stage- 02

Heart of Ice

chapter three

- - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Han-na clamped her lips together and nodded, "Oh... Well, I never knew you had a girlfriend." I grinned, "I was just never brought her home before... Oh, Sa-rang, this is Han-na, my neighbor." Sa-rang's cheeks were crimson, and her eyes were wide open. Probably from being shocked of what I called her.

Surprisingly, Han-na smiled and bowed slightly, "Annyeong Sa-rang. It's nice to finally meet Jong-dae's girlfriend; he always seems to hide his feelings. I wonder how he acts like with you?" Sa-rang cracked a smile and bowed lower than Han-na, "Annyeong Han-na. Actually, Jong-dae is pretty cold, but he's not as bad as he may seem." 

I chuckled awkwardly as the two looked at each other -more like glared- and led them out the door, "Okay, so we're just going to head to the party. Hopefully, there's food because I'm hungry." 

Han-na crossed her arms across her chest and Sa-rang glared at me with a icy, cold look in her eyes as if saying, 'I hate you', but I simply ignored their attitudes, and continued on.

 

 

"Jong-dae, it's good to see you again!" Baek-hyun squealed and hugged me tightly. I slightly chuckled and gently pushed Baek-hyun off of me, "It's been at least five days since you last saw me, Baek-hyun." I replied. Sa-rang raised an eyebrow at the closeness and snickered in the back, "Ooh~whose this? Is she your girlfriend? Omo, Jong-dae! She's so adorable! I love her already!"

Han-na fired with jealousy and strutted over to Min-seok who was busying himself with two older noonas at the booth. I glanced over at Sa-rang's face to find her blushing, and Baek-hyun was smiling like a dork. Why do girls always like my friends over me?

"Yes, this is my girlfriend, so hands off," I joked and Baek-hyun laughed hysterically, as if I told the world's funniest joke. Sa-rang giggled, and I tightened my grip on her wrist, "Jong-dae, I'm just really surprised you found yourself a girlfriend! Ha! I never knew you'd have the heart to actually like someone!" 

My jaw tightened and I heaved a sigh before walking away from him. I've always thought Baek-hyun was the kind of guy that laughed and joked around, and didn't know until he had actually hurt someone. 

Sa-rang slowly dragged behind, getting caught within the crowd. I searched the crowd looking at numerous faces that were unfamiliar. Sweat rolled down my face, and I wiped it with the back of my hand. 

The crowd was so big, that there wasn't enough breathing room for me. I could hear someone squeak my name, but I didn't stop walking. I was headed for the rooftop.

I felt Sa-rang's hand slip from my grip, and I immediately turned around trying to find her. I looked around and couldn't hear my name being called anymore. She was gone.

 

 

I looked around for Sa-rang, but had no luck. She was stuck in the crowd of the party. 

I groaned in frustration, and found Chan-yeol sitting with a group of girls and Jong-in making out with -I guess- the hostess. Chan-yeol saw me, and his eyes darkened, but his smile grew. His fake smile grew.

"Jong-dae, nice to see you. I was surprised to find you here." He greeted, and there was a sharp tone to his voice. He wasn't happy to see me. Jong-in pulled his face from his "girlfriend", and smiled brightly, "Oh, Jong-dae!" He began, then his face changed to a puzzled expression, "I didn't expect you to be here... Hmph, well, I'm glad you could make it. Usually, you're not the party type." 

I rolled my eyes and gave them an annoyed look. They knew how I felt when they pointed out my coldness. I always turned down party invites, even if it was to karaoke.

"Have you seen a girl? Chan-yeol, I know you've seen her before. At the cafe. She's here with me, but I lost her. Have you seen her?" I asked. Chan-yeol's jaw tightened, and I could see the muscles in his jaw flex.

"No. I haven't seen her. Isn't she your date? Why should I care?" Chan-yeol coldly replied with a nasty snarl on his face. I wasn't shaken by Chan-yeol rude attitude. Instead, I smoothly ignored his snappy remarks and shrugged, "I'll just go look for her then," 

I could feel Chan-yeol's eyes boring into my back. What did I do to him that made him so mad?

