Two

The notebook

 

 

Chanyeol’s alarm went off with the most painful screech ever. It sounded something between kittens being run down by a truck and his mother shouting for him to eat his vegetables.

The half-asleep guy grimaced at the images and slowly got off bed.

“Baekhyun-ah…” He walked to the bed next to his and nudged his best friend to wake up as well.

“What time is it?” Baekhyun’s muffled voice came from under the covers.

“Seven.” Chanyeol looked briefly at the clock on the wall.

“I have no classes until ten, get away from me.” The smaller guy grumbled and turned around mumbling something about overbearing roommates and the possibility of getting a good night’s sleep without being interrupted.

“Then how about coming to the library with me?” The tall, curly-haired boy looked at the heap of covers that was his best friend and asked.

The pile moved for a while, probably Baekhyun’s desperate attempt to find a way out of the bedcovers, and a head of brown hair appeared, eyes glaring at Chanyeol.

“I am not going to stalk ‘Angry Eyebrows’ with you.” Baekhyun stressed every word. “Not this morning. Not ever again.

“His name is not ‘Angry Eyebrows’…” Chanyeol stuck his tongue out. “It’s Kris.”

“Please stop acting like you did not learn that by checking the ‘Borrowers’ List’.”  Baekhyun scoffed and fell back into his mattress.

“So what if I did?” The taller guy crossed his arms over a black, loose jumper.

“You’re a stalker.” His friend deadpanned. “You even have a stupid diary where you compose poems about his eyebrows, or something creepy like that.”

“I’ve told you a million times. It’s not a diary!” Chanyeol screeched and it sounded a little bit like his annoying alarm clock. “It’s a notebook.”

“I don’t see you denying the stalking and poem-writing, though.” In reality, Chanyeol was just interested in a guy much better looking and smarter than himself. And he went to certain extents and certain places to see aforementioned handsome and smart guy.

No use refusing that.

However, the things he put down on the notebook were, more like observations about the blonde guy’s way of living and habits, than fluffy love poems.

“I guess I am a stalker…” Chanyeol sighed desperately. It was time to admit it.

“It’s good that you finally accept it. I just don’t see why you can’t go up to him and say ‘hi’ instead of hiding behind bookshelves.” The shorter boy hugged his pillow and shuddered a little, before covering his head with a blanket. “And don’t give me a crappy excuse, like ‘he’ll never notice I exist’. You’re not a fourteen-year-old girl, so stop acting like one.”

“I haven’t found a chance to introduce myself. And I don’t want to come out desperate...” Chanyeol played with his curls absentmindedly.

“But you are desperate!” His roommate’s loud tone made the tall guy stumble back.

Chanyeol spent the entire ten minute walk to the library thinking about exactly how desperate he was.

He ranked himself somewhere between ‘completely desperate’ and ‘crawling on the floor with despair’.

And judging by the fact that he woke up at seven every day to go to the library because he knew Kris would be there, the result was pretty accurate.

Not to mention that, the past three months of his stalking, he had read sixteen books on International Relations (which wasn’t even his major) because the blonde Canadian read them.

Chanyeol felt to his bones just how big of a fool he was when the middle-aged librarian, greeted him with a bright smile and announced that his ‘secret boyfriend’ was at the ‘Social Science’ section.

And then he even winked.

The curly-haired Korean banged his head so hard on the ‘Psychological Theory’ section that the books trembled a little in their shelves.

But, despite the utter shame of being labeled as a stalker by both his best friend and the middle-aged librarian of his university, Chanyeol only lasted five minutes before cautiously stumbling to the left part of the library where the ‘Social Science’ section was located.

Kris was sitting close to one of the study tables, head hunched over some book about the effects of Globalization in the Eastern culture. The fresh sunlight of the morning was running through his blonde hair and Kris was rhythmically tapping his notebook with a black pencil and Chanyeol thought he was pretty much in love with him.

From time to time, the tall foreigner would flip to the previous page, re-read something with his thick expressive eyebrows meeting together over his nose and he would slowly scribble something on the notebook, using soft and energetic .

Chanyeol briefly shut his eyes, letting in the sound of the pencil moving on the paper flow in his system, absolutely certain that it was the best sound in the world.

Everything about Kris was magical to Chanyeol’s eyes. From his tall and straight posture, to the serious way his eyes roamed on the pages of library books and the soft sighs that he let escape his lips when it was nine and he needed to be somewhere out of this library and to the real world.

Chanyeol hated nine o’clock with a burning passion.

Because Kris was a Public Relations’ major and he had his classes at the other side of the campus from where Chanyeol’s Chemistry Department was located. So there was no chance for them to meet after nine.

The Korean pulled out his ‘stalker’ notebook, as Baekhyun had nicknamed it and turned a blank page.

‘February 3rd, 2013. Contemplate changing majors.’ He wrote down and then promptly drew a line, erasing it. He actually liked being a Chemistry major. Even though all his classmates called him ‘Mad Scientist Park’ and the smell of burnt skin never seemed to leave the labs.

He absent-mindedly checked his previous notes. Nothing resembling poetry, he consoled himself. Just small comments about how orange fitted Kris surprisingly well, but white was even better. Or how Chanyeol thought this one book, which Kris had read around three times was so confusing that the Korean had nothing good to say about it, except for the fact that it made him fall asleep within five minutes.

The Korean smiled and wrote a little note about Kris furrowing his eyebrows when he realized he had forgotten about something he just read and went to the previous page to check it.

‘He looks tired.’ Chanyeol scribbled, stealing looks at the blonde’s dark circles. ‘He should have some coffee before coming here.’

