeol repeated the same explanation he had given his friends a million times before. “It’s not like I’m very shy. Actually, I’m very… goofy and sparky and bubbly.”

Bubbly?” Kris questioned.

“I mean high-spirited and playful and… stupid, really.” The curly-haired boy confessed.

“So I thought that if I went up to you and introduced myself, you’d find me absolutely ridiculous. And even if you didn’t, the two of us together… doesn’t it look weird?” Chanyeol wasn’t exactly ashamed of his style, or his crazy character. Yet it was obvious to him that this personality could never fit with Kris’ cool and refined behavior.

Just imagining the two of them sitting side-by-side, himself dancing excitedly about one thing or another and the Canadian standing there, uncomfortable and rigid, made Chanyeol shudder.

“You thought we’d be weird together. Because you’re bubbly and I’m not. That’s why you never talked to me…” The blonde foreigner, repeated somewhat astounded.

“Yes.” The younger boy nodded. “And I’m sorry, that I did what I did, I’m really sorry. You can call the police, if you like.” He bowed a little, biting his lower lip to keep the tears back.

“Calling the police would be a problem though…” Kris extended a hand, pulling the boy up, so that he would be standing straight in front of him.

“Why?” Chanyeol breathed out, startled and blushing.

“I only wanted to study in peace at the library, ok?” The older man started off, unexpectedly, with an excuse. “And then one day I met you. And you were bubbly and cute and just when I was about to break my no-coffee-break rule and ask you out, you ran away, like Cinderella, leaving a notebook behind.” The words caused the curly-haired Korean to widen his eyes in surprise.

“So I open this notebook, cause I’m kind of nosey, and it turns out that it’s full of comments about me. It’s super embarrassing and I had no idea I looked like a girl when I wore those diamond earrings.” There’s a soft pink color, covering Kris’ cheeks and Chanyeol briefly wonders if it’s because of the cold.

“But you were gone. Just when I wanted to ask you a million things, you disappeared and no matter how much I asked around no one knew where you went. A brown-haired guy with too much eyeliner, said you moved to the Himalaya, or Tibet to be a Yeti, but I figured…” Kris shook his head in a no-way fashion.

“Wait!” A light bulb was switched inside Chanyeol’s head at that. “You asked around?

The blonde nodded energetically. “A couple of people from my Department, then I talked to the librarian who said you were a Chemistry major and then I practically interrogated everyone from your class to tell me all about you.”

Chanyeol thought about the scared looks everyone was giving Kris back at the classroom.

“Oh! And I’m probably banned from Administration, because I kept asking for your student’s file.” The Canadian added with a shrug.

“Hey!” It might have been kind of foolish for the younger man to attempt looking offended, when his whole face was painted red in embarrassment, but he didn’t let that stop him from trying.

“Do you have a problem with that, Mad Scientist Park?” Kris had crossed his arms in front of him, throwing challenging looks at the Korean and using the nickname that his classmates had come up with.

“That’s stalking!” Chanyeol announced, feeling suddenly bold.

“To be honest, I’m one of those people who hate being in the dark. It felt so unfair that you knew all about me and I knew nothing about you.” This was a new side of Kris. One that Chaneyol hadn’t seen before. And the curly-haired guy realized the object of his stalking might not be as innocent and respectable as he had thought.

“So I have decided to be your stalker, Park Chanyeol-sshi.” The blonde’s eyes were breathing fires and he was smiling evilly, tempting Chanyeol to come closer and have that smirk wiped off the older guy’s face.

 “Is that what you told my classmates? That you were my stalker? Is that why they were so freaked out?” The Korean took a step forward, thinking about what the chances of him having such a conversation with Kris really were.

“I told them I was going to follow you around, until you fall for me.” Kris put a hand on the boy’s face, caressing his cheek and not even bothering to hide a somewhat awestruck grin.

“Y-Yah! It’s only the second time w-we talk t-to each other, what a-are you doing?” Chanyeol said that, but remained in place, practically feeding off the warmth of the blonde’s hand on his face.

“I’m standing here, with a dorky Chemistry student, trying to figure out why I find the twitch in his left eye is so adorable.” Kris breathed out, tilting his head to the right to have a better view of the boy’s face.

“I’m also contemplating exactly what I will do to my bubbly stalker in the next ten seconds.” He added as his fingers ran down Chanyeol’s neck playfully.

“Are you joking around, because you know I like you?” It was a miracle really, that the Korean managed to say all that without whimpering, or stuttering.

“It’s good to know that you like me too.” Soft lips grazed the curly-haired guy’s cheek. “But, I never joke around. You might want to write that down.”

And Kris was obviously a crazy stalker and nothing like the impressive and unapproachable person Chanyeol thought he was, because he had no problem pulling the boy into a hot kiss and biting his neck until  Chanyeol was practically leaning on him for support.

“I’m never apologizing to you again. You’re a bigger stalker than I am.” Chanyeol whined later, as he tried to hide a hickey behind his scarf.

 “I won’t ask for an apology.” Kris was sitting on a bench next to him, wearing an excited expression that the Korean had never seen on his face before. “But how about a coffee date tomorrow morning?”

“And a ert. You’re also a ert- Wait… What?” The younger boy turned to look at him incredulously.

“You. Me. Coffee date. Tomorrow.”

The blonde flashed him a bright, genuine smile and Chanyeol wasn’t really in a position to say no. 

 


 

 

 

A/N: Apologies for the late update... I caught the flu, you guys. T_T 

I was sick and it and I have a big exam tomorrow. Please console me with pretty comments!!

Also, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! 

Are you going to have fun with someone you love today? Or just stay in?

If you don't have anything special planned for today and you're feeling grumpy, just think that I will be spending Valentine's day home, alone, studying and blowing my nose. 

So that's bound to make you feel better. 

Finally, a huge hug to everyone who has subscribed to this story (WOW!).