As I made my way to the bar, I saw Sa-rang wrapped in Baek-hyun's arms. I knew it. I slowly walked over to them, cocking my head to the side and squinted. What were they doing? Was she already making out with one of my friends?

I got closer, and Sa-rang wasn't hugging Baek-hyun; it was Baek-hyun that was tightly hugging onto her. Her face screamed, "Uncomfortable" and "Pain", and I pulled Baek-hyun roughly away, "Yah! What are you doing? Can't you take my words for once?" I scolded.

Baek-hyun blinked, "Jong-dae, you don't even know the story. I'm hugging her because first, you lost her in this crowd and she's your girlfriend, and second, I felt sad for her. She just told me that she just came from China in search for you, and is running from her abusive parents. Do you know anything about your girlfriend?" 

I raised an eyebrow and looked at Sa-rang in shock, "I-i-is this the truth? Sa-rang, how come you never told me this before?" I asked. She looked away as if to not look in my eyes. 

Baek-hyun grabbed my elbow and gave me a harsh look, "Jong-dae, I'd hate to say this now in front of her, but you're a jerk. I don't know what the others are saying, but from the people I talked with, we're tired of your coldness, and your harsh treatments. You're not how you used to be. What happened?" 

I looked at Sa-rang, and she glanced at me before hanging her head low, "Being abandoned, that's what happened." I stormed to the stairs pushing people rudely out of the way.

 

 

I stared at the twinkling lights in the city. It was two in the morning, and I was standing outside, on the rooftop, in the cold, cooling down my temper. This always happened. 

I heard the rooftop door open, and the loud rock music thunder, and the door closed gently. It was probably another couple out here to make out and then go back in after realizing I was up here. I didn't turn, but I felt a head lay on my back, and hands wrap around my wasit. 

The warmth was like nothing I've experienced before. It wasn't like the hugs I have gotten from girls before, instead... it was like a memory. A warm, gentle memory.

"I'm really sorry... I abandoned you... I really shouldn't have left." The soft, angelic voice whispered over the booming bass from the party. I knew exactly who it was, and sighed, "Sa-rang, it wasn't you who abandoned me-" 

"Shut up! I'm trying to apologize. Didn't you ever realize that I never apologized no matter what? This will be the only time you'll hear this from me."

I stood there in silence being embraced by her small petite body. I could feel her chest rise and fall as she breathed heavily on my back. This brought sad memories from the past, and Sa-rang's almost unaudible whisper filled the empty, winter air.

"I'm sorry, Jong-dae. If I stayed by your side, you wouldn't be this hurt. You wouldn't be having any difficulties with your friends, and you wouldn't be this cold. It's all my fault, and so I'll stay by your side." 

"I don't need your sympathy, pity, or help. I'm living fine by myself. My parents were the ones that made me like this, not you." I coldly replied. My breath steamed in the chilly air, and I felt the hairs on my neck spring up as Sa-rang stepped away from me and turned me around. 

Her big eyes were glistening with tears, and her lower lip quivered, "Jong-dae ah~ you've suffered so much. Now that your friend, Baek-hyun, had told me the things you've been through... I can't abandon you like your parents. I may not be as warm-hearted as other girls may be, but I'm your best friend, and I'll melt that heart of ice of yours." 

I felt my heart pound against my chest. She was doing it again. Whenever Sa-rang pitied me, she would always take it to the extreme. The tears, the trembling lip, the shaking voice. It was all an act. I was too used to her acting to take her sweet words.

"You don't know anything that I've been through because you ran off to China to look for shelter for your problems. I'm just trying to live through life and face everything that I can. You can take the blame, but I wouldn't really care because I don't like you." I tore my eyes from hers before I would start to feel painful, regretful because...

I still really liked her.

 

                Author's Notes 


Thank you for reading and subscribing~ This is the third chapter! Finally! I'm sorry for the slow updates, I'm super busy due to my schedule (school, sports, etc.) but I'm trying to update as much as I can. I'd love it if you commented, but it's okay if you don't want to! I'm not pushing you ^^ ugh, this is not the best.... OTL