He thought about how he would also love some coffee at that moment and without realizing it, wrote that part down as well.

“Ah, having coffee together every morning would be nice…” Chanyeol whispered against library books and then hurried to cover his mouth, since Kris was suddenly looking at the shelves right in front of him.

The Chemistry major was starting to debate whether Kris had heard him, or not, when, out of nowhere, the tall Canadian picked up his things and began walking towards him, in big steps.

At that point the curly-haired boy was having a mini panic attack, hands shaking and head turning left and right hysterically, while his feet stubbornly refused to move.

It felt almost like things moved in slow motion.

Kris turned to the aisle he was hiding and run his fingers across the books of the second shelve from the top, eyes checking around him for something that -Chanyeol was pretty sure- was not a crazy, curly-haired stalker.

Without thinking, the boy shoved the small ‘stalker’ notebook inside his backpack (that was open in his arms) and turned around to make a run for it.

“Erm… Excuse me.” Kris’ voice was soft and manly, but with the familiar tinge of sarcasm and confidence, audible even when he whispered.

Chanyeol stood there, back turned to the other guy, heart beating out of his ribcage and brain going numb.

“I’m sorry. I’m looking for a book on ‘human uality’, do you happen to know where-” The blonde’s sentence was cut short with the loud ‘thud’ of Chanyeol’s backpack hitting the floor and the boy turning around, wearing his you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me expression.

It took Kris ten whole seconds to figure out what was wrong with his words and the Korean made a mental note to put down on his stalker notebook an entry about the tall Canadian being completely oblivious.

“Oh! No, it’s not like that. Actually, I have a class…” The older man rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “I’m taking a selective course on ‘Individual Differences’ so…”

All the curly-haired boy could do was nod, his mouth still hanging open in surprised.

“Do you know where I can find a book like that?” Kris continued, a small, only slightly forced, smile on his lips.

“A-about human s-uality?” Chanyeol repeated, fully aware that he looked like an absolute idiot and that this was probably the worst first-meeting of his life.

The other nodded, like it was no big deal. “Yeah, I want to write a paper on homouality and its impact on society.”

That sent the Korean choking and blushing so much that he thought his face was on fire. Of course Kris was cool and confident enough to ask a complete stranger about books on homouality.

And to be honest, it wouldn’t have been so bad, had Chanyeol not been the blonde’s very awkward and very dedicated, male stalker for the past three months.

But Chanyeol was not and so he had no other choice but to look down in shame and cover his moth with his hand, in some futile attempt to keep the whimpering to a minimum.

“Are you okay?” Kris sounded a little kinder, the conceited undertone in his voice disappearing completely.

“Are you against same- relationships? Or just very, very shy?” Chanyeol shook his head to both.

“Ah! Then, did… did I startle you?”  The Canadian laughed a bit.

“Sorry about that…” He said. “Sometimes I tend to come out too strong.” And he put a comforting hand on Chanyeol’s arm, which didn’t feel comforting at all, but instead made the boy jump a little on the spot, heart drumming in his ears.

“I-I have to g-go.” He stammered, kneeling down to pick his backpack and then backing away blindly. “Check t-the Psychology section, f-for your b-book.” He called out before practically running away from the guy of his dreams.

“That’s it.” He announced to a startled Kyungsoo, during lunch at the cafeteria. “I’m quitting this… this stalking thing.”

Kyungsoo had the decency to lower his chopsticks and stare at him. “I though you said it wasn’t stalking.”

“Of ourse ii wa talkin.” Baekhyun, right next to Kyungsoo, said through a mouthful of rice.

Chanyeol clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Well, whatever it was, I’m quitting it.”

“What happened? Did ‘Angry Eyebrows’ find out and called the police on you?” Jongin put in with a smirk, making the other two members of Chanyeol’s group snort in laughter and even spit out some rice.

“His name is not-” Chanyeol sighed, abandoning every attempt to reason with his friends. “If you want to hear the whole story, stop with the teasing.” He threatened and the three guys nodded obediently.

Chanyeol explained the situation, making sure to tone down the parts where he was an obsessive criminal taking notes on his victim and highlighting the points where Kris was a shameless foreigner who thought it was normal to ask about human uality and stuff.

“If you weren’t doing something wrong, you wouldn’t have freaked out so much. He only asked for a book after all.” Kyungsoo shrugged going back to his food.

“I know, right?” Jongin grinned at the somewhat short boy with the big eyes.

“That’s why you should have just introduced yourself from the beginning, instead of being a coward.” Baekhyun added, ever so helpfully.

“He was too hot and I was shocked.” The curly-haired guy blurted out, before blushing slightly.

“So you decided to compose poems about his eyebrows instead.” Chanyeol decided he had had enough with Baekhyun’s jokes.

“I don’t write poems in my notebook.” He huffed and turned to pick up his backpack. “Here I’ll show you.” He announced and put both hands in to find said notebook.

He began by fishing out a tutoring prospectus that an annoying classmate had handed him earlier that day. Then came his keys, wallet, cellphone and a whistle that he didn’t even remember buying.

“It’s not here.” Chanyeol’s hands froze while holding out an old T-Shirt.  He looked up with wide alarmed eyes at his friends.

“It’s gone… The notebook is gone!” He said and it wasn’t exactly a shriek, because guys don’t shriek, but it went pretty close to it.

 


 

 

A/N: Aaaw, guys... Thank you so much for subscribing and reading and everything! I'm seriously touched!

This chapter is dedicated to my personal prompt generator, Bi, who takes time to brainstorm for my stories. 

Sorry if for some of you this chapter is nothing new... 

I'd love to see your comments on the story. So don't hesitate!